Are we friends?

The Gift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sekyung stares at her phone while shes sitting at the edge of the bed. She loves looking at Seunghyun's picture with the twins. It makes her happy. But when she saw his photo with the twins and Dara, she feels envious. They look like one happy family.


When she starts dating Seunghyun 10 years ago, she had a vision of her being married to him and having three kids with him. She wants to raise their children with him, send them off to college, get them married, and be able to take care of their grandchildren as they grow old together. But she got three miscarriages, and now she has a fatal disease. She can't have her dreams now, a family with Seunghyun.


The arrival of Haneul ad Haru in their lives is a miracle for Sekyung. She got to experience how to be a mother, and she can see how happy Seunghyun is with his children. As much as she wanted to feel betrayed by the man she loves, she has no energy to do it. Her time with him is limited, and she wants to leave him with happy memories.


Seunghyun comes out of the bathroom, buttoning up his dress shirt. He then noticed his wife looking at her phone again.


"Yeobo," Seunghyun calls her. Sekyung looks up and smiles upon seeing her husband. She sets her phone aside and stood up. Seunghyun approaches her. Sekyung helped him to button up his dress shirt.


"You're staring again at those pictures?" he asked. Sekyung gives him a shy smile. "I love those photos," she simply said before she fixes his collar and goes to the walk-in closet to find some necktie. Seunghyun follows her.


Sekyung opens the tie drawers and looks at it. She picks up a blue tie and faces her husband.


"What's your plan for today?" Seunghyun asks. Sekyung loops the tie around his neck. "Take care of the kids, of course." she smiles. Seunghyun places his hands on her waist.


"You think I didn't notice?"


"What?" Sekyung is serious while tying his tie.


"You always look at those pictures ever since you saw it," Seunghyun points out. Sekyung finishes it and wraps her arms around her husband's neck and tiptoe to kiss him. "What about it?" she inquires.. -Seunghyun sighs before pulling her closer to him.


"What's wrong, my love? I know something is bothering you. I can see it in you," he said with full of concern. Sekyung gives him a sad smile. "You know me so well," she paused. "I love those pictures, seriously. But I also feel envious of it. We could have that if I didn't lose our children," she said.


"Yeobo, please, don't blame yourself," Seunghyun begs her.


"I know. I just feel sad whenever I remember it. Seeing you with Dara and the twins make me feel envious. But it's okay. I'll be okay," she mutters.


"Be honest with me. Are you comfortable that Dara is living with us? Because if you don't, I can talk to her about the living arrangement with the twins," he said. Sekyung shook her head. "No, not like that. I'm okay that she's around. She has been a good company for me when you weren't around. She's a good person. I'm okay with her being here. And even if I don't, which I'm not, it will be hard for the kids to be separated from her. I don't want them to be stress out because of it," she explains.


"And I don't want you stressing yourself over this. Just say a word, and I'll do whatever you want," he said.


"Then, just let her be here. Let me be with the twins for a year. Let me experience being a mom to them. Hmm?" Sekyung asked. Seunghyun sighs and kisses her forehead. Sekyung grins before kissing her husband's cheek. She let go of him after that.


"Go, you'll be late," Sekyung told her.


"I'm the boss so, I can be late," he points out.


Sekyung giggles, "You're the boss so, you need to be a good example to your employees," she swatted his arm lightly before he gets out of the walk-in closet. Seunghyun follows him after he picks out the coat that matches his pants.


"I'm just going to check the kids downstairs," Sekyung said. Seunghyun nodded before she left. Seunghyun sighs, but he just wears his coat and checks himself in the mirror.


Sekyung went to the dining area and saw the twins eating their breakfast as their mother attends to them. The kids are enjoying their meal while Dara is having her breakfast, too, and watching them at the same time. It's been a month since the classes start, and Sekyung can see how busy Dara is with her studies, but she always makes time for her kids.


"Good morning," said Sekyung in a cheery voice. The kids look up to their step-mother and smiles.


"Good morning, Mama," Haneul greets her.


"Did you sleep well?" Haru asks.


Sekyung nodded and approached them. "Yes, Mama slept well," she says before looking at Dara. "You're going to university early today?"


"Yes. I need to brief my groupmates on our report later. I need to check their files before we go ahead on our report." Dara explains. "Uhmmm... Sekyung, is it okay if I come home late tonight? I'm meeting my friends because we're celebrating Bom's promotion,"


"No worries," Sekyung assures her.


Seunghyun arrived at the dining room and greats them. He even kissed the top of his children's head. Then he stood beside his wife and rest his hand on her waist. "Walk me outside, please," he asks nicely.
Sekyung smiles fondly at him. "All right,"


The couple leaves Dara and the kid. Dara sighs. She wishes she also has something like Sekyung and Seunghyun had, but she already past that phase of wanting a relationship with someone. She wanted it before, but having the kids now is her priority.


Two hours later, Dara is with Hyoni and Kiyong in the library, finalizing their report. Dara becomes their leader since Hyoni doesn't want to, and Kiyong thinks that Dara is more capable than Hyoni, which earns him a smack on his back by Hyoni.


"Okay. I think we're all set. Kiyong-ah, did you made copies of our presentation?" Dara asks as she closes her laptop.


"Yes, Noona. I even saved it on my Google Drive just in case," Kiyong put his laptop on his bag and stood up. Dara and Hyoni stand up too. Hyoni gave her laptop bag at Kiyong, and he willingly takes it.


They walked out of the library and headed to their class. Hyoni is checking herself on her phone as she speaks, "We should eat out for lunch. We have two hours break before the next class. Anyone up for pizza?"


"Call," Dara said with a smile

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter