Little Hope

The Gift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's been an hour since Sekyung was rushed to the hospital. Seunghyun, Mrs. Choi, Hyeyoun, Hanee, Donghwi, and Jiyong are waiting outside the emergency room, waiting for the doctor to talk to them. Hanee keeps on crying while muttering her poor best friend's name.

 

"Ms. Lee, will you stop crying! My daughter-in-law will be okay." Mrs. Choi hissed. Hanee wipes her tears and glances at Seunghyun, who patiently waits for the doctor.

 

"Hanee, you should go home and rest. Let Donghwi drive you home," Hyeyoun offers. Hanee shook her head. "No, I will wait until I know that Sekyung is okay," Hanee firmly said. She looks back at Seunghyun again, but Seunghyun's eyes are fixed at the emergency room door.

 

Just then, the doctor came out, followed by two doctors and a nurse. "Dr. Lee, how's Sekyung?" Seunghyun asks.

 

Dr. Lee sighs, "She's getting worst. We need to put her in the ICU. She's currently unconscious now, but hopefully, Sekyung gains consciousness soon. She needs to undergo the treatment as soon as possible," the doctor explains.

 

"Do everything that is needed, Doctor Lee." Seunghyun said. "Please, save my wife, Ikjun-ah," he bows to Dr. Lee and the other doctors.

 

"We will do our best, Seunghyun. You can check on her once she's in the ICU," Ikjun taps Seunghyun shoulder before going back inside the emergency room. Seunghyun stood back up and sighed deeply.

 

"Ohh, dear. I hope Sekyung is okay," Mrs. Choi says. Hyeyoun holds on to her mother's arm, "Mom, let's go home. You're exhausted," Hyeyoun looks back at Seunghyun. "Do you need anything, Seunghyun?"

 

"Donghwi will take care of it," Seunghyun look at his secretary. "Drive Hanee home. Then, tell Misuk to prepare clothes for me and some of Sekyung's stuff," he commands.

 

"No!" Hanee stood up and approached Seunghyun. She held on to his arm that made the Choi Matriarch scowls. "I'll stay here!" Hanee dramatically said. Jiyong raised his eyebrow at her.

 

"Go home, Hanee. Come back tomorrow. Sekyung is resting. Meet her tomorrow. I need to drop by the office by tomorrow. You can stay here with her while I'm at the office," Seunghyun stated.

 

Donghwi approaches Hanee and bows to her, "Let's go, Ms. Lee?" Hanee sighs before letting go of Seunghyun's arm. She follows Donghwi out. Mrs. Choi and Hyeyoun hugged Seunghyun before leaving. Seunghyun sat down at the bench, and Jiyong sat down beside him.

 

"She'll be fine, Seunghyun. She's a fighter," Jiyong said. "She can get through this,"

 

"Jiyong-ah," Seunghyun mutters.

 

"What? Do you need anything?" Jiyong asks. Seunghyun looks at his friends and smiles. A smile that didn't even reach his eyes. "Go home. I can manage here," Seunghyun calmly said.

 

"I'll stay with you. I have nothing to do at home anyway," Jiyong tries to sound cheery. 

 

Seunghyun pats Jiyong's shoulder. "Go home. I also want to be alone. Besides, I will be staying outside the ICU later. You will get tired and bored. Just come back during day time and bring me some coffee and a sandwich,"

 

Jiyong can see that Seunghyun is struggling with what to feel in the situation he's in. Maybe his friend needs time on his own. Jiyong just nodded and stood up. "Chicken sandwich?"

 

"Yes, with cheese, please," Seunghyun says.

 

"Okay. Call me if you need anything," Jiyong said before leaving Seunghyun alone. Seunghyun sighs before taking out his phone. He received a message from Dara. She's checking on Sekyung.  Seunghyun quickly pressed the call button. Dara answers in the second ring.

 

"How's Sekyung?" Dara asks.

 

"She's unconscious now. The doctor said that she had to be in the ICU now. Under observation. She needs treatment as soon as possible," Seunghyun says.

 

"Ohh my. I hope Sekyung will be fine." Dara remains quiet for a while before she asks Seunghyun, "How about you? How are you?"

 

Seunghyun took a deep breath and sighed, "I don't know. I'm worried, but I don't want to overthink. Dr. Lee is one of the best doctors when it comes to her condition." Seunghyun said, and he tried to convince himself.

 

"Yes, she'll be fine. She will be okay," Dara says. "If you need anything, let me know,"

 

"I'm fine. Donghwi will bring some of Sekyung and my stuff by day time,"

 

"Okay. I'll drop by there tomorrow after I go out with the kids. I might as well ask Chaerin or Bom for a sleepover so the kids will be distracted. Haru cries herself to sleep, but Haneul helps to comfort her." Dara sighs.

 

Seunghyun feels terrible for the kids. They witness when Sekyung suddenly fainted. "Tell your friends that if they need anything to distract the kids, call Donghwi. I will inform him," he said.

 

"Yah. My friends are not as broke as me. They spoil our children more than you, me, and Sekyung combined." Dara jokingly said. At that moment, Seunghyun smiles. "You're funny, Dara. I guess I have to step up my spoiling game for our kids."

 

"You can try." Dara amusingly said. "Are you don't need anything? I can bring something tomorrow."

 

"I'm fine. Jiyong will bring me some breakfast tomorrow, and Donghwi will bring me my stuff," Seunghyun assures Dara.

 

"Okay. Take a nap if you can. Even for 10 minutes. Hell, even a second. Don't make yourself weak. Sekyung needs you more than anything now."

 

"I will sleep a little bit once she's in the ICU. Don't worry."

 

"Of course I'm worried. We're family, remember? My children's Mama is unconscious now, and their daddy is alone in the hospital now."

 

Seunghyun sighs, but he smiles at Dara's worried tone. "I'm fine, Dara-yah. Just sleep and treat the kids tomorrow. I will update you once Sekyung is awake,"

 

"Okay." Dara paused. "Everything will be okay, Seunghyun. She'll wake up soon and will nag you for worrying too much. She'll be okay,"

 

"I really hope so," Seunghyun said. "Good night, Dara."

 

"Good night, Seunghyun."

---

 

Hanee checked herself in the mirror before she went out of her car. She's carrying two cups of coffee and some pastries. She asked the receptionist where is the ICU, and the receptionist told her the direction. Sekyung is i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter