Haunted by Past-1

Chocolate & Coffee
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The following arc will be in “Strawberry & Vanilla” and “ Chocolate & Coffee.” Thank you to those who suggested ideas for this arc.

Seunghyun is stuffing his jacket in the back of the Jeep when he notices Seungwon standing all prim some distance away. If he cranes his neck slightly, he can spot Jiseok pacing alongside the convertible while talking on the phone to someone.

Seunghyun goes over to the stoic secretary, some of Jiseok's conversation audible to him at this proximity. "Really, I'm fine... I didn't want to disturb you... it's not my first time in Jeju, hyung..." Seunghyun wonders if someone is worrying about Jiseok on the other line.

He nudges Seungwon who barely flinches or even shows that he acknowledged Seunghyun. "You guys weren't with us the entire time?"

"Sajangnim got an important call he had to take."

"Wait... we've been in the cave for an hour. He's been talking on the phone that long?" Seunghyun eavesdrops on Jiseok's conversation again. At this point he's whining to that person that he is indeed carrying a jacket but he can't use it because he hasn't gone inside the cave.

"Sajangnim doesn't have many people who worry for him. Only his cousin cares for him the way a mother should've."

That sounds like Jiseok had it tough. So Seunghyun doesn't get into his personal life. "So everyone is buying souvenirs and then we're going for lunch and then the beach. Any recommendations?"

"Yoojin-ssi seemed interested in that rooftop restaurant on the way here. I can call them right now." Seungwon slips away to make the call leaving Seunghyun to listen in on Jiseok.

"Really? You're really in Jeju for a vacation?...you just landed? I can’t believe it! it would be more believable if you said you're working... I'm not alone! I'm with friends... why would I be harassing them... yeah, I know I spoke crap about them all the time..." Seunghyun's mouth twists at that little information. He's so going to tattle on Jiseok to the others. "... okay fine! You're right. They're not bad people and I shouldn't have said all those things about them... I did not try to drown him and he's not on this trip."

"Hyun-ah!" Geunseuk yells from a distance. The rest of the group is walking farther behind him, making fun of Jaejoong for that spill she took in the cave earlier. Fortunately, Changwook came prepared with a large first aid kit for Jaejoong.

Geunseuk catches up with Seunghyun, noticing Jiseok's exasperated phone conversation. "Did he go inside the cave at all?" Geunseuk asks Seunghyun. "Apparently his cousin called. Sounds like he came to Jeju too."

 "Who's the cousin?"

"Beats me..."

They can hear Jiseok let out an incoherent whine. "Get a hotel!... but why hyung?!... alright... yeah, I'll ask..." Jiseok finally notices his audience and runs around the convertible to get to them. "Jang! My cousin is asking if he can stay with us at the villa?"

"Sure! Sure! The more the merrier. Jiseok's cousin," Geunseuk shouts into Jiseok's phone, "do join us. I hope you don't mind sleeping on the couch coz that's all we have left."

That person says something because Jiseok chuckles. "Hyung said he's fine with the couch.... Hyung, I'm sending Seungwon to pick you up okay? And get a gift hyung! This is a birthday trip!...ne, see you later."

He hangs up right when the others reach them. Minyoung and Heechul are arguing about whose turn  it is to drive the Audi when Jiseok snatches the keys from Minyoung. Before Minyoung could curse at him Jiseok is dragging Seungwon to the red car and shoving the keys into his hands. "Get hyung from the airport. He’s waiting! Hurry!"

Jiseok then proceeds to shove everyone in the Jeep where Yunho has already assumed the driver's position. It's slightly cramped with ten of them and the tiniest people aka Jaeha and Minyoung have to sit on Changmin's and Changwook's laps respectively but with Jiseok being so urgent and insistent, they didn't get to protest. It's as if he doesn't want to make someone wait.

The rest of the time Jiseok is behaving his fairly usual self, switching between snarky and clingy. They have lunch at the place Yoojin was looking forward to and Jaejoong is behaving weirder than Jiseok. She has a slight grimace on her face while chewing and occasionally she'd wince.

 Sitting beside her Yunho's keen eyes can tell she winces at the slightest movement of her leg. She did take a nasty tumble in the cave. And while they do tease Jaejoong, her injury would set off mass panic. Jaejoong would deny something is wrong, Changwook would nag her, Yoojin would worry, Jaeha would be sad thinking their fun is cut short, and then Jaejoong would cry.

As normally as one does, Yunho discreetly texts Changwook sitting directly opposite him that Jaejoong has hurt her leg and he needs to check it without attracting attention. Fortunately, Changwook reads the text as soon as he gets it and when he places his phone down on the table, he 'accidentally' knocks the spoon off it and it falls on the floor.

He bends to pick it up and also get a glimpse of Jaejoong's leg. But when he sits up straight with his mouth twisted, Yunho belatedly realises that Jaejoong's leg is covered in jeans. He's not even sure if Changwook would be comfortable asking to roll up her jeans or ask her to take them off if the injury is too high up.

While he's racking his brains for an idea Changwook has whispered something to Minyoung and she sprung into action. "Ommo! I forgot my wallet at home. Jaej, come with me to get it."

"Why do you need your wallet? It's my treat today," Yunho and Changwook wince when Seunghyun speaks. Minyoung though has a ready counter. "I want to buy some stuff."

"Why don't you ask Chang to buy it for you?"

"I want to buy. It. Myself." Minyoung grits out with a terrifying glare, effectively shutting up Seunghyun.

"But why do you need Jaejoong?" Jiseok suddenly chirps and Yunho was close to stabbing him with a chopstick. "I don't want to go alone, okay?" Minyoung tells him snippily while picking her bag, making sure her wallet is hidden. "Why don't you take your boyfriend then?"

"I want both of them!" Minyoung declares loudly, putting an end to any further interrogation. She punctuates it with grabbing Changwook's hoodie and yanking him up to his feet.

"Go..." Yunho whispers to Jaejoong and she timidly gets up and shuffles behind Minyoung and Changwook.

Yunho is relieved she's not limping and the others don't notice her pain yet. They only found Minyoung odd just now and since she's gone they resume eating.

~~~

"Are you sure we don't have to go to the doctor? What if it's broken?" Minyoung had said the same thing thrice since they stepped off the taxi. Changwook didn't know how many more times he can assure her that Jaejoong's leg is not broken.

"Don't worry!" Jaejoong locks her arms with Minyoung's and raises her left leg with the patch of gauze below the knee and two Hello Kitty bandaids on her ankle. "I've had lot of broken bones playing soccer. If it was really broken, I'd be very vocal about it."

"And she wouldn't be able to walk like she is now either. I already told you that," Changwook's 'I told you so' moment makes Minyoung wrinkle her nose.

"I should've worn the same clothes though. Everyone's going to make a scene when they see my leg." Jaejoong huffily pats the skirt of her dress when the wind puffs it up.

"My masterpiece can't be hidden in skinny jeans. Just look at how perfectly I aligned Hello Kitty with the teacup." Changwook makes big gestures at her ankle. "Besides they would find out anyway. At least now they can see you are fine and won't worry about you for the rest of the trip."

"By the way," Minyoung grabs her stomach when it growls, "are you guys hungry too? We left right when they brought out our food."

"I really want a coffee so bad... I see a cafe right there. Do you guys want to go?" Changwook points at a pretty cafe not far from them.

"I have no appetite. You guys go ahead. I'm going to look for the others."

 "No way!" Changwook shoots down Jaejoong's offer right away, "There are rocks there waiting for Kim Jaejoong to trip on them and you're not even steady on solid ground. Let alone sand. No way you're going alone. Min, you go with her. I'll get us some takeout."

"No! She's too tiny to help!" Minyoung wanted to protest but she can't. She really can't. "Fine. I'll go with you."

"But I don't want to go with you. You're just going to nag." Changwook was going to blurt something on the lines of "tough luck" but Minyoung halts whatever he'd say with a firm hand on his chest. "Look, we got to kick the little birdy off the branch so she can fly. Especially when little birdy is a grown 26!"

Jaejoong smiles smugly above Minyoung's head as if saying "yup, I'm a grown birdy!"

"Fine! But if you fall on your face, I'm not putting the bandaids prettily." Changwook huffs when Jaejoong cheers. "And try not to get the guaze wet."

"Just in case my delicious blood does mix in the water, are there sharks in Jeju?"

"Let's throw you in the sea and find out." Changwook earns a big punch to his hip from Minyoung for that comment.

"Go! I don't want to look at your st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter