Back To School

The Gift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara has been looking for a parking space for 10 minutes. Thankfully, she went 1 hour early to university. Sekyung wished her a good first day in school as she takes care of the children. She was grateful that the kids are distracted, playing with Miseok and another servant because Dara thinks she will have a hard time if one of them cries when she leaves.

Finally, she found a parking space. She carefully parks in there and got off of the car. She took a deep breath. She's back at school. She will take her master's course and in three years, she will finish it.

It's been 6 years since the last time she steps her foot in this school. There are some changes but she still feels familiar. She's heading to her classroom while admiring the surrounding when she bumped into someone. The man was carrying some folders and books. Dara was shocked.

"I'm sorry," she said while she helps the man pick up his stuff.

"No worries. Are you okay?" The man asks.

"Yes," she said without looking at the man."I'm really sorry."

"It's fine." The man said. Dara bows to him and looks at her watch. "Ohh. I'll be late!" Dara bows again to him and she hurriedly left him.

When Dara arrived at her first class. She noticed that there are lots of young students in this class. But of course, they are since Dara is 6 years older than them. She decided to sit down on the second row in the middle part of the class. She took out her book, pen, and notebook. Suddenly, someone seated beside her. The girl looks like a model. She's tall and very fashionable. The girl glances at her and smiles.

"Hi." the girl greets her.

Dara bows her head and greets her, "Hi."

"I'm Hyoni. Kang Hyoni. You?" Hyoni asks.

"Dara. Park Sandara." she said.

"Nice to meet you, Dara-yah," Hyoni said happily while waving her slim fingernails at her.

"Yah. Are you bullying her?" a guy said. Dara and Hyoni look at the man. He's tall and handsome. He looks like a model too. 'What's with these students looking like fashion week models than students?' Dara thought. He sat down on the other side of Dara. Hyoni rolls her eyes on him.

"I'm just introducing myself, idiot," Hyoni said. Dara stares at the man. The man looks at her and bows his head, "Hi. I'm Jang Ki Yong." he said.

"Park Sandara. Just call me Dara." she shyly said.

"Are you a transferee?" Hyoni asks. Dara shook her head. "I took time off," she said.

"Ohh. That's cool. What year did you graduate from your undergrad?" Ki Yong asked. Dara was hesitant at first but she answered it. "I graduated my undergrad 6 years ago," she said.

"Wow!!! So, you're technically our sunbae!" Hyoni said with amazement.

"You're in your 30's?" Ki Yong asks in shock. Dara nodded.

"Wow. You look younger than us. I'm jealous." Ki Yong shook his head and pouts. Hyoni and Dara chuckles.

Then, someone enters their classroom. When Dara look who is it, the man stood up in the professor's podium. She knows him. It was Jung Ilwoo. Dara was a year ahead of him. She and Ilwoo used to be closed back then. There are also times that she likes Ilwoo but it never pushed through since she wasn't able to enroll for her master's degree back then.

Ilwoo smiles as he stares at his student then he saw her. Park Sandara. They were friends back then and they even study together. But she suddenly disappears after she graduated. He was expecting her to enroll in her master's class but she didn't. He clears his throat. He took a blue folder and tests the mic if it is working.

"Good morning, class. I'm Jung Ilwoo and I will be your professor in this subject" he said. "Okay. I will check the attendance first before we start the introduction." Ilwoo said and called the student one by one. Then he calls her.

"Park Sandara," he said.

Dara raised her hand "Present, S-sir." She stutters. Dara mentally kicks herself. Ilwoo smiles and closes the folder before he starts the introduction to his subject.

Dara finds Ilwoo as a cool professor. She admires how well he teaches and how easy-going his lesson is. She looks at his left hand and finds if there's a ring. None. Cool. Then, she shook her head. She shouldn't be acting like a teenager. She's a mom and she's there to study. She looks back at Ilwoo who is discussing something on the board. She sighs. Having a little admiration for her hoobae-turned-professor wouldn't be so bad, isn't it?

After the class, Ilwoo went to the faculty room since he has a vacant time before his next class. He opens his laptop and opens the university portal. As a professor, he has access to students' profile so he searches for Park Sandara. He was surprised when he found out that she's did stopped for six years after she graduated from her undergrad course.

"Who's that?" Someone asks. Ilwoo minimized the window. It was his professor's friend, Lee Minho. Minho smiles at him and sat at his chair beside Ilwoo's table.

"You wouldn't believe it if I tell you," Ilwoo said before opening back the window on his computer and show it to him. Minho take a good look and covered his lips in surprise.

"That's Park Sandara, right? Dara sunbae! That's her." Minho said.

"Yeah, it is her. She's my student. She even stutters during attendance." Ilwoo smiles.

Minho scoots closer to him "Yah, didn't you have a crush on her back then? You even told me that once she graduated in her undergrad and be in master's degree, you will confess to her," Mino says. Ilwoo looks at his friend and pushes him back to his table.

"Will you shut up? Someone might hear you." Ilwoo closes the student portal and opens another tab to check his schedule.

"Ahh... I remember when I used to get annoyed because you won't play basketball with us because you're studying with her or helping her with her research even we know you'll just sit there and stares at her," Minho said dreamily. Ilwoo picks up a piece of sticky notes, crumples it, and threw it at Minho. It hits his temple but Minho just tucked his tongue out at him.

Ilwoo sighs and looks back at the monitor. Yes, he used to like Dara back then and seeing her now, it suddenly feels nostalgic and something hidden in his heart wants to come out.

---

Dara is glad that she's classmates with Hyoni and Kiyong in all subjects. She likes Hyoni because she's quirky and straightforward while Kiyong is chill and a bad joker. Both of them are smart and friendly.

Hyoni decided that she will treat them to celebrate their first day in their master's degree. They went to the cafeteria and Hyoni paid for their meal.

They pick a table beside the window.

"Let's make this our spot during lunch. Good lighting, nice view, and we can boyfriend hunting here," Hyoni said while looking outside. Kiyong huffs "Yah! You're in a master's degree now. Have you dated enough on your undergrad?" Kiyong points out.

"Undergrad is just a test. This is the real deal. My future depends on who will I date now," Hyoni said before looking at Dara, "How about you, Unnie? Do you have a boyfriend? Wait. Don't answer. You're married, right?"

Dara smiles awkwardly and waved her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter