the barbecue night

The Fifth Season
Please log in to read the full chapter

Over your shoulder, I see the fifth season coming, YooA sings, following Mimi’s rap part. The blonde maverick wrote two verses to advertise the show and their group, now the duo is performing it prettily like a ballad. So-called ’healing’ sells, Mimi thinks, watching YooA making eyes at the camera. Second best, after . And we need it. She applauds, and her pals — Exy, D.Ana, Haein, Kei — follow her suit. She should write to Jiho and tell her her idea has worked.
«Now, privates», Seolhyun orders, standing tall and proud, «I think while the cooks», she nods at Eunbi, Heehyun & Co, «are doing their thing, we must build a fire».
«Lieutenant Kim!» Mimi calls out, «May I request to be the one to build the fire?»
«Certainly, private Kim».
«Lieutenant Kim!» Exy yells. «Permission to join private Kim?».
«Certainly, private Chu».
«Jiyeon, film me while I am building the fire! Stand behind the camera oppa!»
«Look pretty, Exy-ssi, and smile», the crew man orders, taking the best position to film both Exy's face and crouching Mimi’s . 
Cringing on the inside, YooA wedges herself in between her best pal and the man, trying to look nonchalant about it. Quicksmart, Haein stands right next to her and pulls her own phone out, «Look, Jinye! We’re building a campfire! Say hello to Mimi and Exy! Say hello to our lieutenant!»
Seolhyun blows a kiss into the phone, earning an excited squeal.
«Jinye, say hello to your platoon mates!» Kei echoes, flashing her own phone, where Mijoo is waving like a loonatic. 
Seunghee bumps into Kei’s shoulder, Siyeon covers Seunghee’s left, and D.Ana finishes their line of defence. In the whirlwind of phones and cameras, amidst the shots of discharged idols in different states of glamour or distress, Mimi’s gets lost completely. The platoon mates overwhelm the crew with their fight for screen time; they part only after Exy shouts, «Hurray! We did it!»
The fire looks good, and their lieutenant looks pleased with their joint work.

***

The barbecue night starts off with a lousy announcement a crew member makes Seolhyun spell out for the show. 
«It’s called manoeuvres», Seolhyun says to her fellow ’95 liners, wrapping a piece of meat into a perilla leaf carefully. «It’s nothing new, really. We used to exercise to sharpen our bodies, now we will exercise to sharpen our minds».
«Reading sharpens minds, but I don’t see any books, lieutenant», Kei comments.
«Fair point, private Kim», the resplendent senior nods. «Still, manoeuvring will let us exercise our tactical thinking. We will get deep into the woods on a mission. We will learn to assess levels of danger and search for the best ways of averting crises».
«So, there will be danger and crises», Seunghee raises her hand toward , trying to make her sardonic tone sound amused. «You have an interesting way of promoting manoeuvres, lieutenant Kim».
Seolhyun straightens her back, «There is always danger and crisis. But we must remember that we are familiar with those already. I know we can overcome anything».
«Annd cut! Great take! Thank you, everyone! 'Till tomorrow!» a tired crew man yells.
The idols screech in return, «Thank youuuu! See you tomorrow», and watch them pack their equipment and leave, mumbling about being fed up with all this.
«Okay, sunbaenim», Heehyun says, once they’re sure the crew are busy with themselves, «spill the beans about our mission».
«It’s fairly simple, kids», Seolhyun answers. «Tomorrow night, we’ll pack the tents and go camping. Friday is the d-day, we’re — supposedly — taking a so-called fort. Really, we should be lodging at some shabby shack, not unlike this one».
Seolhyun points at their forest base with her chin. Her field uniform jacket is ed, but a flannel shirt is peeking from underneath: the night is slightly chilly, even with the campfire burning in front of them. Seolhyun is crowned with a lush herb wreath, the platoon's best one, and with her hair down, she looks like a dryad.
«Sunbaenim, you really rock those inspiring speeches. But your pre-Zarnitsan speech was the best», Siyeon comments, taking a stray leaf out of her garland. «This one lacks profanities».
«Thank you, Siyeon-ssi, I’

Please log in to read the full chapter