Family Portrait

The Gift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara quietly stood as she watches people go around the living room as they prepare for a photoshoot. She can't believe that she agreed with this, but how can Dara refused Sekyung when she asked her about it three nights ago.

*3 nights ago*

Dara went to the kitchen to grab some water when she saw Sekyung staring blankly at the wedding portrait of her and Seunghyun. She looks at it with much longing and sadness. Dara is about to let her be, but she decided to check on her.

"Sekyung?"

Sekyung looks at her direction, "Ohh. Dara..."

"Can't sleep?" Dara asks.

Sekyung shook her head. "Not yet. Seunghyun is still in his home office. I'm waiting for him," she explains. Dara nods. 

"You?" Sekyung asks.

"I'm just going to get some water and snacks. I need to study a bit before sleeping," said Dara. Then she looks at the portrait and back to Sekyung. "Are you okay?"

Sekyung stares back at the portrait, "Yeah, I'm fine," she said but with a sadness in her tone.

"Okay, I'll let you be," Dara turns her back on her, but Sekyung calls her. "Dara!"

She stops on her track, and Sekyung walks towards her. She stood in front of her. "I've been asking you a lot of favor that you're not comfortable with, but I'll take my chances and ask you again for another favor," Sekyung said.

Dara blinks, "What is it?"

"A family portrait," Sekyung said.

"Ohh. You want a family portrait with the kids?" Dara clarifies. Sekyung nodded. "Yes. To be completely honest with you, I was kind of envious when I saw your pictures with Seunghyun and the kids on the oceanarium. I've been dreaming of a family with Seunghyun, and I wasn't able to give him that. I wish I could, but I..."

Dara held her hand up to stop Sekyung from speaking. Sekyung stops upon seeing her hand.

"You don't have to explain everything to me, Sekyung. I understand. And yes, you can have a family portrait with the kids. They will love that. I love the idea of it," Dara assures her with a smile. Sekyung smiles brightly and hugs Dara.

"Thank you, Dara,"

*end of flashback*

"You look lost," someone said. Dara looks behind her, and Donghwi was there. He took a step closer and stood beside her. "Everything okay?" he asked.

Dara sighs, "Sekyung asked me if she can have a family portrait with the twins, but I didn't expect that it will be like this. It looks like a fashion photoshoot," Dara frowns.

"Mrs. Choi just wants the family portrait to be perfect for her husband. You know, something she can leave for him if her time is up," Donghwi casually said. Dara nudges his arm with her elbow. "Yah! You're so crass," she mutters.

"Just being realistic. And there's no one crasser than me than Shin Sekyung herself. She takes death like she's just going abroad or something," Donghwi stated before she looks at Dara. Dara is just in her loose-fitting polo and pants. "You're not going to join them?"

"God, no. That will be so awkward," Dara huffs.

"Don't you want a family portrait too?"

"I have it already. When the kids e," she said while still looking at the people in the living room.

"But they are six now," Donghwi points out. Dara scowls at him "I don't understand why Seunghyun keeps you. You're annoying,"

"I'm good with my job," Donghwi fixes his tie.

"Mommy!!!"

Dara looks around and saw Haneul running towards her. His polo shirt is open, and his hair is mess-up. Haneul hugs her thighs. 

"What's wrong, my prince?" she asks.

"I don't want to wear this. I want the panda one-sie that Uncle Seungri gave me," Haneul pouts. Then Miseok arrived, carrying a small box tie and suspender. "I'm sorry, Dara-ssi, but she suddenly runaway," Miseok explains.

"It's okay, Miseok," Dara said before she removed Haneul's arms on her thighs before kneeling. "But you look cute in these clothes. Can you wear them for a few hours? I'll let you wear your one-sies after this, okay?" Dara asked nicely.

"I don't want to!" Haneul tears up.

"Please? For Mommy?"

Hanuel was hesitant. Dara wipes his tears. "Daddy and Mama want to have pretty pictures with you and Haru. Mommy wants you to be handsome in those pictures. Please wear these for a few hours? Hmm?"

Haneul sighs, "Fine," he pouts.

"Aigoo... What a good boy," Dara said before kissing Haneul's chubby cheek. The little boy smiles happily and hugs his mother. Dara held her hand out for Miseok, and Miseok gave her the bowtie and suspenders. Haneul let go of her, and Dara stares at the stuff in her hands. "Wow, you're going to wear this? They will look good on you!" she said excitedly. Haneul giggles as Dara starts to fix his polo shirt. Haru arrived with Seunghyun and Sekyung. Sekyung looks lovely in her off-white dress while Seunghyun wears a white dress shirt and pants with a light cream coat. Haru wears a pink dress. Dara finishes it by putting the bowtie and suspenders on and fixing Haneul's hair with the comb that Miseok lends her. She stood up and smiles at her son.

"There you go," she says before looking at Haru. "Aigoo... Who's this pretty girl?" she teases. Haru giggles, "Mommy, it's me,"

"Ohh. My Haru. Aigoo. You're so pretty in that pink dress," she said to the child. Haru twirls around for her and smiles.

"Why haven't you dress up, Dara?" Sekyung asks.

"For what?"

"For the pictorial," Sekyung said.

Dara shook her head "No, you just go on with it. I'm not comfortable with it," she says.

"I think that you should also have a picture with the kids. I know you already have lots of it, but this will be like a formal one. Just you and the kids," Sekyung explains. 

Dara shook her head again, "It's fine. I don't want to,"

Seunghyun sighs and looks at Donghwi, "Is everything ready?"

"Yes, sir. They can start whenever you're ready," Donghwi said. Seunghyun holds his wife's hand. Sekyung glances at him. "Shall we?"

Sekyung smiles and nodded. Seunghyun and Sekyung toward the photographer to greet him. Dara crouches down to talk to her children.

"So, you'll be having pictures with Daddy and Mama. I want you two to smile and do what the photograph

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter