Special Date

Chocolate & Coffee
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For someone so introverted Ji Changwook pulls off the most amazing dates.

After breakfast Minyoung went ahead to her apartment first in Changwook's car. She managed to get dressed and also make her apartment presentable by the time Changwook arrives. But she barely let him absorb her apartment when she threw her jacket options at him. Once he picked a fur-lined denim jacket she hastened them out the door for the much-anticipated bike date.

And it was the best date of her life. She could tick off one item on her bucket list when he took them to one of the many bridges across the Han river. It was as beautiful and fun as she imagined it would be.

There were a couple of moments where she couldn't resist spreading her arms out and pretending like she's flying along the Han till Changwook shouted over the exhilarating hum to not let go.

Whatever Changwook described about the experience was absolutely true. But even better was wrapping her arms around his waist and burying her face in his back. Occasionally, when they have fleeting pauses in traffic, she's able to get a sniff of his old, weathered leather jacket's scent with a kind of breezy note. It's so addicting that she clung to his arm to be closer while they ate lunch at a restaurant they found. He didn't mind at all, effortlessly making himself lettuce wraps with one bound hand. Well it did take some teamwork with her adding the ingredients using her free hand and for him to wrap and feed the lettuce wraps to both of them.

They stroll around the vicinity and check out a local observatory before preparing to go to their next spot. Changwook was catching a cigarette break after asking her to wait by the bike.

Minyoung was getting really bored waiting that her idle mind went into overdrive. She decided to try and get a feel of the bike. The keys are with him so she can't move anywhere. But she can play ride.

Swinging her leg to the other side she scooches forward and takes the handles. Maybe because it's on side stand but she's excited that her foot touches the ground. But it takes a lot of effort to get the heavy bike to centre. Her body jerks thrice amid her efforts to pull the bike off its side.

She's not accustomed to something like this and she's pretty sure she gave herself a spasm in her neck or back with her violent jerking. She however manages to get the bike to move off the stand and for a split second she is ecstatic.

Until she realizes her feet can barely get a grip of the ground and she can't support the bike that's veering to the other side. "Oh-Omm-ah!" Minyoung thought she was done for and she scrunches her eyes closed, bracing herself for impact. But more than five seconds pass and there's no impact. In fact, she can feel herself still upright.

Peeking one eye open Minyoung lets out a yelp at what, or who, is front of her. Minyoung's eyes move from Changwook's chiding face down to his arm and at the hand that's holding the bike handle. He pulls the bike back on to the stand and lets go of it to pin her with a glare. "You know what, this bike can be fixed. You, not so much. So can you be careful?"

She pouts but nods nonetheless. She was honestly expecting him to yell at her for any potential damage to his bike, not because she could've hurt herself.

Changwook puts the bottles of water in their backpack before tugging her shoulder to get her to scoot backwards. Changwook gets on the bike himself, taking care that his leg doesn't hit her, and immediately she has her arms around his waist. As he puts on his helmet, he's relieved she can't see his giddy grin when she does that.

Changwook drives them to their next destination which is a busy market. He honestly wasn't sure what they'd do to pass time before his special surprise. He was even considering looking for a hotel nearby they could spend a few hours in. But finding the market in his research was a jackpot.

They binged on seafood, shopped for trinkets, took pictures, and goofed around. Later they found a pojangmacha where they spent hours drinking and eating.

By the time she was drowsy on soju she asked if they could find a hotel for the night. But he asked her to endure it for a few more hours. That's how they find themselves walking off their hangover on the way to the beach at 4 am in the morning.

The crisp sea breeze hits her as they get closer and she pulls her jacket around her tighter. "Are we going to do that cliché 'catch me' thing?" Minyoung quips, following him down the stone steps to the beach. "Like hell I am. You can do that by yourself." Changwook gestures at the waves, "Go ahead. I bet the water feels great."

"At 4 am? People are going to think there's a ghost of a woman who couldn't play catch me when she was alive."

"What's a good tourist spot without a horror story."

He decides on a spot a safe distance from the water. Dropping the backpack on the sand, he hands her the blanket from it. While she spreads it out on the sand, he has removed another blanket and throws it over her shoulders. "Are we waiting for the sunrise?" He nods to her question, stretching on the blanket and patting the spot next to him.

She finds his chivalry of not wanting a blanket for himself at the moment kind of annoying. So instead of offering knowing he'd turn it down, she plops on his lap and makes the blanket covers their legs and front. Changwook is surprised for a second but quickly accepts her warmth, wrapping his arms around her waist under the blanket and tucking his chin on her shoulder.

He's starting to see why Minyoung was so clingy today. Her natural scent mixed with the salty sea breeze is quite addicting.

Minyoung looks out at the sky in the front, her hand his jaw without much thought. "There are no stars... is it because the sun is going to rise soon?"

"If you want to look at stars look into a mirror..." she giggles at that cheesy line, a rare sound to him who hasn't heard her authentic laughter besides her mischievous, excited, and even evil laugh. "My dad says the same thing. So cheesy."

"Then I guess your dad and I would get along swell." She hums, sure that would happen provided her father and mother gave him a chance. He kind of senses her quiet hesitation and feels a pang of nervousness he's never had before. "Say... would I ever meet your parents?"

"... I don't know... depends..."

"on?"

 "whether you really want to."

"That's why I asked."

"... I you want to I'll introduce you to them. But I have to warn you." She twists in his embrace to face him. "You're going to have it lot worse than other guys who meet a girl's parents. You'll not just be grilled, you'll be under scrutiny till thy kingdom come. Forget trust, you'd have to work to earn the benefit of doubt."

"Wow... sounds tough..."

 "Yeah... well they have been a little extra ever since their only child upped and moved to another country to be the mistress of a ty oohead."

"I don't blame them."

"I might be the only person whose parents aren't keen on marriage."

 "Well my mother gave up nagging me after Soojung. Now she hopes I don't rush into things until the girl is right."

"So... would she think I'm... right?"

"A part of me thinks she's already decided she likes you."

"I wish I could say the same for you about my parents. They're quite inept in technology and keeping up with current affairs. Even if I was a national headline they're more likely to find out through a neighbour. They're not very intuitive like your mom obviously is."

"That doesn't sound like the parents of a lawyer."

"Doesn't it? They just never bothered. Dad is all about running his family restaurant.. Ever since mom retired from her office job she's been helping out at the restaurant. But even she's quite old school. It took a lot of effort just to get them to use a smartphone. And even then they're so impatient with this stuff. I'm pretty sure the house is flooded because Appa rushed with the repairs we did last summer."

"Is that why you need a place to crash?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter