Seizing the Present- 4

Chocolate & Coffee
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minho barely acknowledges the random employees greeting him at every step, taking purposeful strides towards a familiar place. It’s quite crowded here for a Saturday though working on weekends in their company is optional. He knows his brother is often busy with meetings on weekends while he prefers to use his day offs to visit his mistresses. So it shouldn’t be surprising that he will find his brother here at the main office even though he arrived without a warning.

The secretary outside the office stands up from her seat to greet him, duly informing him that the chairman is at a meeting. Minho pays her no heed, declaring he's waiting inside, so she better call him.

Minho stands in the centre of the massive office, clean and quiet as it always has been. The large desk is mostly bare as was ingrained in him and his brother by their father.

Lee Sangchul is from a time when corporate espionage was rampant. After he caught a former employee making copies of papers on his desk, Sangchul carved it in his sons' brains to never leave documents in the open.

Minho knows every paper of importance is in the safe built into the desk with a password only known to the chairman and a contingency plan with the secretary. The lone computer has all the security features too. But it's pointless when it's hardly used to store anything. The chairman doesn't have to directly work on anything on a computer. He has an army of people for that. In recent years, calling and mailing on the phone has become a way to get work done besides tasking the secretary to handle other things.

Minho has used this habit to keep things out of his father's radar under the pretext of defence from corporate espionage. He hated his father's surveillance, rather putting up with it for no rewards.

 Unless you can call the world's worst wife a reward while your brother gets this office you dreamed about.

The name that's not his written in gold above the designation of Chairman is a mockery of everything he put up with.

He spent hours in this office learning under his father, listening to his drivel, repeating it verbatim, getting scolded by him in front of employees, all while his brother was winning medals in martial arts competitions, traveling, taking photographs, visiting his cousin’s grandparents and playing with that immature cousin of his.

Minho walks over to the windows, remembering a time he dreamed of owning this view of the Itaewon skyline, sitting on that chair which he considered his father's throne. Now that throne is someone else's.

"Oh... what's this..." Minho only now notices the photo montage playing on the computer's screensaver. What a curious series of photos…

He easily recognizes the famous waterfalls in Jeju having been there several times. What gets him is the group of people in the pictures.

His workaholic brother was in Jeju and sightseeing? Where did he even find so many friends with everyone so intimidated by his wealth? Minho doesn't look at quick changing series of photos very closely but he doesn't recognize any of those faces photographed from a distance though one guy seems vaguely familiar.

They are candid photos, so some people are blurry because of movement. One picture has the group's back facing the camera as they walk down a hiking trail in a single file.

Minho makes a mental note to ask his brother about his vacation, especially about the kid he's piggybacking in the one that just appeared.

But that all fails when a surprising series begins. A familiar, beautiful woman he only saw today is the focus of a series of ten photographs of her crouched over a few rocks in a stream, to her plucking a fish with her bare hands and rejoicing, to her covering her face when she realizes she's the focus of the camera.

So Miss Director of the Dessert Room has some connection to his brother. What a small world...

Minho struts to the chair across the table and sits on it before pulling out his phone. He already looked up the Dessert Room location and he knows where the nearest one is.

Now he looks at the people working in it.

He wonders if the pretty girl is a nouveau riche entrepreneur with a chain of restaurants that has fallen into his brother's social circle. From her photographs alone, Minho can tell there's some affection from the one behind the camera. And his brother is the photographer. Wouldn't blame his brother if he too is enraptured by that beauty.

His search for the Dessert Room director gives him pictures of two beautiful women.

"Kim Heechul and Kim Jaejoong... didn't her mother call her Joongie?" Minho is sure he now has a name. He doesn't need to know more.

He reaches for the computer monitor and turns it till he can treat himself to that screensaver again just in time to a picture of Jaejoong strolling on the beach. "Kim Jaejoong huh..."

"What about her?"

Minho jumps with a shriek at that voice,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter