hungover

The Fifth Season
Please log in to read the full chapter

The heat dumbs you down. At first you think, ha, it’s warm again, thank goodness, I can function with no calories involved — but soon the sun proves to be a tricky, capricious god. Your instincts relax, and without noticing it, you start playing foolishly. You drink too much — and then you drink some more; you say what you really think — and then you spill the things you kept buried deep inside. You reprimand your best buddy whose approachability you’ve started taking for granted. You go to sleep first, before your seniors. And, judging by the stickiness of your skin, you don’t wash up before sleep, either. The last step of this heatwave stupidity attack had to be a suggestive selfie sent in a fit of lust and loneliness.
Im Nayoung checks her phone. Right. She took the last step, too. Jieqiong sent her a flurry of appropriate emojis in return. And even though there are no selfies of Jieqiong sent in exchange, her lover seemed to be very pleased, so, at least, that turned out okay. 
But otherwise last night was cringeworthy.
Trying to facepalm, Nayoung finds out she can’t move her other hand. The reason for her untimely incapacitation is, as idols say, CLC clear. Turns out, like many people, Sowon prefers to have company while sleeping — and she has taken advantage of the forest base’s sleeping arrangement. There are no bunks, just two rows of sleeping bags, so Sowon’s inner cuddle monster let itself out. For Nayoung’s whole left side, the result is pitiful; Sowon, however, seems to enjoy herself, being glued to her best buddy. And even if those are great news — 
«Sojung, wake up and get off of me. Sojung! My arm is asleep because of you».
No response.
Huffing, the Stone lifts Sowon — who’s still sound asleep — and pushes her pal’s body to her left. With no hesitation whatsoever, Sowon latches onto her other neighbour — Nayeon.
Enjoy the right Im, Nayoung thinks, looking at the picture she created. I’m 100% sure the bunny has been dying to get cosy with you since our first bus trip to the boot camp.
She adjusts Sowon’s blanket, scrambles onto her feet and stumbles towards the exit. 
Shouldn’t have drunk the last one. That rant on romancing foreigners was a bit excessive. Oh well. Therapy is expensive and invasive, while friends and booze are reasonably affordable and forgiving. No wonder we’re all drowning in our mistakes.
Her thoughts get spooked as she crosses the threshold. Despite an ungodly early hour, someone was already on her feet. Or, rather, their feet, for Nayoung gets nearly knocked over by Eunbi and Heehyun, both with towel turbans on.
Ruby cheeked, Iz*One’s leader clumsily sneaks past her fellow sergeant, but Heehyun has no problem with heartily greeting her Produce pal. 
Nayoung smirks, noticing Eunbi’s stilted walk, «Was our resident hottie scrubbing your back? Or did you ask Eunbi to turn the valve for you? She’s quite a heavy-lifter».
Heehyun lifts her brows, «We’re in the middle of the woods, leader Im. I wouldn't pee on my own here, let alone shower. That was a mere safety measure».
«Uh-huh», Nayoung hums, watching a satisfied smile bloom on the rapper’s face. «Get some sleep, while you can, Casanova. Congrats on nullifying your spinster club membership».
Disappearing behind the door, Heehyun drawls pleasantly, «You’re my chillest friend, Im».
«You’re my fiercest, Ki», Nayoung echoes and walks out into the sunrise, which is filling up the front yard slowly, — and sees an improbable scene.
Iron-willed, with a bulletproof body, Seolhyun is running laps in front of the camera. She’s half-singing, showing off her commitment to the highest idol standards. It is so early and so quiet that Seolhyun is consciously lowering her voice to almost a mutter. Moreover, Seolhyun’s footsteps

Please log in to read the full chapter