Book and Pororo

The Gift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sekyung enters the doctor’s clinic. With him are another doctor and a nurse. The doctor smiles at him and asks her to sit down.

 

“How are you, Ms. Shin?” the doctor asks.

 

“I’m okay, doctor,” Sekyung said and smiles. The doctor looks at the monitor before speaking again, “Where is your husband?”

 

“He’s at work,” she said simply. The doctor looks at her, “Ms. Shin, you know that I will also inform your husband about what we’re going to talk about, right?”

 

“I know, but talk to me first, Dr. Lee,”

 

Dr. Lee sighs, “Ms. Shin, your condition is getting worst. I really don’t recommend the discharge that you ask since we can’t monitor you at home. I will recommend for you to get admitted and take treatment,” Dr. Lee said.

 

Sekyung remains silent, “Doctor, do you have a child?” she asks.

 

Dr. Lee rest his back at his seat, “Yes, I have a son,”

 

“I don’t have a child, but my husband has children with another woman. It happened a week before our wedding. I’m supposed to feel angry at him but I can’t since I wasn’t able to give him a child, and those children, they are so lovely that I feel like I am their own mother. Is my illness affecting my morals for being thankful to the children’s mom for giving my husband two beautiful children?” Sekyung asks.

 

Dr. Lee remains silent and looks at their two companions. He looks back at Sekyung, “Ms. Shin, if you want to live longer for your husband, you must stay here and have your treatment,”

 

“That treatment will only make me live here and don’t see our children. I wanna be with them as long as I can. I can’t be with them if I’m stuck at this hospital,” Sekyung defends. Dr. Lee huffs and leans a bit closer, “Ms. Shin, your husband, and children will worry more about you. You’re getting weak and your immunity is weakening too. I’m sorry, but I will inform your husband about this,”

 

Sekyung panics, “Dr. Lee… I mean, Ikjun-ah, please. Give me some time. I need to be with them and make sure that everything will be okay once I’m gone, please. Just tell my husband that I need a regular checkup, I will come here for that, but please, let me spend time with them. I want to be with them,”

 

“Sekyung, you’ve been my patient for so long and we become friends, but as your friend, I’m also worried about you in a personal matter. Just get admitted and we will take care of you,” Dr. Lee Ikjun said. Tears fall from Sekyung’s eyes. The nurse hurriedly gets some tissues and gave it to her. Sekyung pullout some and wipe her tears.

 

“I’m giving you a month, Sekyung. Just a month. After that, I will tell your husband to admit you hear. No more extensions. And I want you to be here every 5 days for a checkup,” Dr. Lee said. Sekyung nodded and smiles while tears still fall from her eyes, “Thank you, Dr. Lee,”

 

---

 

“Aish! This ! We have to perfect this report so we won’t take the quiz but this is so complicated,” Hyoni huffs before she rests her back on her seat.

 

“Calm down, we still have two weeks before the report. Let’s just focus on what’s on our presentation,” Dara said. Kiyong leans closer to Dara, “Noona, how about we do our report this weekend so we can finish immediately,”

 

Dara panics internally. Weekends are for Haru and Haneul and she promised them that she will cook for them tomorrow and ply with them.

 

“I don’t think I can do this report by the weekend,”

 

Hyoni crossed her arms in front of her, “Why?”

 

“My weekends are already packed,” Dara shrugs. Hyoni grins, “Are going on a date?”

 

“No. Who has time for that?” Dara scowls. “Anyway, we have shared documents online. We can just add and remove unnecessary stuff. I will check on it if you change or add something,”

 

Kiyong agrees while Hyoni thinks Dara is hiding something. Dara checks her watch then starts packing her stuff. “Come on, our next class starts in 5 minutes. I want to sit in front so I can focus on the lesson,” Dara said. Hyoni and Kiyong start to pack their stuff and leave their table. Dara wasn’t aware that she left her book on the next seat beside the seat she sat down to.

 

---

 

Sekyung got home after her checkup. Haru and Haneul are playing in their playroom while Miseok is with them. Miseok stood up and greets her.

 

“Hello, ma’am. Haru and Haneul are done eating lunch. Have you eaten?” Miseok asks.

 

“I just grab a coffee. Can you make me some light salad and orange juice? I will eat it in the garden,”

 

“Yes, ma’am,” Miseok said before leaving. Haneul is busy playing blocks while Haru is playing will dolls. Haru approaches her and shows her the doll.

 

“Mama, look! I tied her hair,” Haru said.

 

“Wow! It’s so pretty,” Sekyung pats Haru’s hair. Haru is looking up at her and she suddenly frowns.

 

“What’s wrong, princess?” Sekyung asks.

 

“Mama, are you sick? You’re pale,” Haru whispers.

 

“Ohh. Mama is okay. I’m just hungry. I already ask Miseok to give me food,” Sekyung assures her and smiles. Haru nods her head but still looks sad, “Mama, do you want a… a kiss?”

 

“Kiss? Why?”

 

“Because when Haru and Haneul are sick, Mommy kisses us and we will be okay. Maybe, if Haneul and I give you a kiss, you will get better,” Haru said. Sekyung chuckles and hugs Haru, “Oh God, I really love you and your brother,” Sekyung said before letting Haru go, “Okay, give Mama a kiss so I will feel better,”

 

“Oppa!” Haru screams as she approaches her brother. Haneul looks up at her sister. “Let’s give Mama a kiss so she will feel better!” Haru said. Haneul immediately let go of his toy and stood up. He follows Haru and they approach Sekyung. Sekyung is crouching down while waiting for them. Haru and Haneul gave Sekyung kisses on her cheeks. Sekyung gave them a pat in their heads to thank them.

 

“I do feel better now. Thank you,” she said. Haru holds on at Sekyung’s hand and asks her to play with her so she gives in. Haneul went back playing with his blocks.

 

---

 

That afternoon, Ilwoo is checking some papers when a student enters the professor’s office. The student, who looks like a freshman, approaches his table.

 

“Excuse me, professor,” he said

 

“Yes?”

 

“I saw this book in the library a few minutes about. I think it belongs to a grad student in this department so I decided to bring it here,” the male student placed the book on Ilwoo’s table. Ilwoo immediately noticed Dara’s name. Ilwoo looks up at the student, “I know this student. Thank you for return the book,” he said. The student bows at him and left the office. Ilwoo picks up the book and opens it. Some pages have post-it notes on it with Dara’s handwriting, sighting some important details. Then near the end, there’s a photo in it. It was Dara with her children. He smiles upon seeing how happy Dara is.

 

He decided to give her a call and she answers immediately.

 

“Yes, Professor?” she asks.

 

“Ms. Park, did you lost something?”

 

“Ohh. I do. I lost my book,”

 

“I have it with me. I’m at the office,”

 

“Ohh. But I’m on my way home now,” she paused. “I will get it by Monday,” she said.

 

“You don’t need it?” Ilwoo asks.

 

“I… I do, actually. We have a report in Prof. Woo’s subject an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter