Our Present- 3

Chocolate & Coffee
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Open you stupid thing!"

Was what Changwook hears on his way back to his office from the washroom. Other than a few folks in the R&D department and security, the building is supposed to be empty. Even his secretary is not supposed to be here.

Cautiously Changwook peeks past the glass doors to check the intruder, phone ready to call security in a second. Instead he finds Jaejoong wrestling with his secretary's desk. And she looks horrible!

Her cold shoulder denim dress has stains of muddy rainwater that was splashed on to her left side by some vehicle. Her hair is in a messy bun and little wet but her messenger bag seems secure with its rainproof material.

When Jaejoong curses at the innocent desk again Changwook appears out of hiding. "Whatever you're trying to do, just know there's a camera behind you."

Jaejoong yelps loudly when she sees Changwook. Realizing how incriminating she looks, she lets go of that drawer holding her hands up.

"What are you doing here?" Jaejoong beats him to that question, to Changwook's surprise. Offended and indignant he gestures wildly at the room, "This is my office! What are you doing here?"

At that Jaejoong has the sense to look sheepish. She drops her bag on the floor and opens it to rummage through its contents. "I was supposed to send the papers from that permit thing to your lawyers yesterday. But you know the rain and all..." She fishes out the brown envelope with a cheer. "If Changmin found out I didn't send it on time, he's going to yell at Yunho and then make some very embarrassing comments about... certain... things... affecting... my efficiency." Even if he didn't know Changmin, Jaejoong's blushing face is hint of what Changmin might say.

"Still doesn't explain why you're trying to break into my secretary's desk."

"Oh that... I have her permission. I texted her earlier and she told the security to let me through. And she said to leave the papers in the first left drawer." Jaejoong mournfully points at the offending drawer that wouldn't open.

"I think she forgot to mention you need a key to open any of her drawers. I have the spare." Changwook motions for her to follow him to his office. "How did you get here?"

"Yunho dropped me nearby on the way to the new house and I walked from there."

 "I suppose you got splashed on your walk here."

"This..." Jaejoong dusted the dried mud on her dress fruitlessly, "A loser splashed me, then came back to apologise and ask my number. So I left a nice footprint on his windshield and flipped him off."

"Good girl!" Changwook pats her head for brilliantly getting rid of another unsolicited ert. When they enter his office, Jaejoong remembered something and claps. The lights turn off right then much to Changwook's annoyance. "So she told you huh..." Changwook sighs, clapping again to turn on the lights.

"This is fun! The clapper was the second type of lighting I wanted."

"What's the first?"

"The motion sensor ones. Yunho says they could put that in the indoor pool." Jaejoong looks around Changwook's office for the first time.

It seems very similar to Yunho's, but more minimal. Yunho has a lounging area and a television in his office besides few ornamental plants and storage equipment. Changwook has storage cabinets in one side of the room, no plants, and more personal items like pictures and trinkets. The lounging area is outside opposite his secretary's desk. Suits Changwook who wants more familiarity and entertaining fewer people.

"What are you doing here though? I thought you weren't going to be here."

"I left early yesterday. So I had work to wrap up."

It doesn't take more than a second for Jaejoong to figure out why Changwook left work early. "Is Eonnie okay? Did seeing that person upset her too much?"

 For a moment Changwook doesn't know how to answer Jaejoong. He could lie but Jaejoong seeing Minyoung is unavoidable today and she'll know that Lee Minho did more than just ignore her. There are very few options for him apart being vaguely honest.

"Minyoung... is doing okay... but not okay enough... you'll see later. Just... try not to freak out too much." Jaejoong doesn't give much in the way of a response, visibly tense as she imagines the worst-case scenario. "Don't freak out already. Yunho will kill me if you cry."

Though Changwook is joking both know Yunho will at least maim the person who made Jaejoong directly or indirectly cry. So Jaejoong rubs her eye with the back of her hand and inhales her sniffles.

"Anyway, give the papers to me." Changwook holds his hand out for the envelope. Jaejoong looks at the hand extended towards her and then at his face, expression confused at best. "I realised a minute ago I don't know where the key is. Anyway my secretary or lawyers would bring them to me anyway. So you can just give it to me."

He does have a point. So Jaejoong takes off the clip that she used to keep that important slip attached to the folder and holds the slip to him. "Can you sign this to confirm you got the papers? I took the liberty of writing yesterday's date."

Changwook smirks victoriously knowing Jaejoong owes him for this. If he's smart about the timing he could have one day at the Dessert Room without getting cut off at the third cup of coffee.

He coolly takes the slip and signs on it, making sure Jaejoong knows he's doing her a favour. Once he's done, they exchange the receipt with the papers and Changwook goes to one of the cabinets to tuck it away safely.

"Are you going to the new house after this?"

Jaejoong looks up from her examination of the muddy stains on her tacky shoes, "Yeah. I'll take a taxi. I'm too tired packing. We've moved all our clothes and personal stuff, the kitchen is ready and the little furniture that was not part of the apartment originally will arrive in the afternoon. And Yunho's parents are probably there by now."

Changwook's breath hitches when he hears that. Yunho's parents will probably check on Minyoung first thing.

He's been anticipating Yunho's reaction but now his parents... it's small consolation that it's not his mother or Minyoung's parents there.

He haphazardly stuffs the papers in the nearest drawer and goes back to his desk. "If you don't mind waiting for about 30 minutes I'll finish up my work and we can head home together. You can treat yourself in the pantry. On the right side of the elevator. The washroom is next to it too if you want to clean up."

"Okay! I'm grabbing a coffee."

"Oh! Oh! For me too!"

Jaejoong gives the coffee maniac a look and skips out of there but not before clapping the lights off for fun.

"Everyday she turns into that evil brat..." Changwook grumbles, clapping the lights back on.

He settles in his chair and resumes his work with urgency. He's happy that he only has to go through a few emails and he can call it a day. He was in the middle of replying to the last email when there's a knock on the door.

Assuming it's Jaejoong, who has only been gone 10 minutes, Changwook is slightly confused why she's knocking as if he wasn't expecting her.

"Come in..." He hollers without looking up from his laptop. He hears the door open but not shut. But he doesn't hear any approaching footsteps. Not that he can be too concerned about it when he's missing his secretary solely because he can't remember all his remarks on the last spreadsheet and type this email at the same time.

"Secretary Kim, I need you to help me type this email quickly." He only hears a soft gasp like he said the unthinkable. "You owe me one. And you've done this befo-" The supposed response from Jaejoong makes him look up in amusement only for it to be replaced by shock.

That's not Jaejoong at all. It's not even someone who's supposed to be here. Chae Hayoung is not supposed to be here.

The cause of his almost heart attack fidgets rather exaggeratedly, like she's the one in the awkward position.

"I'm sorry... you... uh... mistook me for your secretary..." Hayoung simpers subtly, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear that is adorned with a dazzling emerald stud. It matched her olive draped dress that seemed to curl way too high into her right hip giving a teasing glimpse of her one pale leg. "I'm sorry to intrude. There was no one at the front desk. I just assumed your office would be here."

That tells Changwook she specifically came looking for him. Why? He's sure he'll find out soon enough.

Now he is frozen in his spot as Hayoung feigns a gasp. "Oh! How crude of me! I haven't even introduced myself. I'm Chae-"

"Chae Hayoung..." Changwook completes for her, startling her. "We've met before. You probably don't remember." She couldn't. Not when he remembered not too long ago himself.

Months ago when Minyoung told him about her past, he looked up Lee Minho and h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter