Seizing the Present- 3

Chocolate & Coffee
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Yunho never told me he was in a coma..." Jaejoong looks down at the puppy enjoying his ride on the scooter leaving no space for her to keep her foot. Not that Jaejoong can bring herself to ride it as Hyekyo recounts the time Yunho had a skateboarding accident.

"His memory is blank for the few weeks before and after the accident. He even forgot his dance team won the regionals a week before the accident. We're lucky he doesn't have any permanent damage though."

Although Hyekyo says that l, Jaejoong can see she is not over that. And she understands. No parent wants to go through that after all. "Must have been hard on you..."

Hyekyo shrugs, "It definitely wasn't easy. But we were able to stay strong for Yonghwa's sake. He was a baby and Jihoon took time off work so we could take turns being with Yongwha at home and with Yunho in the hospital. Oh my God! I just remembered!" Hyekyo suddenly squeals attracting attention from other pedestrians. But as if that ever bothered her. "Yunho got out of his coma after Yongwha jumped on his stomach and yelled 'Wake up Hyungie! I want to play!'” She does a shrill, squeaky voice and a little wiggly dance to emphasize. “Heh! If I knew that was the trick, I would have gut-punched him long ago." Although Jaejoong doesn't think Hyekyo needs an excuse for it, she humors her.

They pass a certain cafe Changwook told her about in their little secret conversation a while back and she thinks it's perfect thing to take Hyekyo's mind off that memory. "Omoni, do you know if we take the left from the cafe and walk straight down, we reach an apartment complex." Hyekyo doesn't know what to do with that information till Jaejoong continues, "A certain hungry brat lives there."

"Oh..." a sinister smirk grows on Hyekyo's face, "Looks like we're visiting my other adopted son for dinner. Ah! Didn't he ride with you and Yunho today?"

"He drove Yunho and me home in the morning first. He said he would come home with us to get his car. But Changwook secretly told me that he lives 15 minutes away. Do you know his address in the company records is his old place?"

"Yunho told me that his youngest sister was misusing his place. I think it was a party or something... I do know that some important project papers were ruined and Changmin stayed up eight hours to redo it."

"I bet Changmin's sister got a piece of his mind."

"All I know is he tattled on her to their father. And then he moved, kept the place a secret and still had me make two dozen cupcakes for a housewarming present! I swear I'm going to see that super-secret evil lair in return for those cakes!"

Jaejoong wholeheartedly supports that crusade as she too has been made to toil away in the kitchen because a certain brat has nothing for dinner.

They make it to the supermarket soon enough although the crowd in there makes them wince. "We can leave faster if we keep it less than five items. Guess we should forget about the salad..." Jaejoong mutters, noticing the fast track counter has the shortest line.

"Alright. You get Bubbles' food, I'll get the rice. Whoever is done first should grab a spot in the line." After agreeing on Hyekyo’s plan, they scurry to the different aisles.

Jaejoong finds the dog food easily with help from a salesperson and gets in the line with the scooter by her side and the bag of dog food on her hip. Several passers-by were in awe of the well-behaved puppy sprawled on the scooter as she kept an eye out for Hyekyo. Jaejoong was happy to have the novelty of a dog on a scooter take all the attention instead of random guys gawking, leering, or flirting with her if Yunho is not nearby.

"Wow! You are so lucky to have a fancy ride chauffeured by such a cute owner!" Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, Jaejoong takes a gander at the man crouched in front of the puppy, rubbing its back. She can't see his face yet, but Jaejoong can tell this man is rich just from the very expensive suit on his back that could pay for half the store.

Oh great... another millionaire kidnapper...

The line moves ahead, so Jaejoong curtly excuses herself and pulls the scooter further with her. The man doesn't comment on her coldness, standing behind her with his six pack of Perrier behind her.

"Shopping for the little guy are we?"

Jaejoong grits her teeth before she curses out loud and plasters her 'appreciate the interest but no thanks' smile on her face before turning around to turn this man down. But the moment she sees his face, her practiced rejection speech flew out of her brain.

Alarms are ringing in her head, telling her to avoid confrontation. Her blood has gone cold and her heart is thudding fearfully in her ribcage.

Fortunately, the line moving ahead gives an excuse to not respond to the man. Hopefully her obvious evasive attitude will turn him off.

"Oh! So you aren't one of those..." now that is offending. Who are 'those?' She whips her head back heatedly to ask just that. 'Those' she is supposedly not part of better not be a good 'those' because this man's jewels are in very easy kicking distance.

His sense of self-preservation is yet to kick in because he's not seen Jaejoong's furious scowl yet. His gaze is lower, appreciating her - which she knows is exquisite to look at, but he’s the last man she wants leering at her.

"I'm waiting for you to clarify the 'those,' Mister," Jaejoong snarls when she notices this man's eyes suddenly fixated on her lips. He's definitely appraising her and she's ticking all the boxes, unsolicited as it is.

At least he has the awareness to respond with a lazy smirk. "I've seen many girls like you... y'know... the type who carry around little dogs in purses. But you obviously don't know who I am, or you'd be... well..." he shrugs, letting the implication hang. "I guess since I haven't been in the country for a long time, you wouldn't know me. Or I'd be grabbing every opportunity to see you."

"Flattering," Jaejoong snaps, "But I don't think we roam the same social circles to run into each other."

He an eyebrow, skeptic about her claims, "Women in my social circle have a ring, bracelet and bag just like yours. Although they won't be stepping into supermarkets wearing them. So, you are a little different."

"A little..." Jaejoong grumbles under

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter