Haunted by Past-10

Chocolate & Coffee
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jihoon and Hyekyo cautiously step into the private room only to discover their tiptoeing is unnecessary when Jaejoong is wide awake, big eyes not covered by that mask fixed on them at the door.

Hyekyo narrows her eyes at Yunho for squeezing his ginormous body on to the bed that should only be comfortable enough for Jaejoong. He's laid down on his side, but one little nudge will land his back on the floor. Hyekyo is the kind who would do that, especially to her own son. So he straightens up when his parents come closer.

"Yunho, you better go see Changmin. He's overwhelmed making up for the incomplete work." Jihoon puts the two overnight bags he's carrying on the chair near the window. "Your mother and I will take turns to stay with Jaejoong. We spoke to the doctor outside. He said Jaejoong would probably be going home tomorrow. Still no reason for you to slack off."

Hyekyo agrees with her husband, planting herself on the chair near the bed. "That's right Yunho. You've got things to do. Go along with your father. Get a new inhaler too. And a spare. The doctor was quite insistent since Jaejoong went for years without an attack and now she's had twice in a year."

Hyekyo doesn't see Yunho's face go dark at that reminder. He schools his features quickly and hops off the bed, sliding into the slippers he had on since they rushed out of home. In fact, he's sure the others are wearing the same borrowed slippers they had on at home.

Yunho takes Jaejoong's hand he had been holding the whole time and tucks it under the blanket. "Don't run away!" Yunho teasingly orders Jaejoong making her crack a smile under the nebulizer mask.

"Don't worry. I won't let her out of my sight, " Hyekyo makes the 'I see you' gesture for emphasis.

After promising to return in an hour, Yunho steps out of the room with his father. With them gone, Hyekyo gets her phone out and takes a picture of Jaejoong. "Your mother wants to see you..." Hyekyo says while sending that picture of a wide eyed Jaejoong to her mother. "I spoke to her already. She's fine. She doesn't want you to worry. And I promised her to push you into a pool as soon as you're ready to go home."

Jaejoong seems sad for some reason which is disheartening for Hyekyo. "Do you need anything honey? Are you hungry? Yunho told me you didn't get to eat anything today... it's almost dinner time..."

Jaejoong doesn't exactly respond to her question. She moves her arm, trying to take her hand out of her blanket. When she struggles, Hyekyo helps release Jaejoong's hand from the covers. Jaejoong lifts her hand to reach for Hyekyo's and the older woman understood. She places her hand palm side up close enough for Jaejoong to write something on it. It takes two tries for Hyekyo to figure out what Jaejoong is drawing on her hand.

"Minyoung?" Jaejoong nods. "All your friends are outside... Junsu's boss sent her home a few hours ago... but Minyoung, Heechul and that Jiseok kid aren't there..." Hyekyo sees Jaejoong's eyes well up out of sadness for her friend. "Honey... Minyoung is a mature and strong woman. There's nothing she can't handle. Besides, if you don't care for yourself first Minyoung would feel really bad." Though from what she's heard Hyekyo is sure Minyoung is probably blaming herself. But she can't tell Jaejoong that.

"Let's not make Minyoung worry about you okay? Now you're lucky two experts helped you before it got worse. If you get better you will go home tomorrow. But I'm going to stay with you for a few days. Jihoon will substitute for you at the Dessert Room. So you're going to have to get used to me watching you while you sleep like this." Hyekyo proceeds to cup her face and widen her eyes to make what her sons have dubbed ‘the silly psycho face’ which is effective in making Jaejoong smile.

Changmin had dumped a bunch of papers on Yunho and Jihoon without interrupting the phonecall with a section chief as soon as they stepped out. They were sitting on a waiting bench and filling out the forms for Jaejoong's insurance when someone places a bag next to Yunho.

"Three inhalers. One should be on her, one at home and one with you. Also keep track of the doses and maintenance." Yunho nods at Changwook's instructions. Jihoon in turn gives Changwook a rewarding pat on his arm for helping save Jaejoong. A slight blush crept up Changwook’s face when feels a little emotional because he's experiencing that fatherly affection for the first time, covering up his choked emotions with a cough. "Seriously though, she needs to start swimming again."

"She did try the public pool. But it was crowded with families she can only float in a spot."

"About time you get that club membership again for pool privileges," Yihan appears behind Changwook carrying a bag of his own.

"This could be a good opportunity to renew our memberships too. Chang should bring Minyoung," Seunghyun squeezes between Changwook and Yihan to place two bags from a coffee shop on the bench.

"Sure we'll have to see the stuck-up snobs, i.e, the regulars there. But it's worth it for Jiji. And we have to keep her from getting kidnapped by other rich losers." Geunseuk gestures at their little group. "The Jaejoong Millionaire Fanclub is exclusive. We can't be letting in just anybody. By the way, is Jaejoong up? I got her this amazing pillow."

"Guys, Jaejoong will most likely be discharged tomorrow. You don't have to set up camp here. And there's no need for all of this either. Eomma already got us dinner."

"But I will take the pillow. Sleeping on that tiny couch can be rough." Jihoon plucks the pillow from Geunseuk's hands.

"Don't worry about it Yun. We want to be here." Seunghyun waves off his concerns.

Changmin returns after ending his call then, barely acknowledging Jaejoong's fanclub. "Hyung, if you're done with the forms, I'll take them to the office."

"I got this." Jihoon passes his new pillow to Changmin, "Take a breather kid. Don't want to check you in next for exhaustion." Jihoon takes the remainder of the forms from Yunho and heads to the elevator.

Now that it's just them, Yunho takes a good look at who is here and who is visibly absent. "How did you guys know anyway?"

"I had actually called Chang to ask if he wanted to go out for drinks," Seunghyun raised his hand. "He told me where he is and I told these two."

Yunho didn't mind really. He's just curious if it's just them. "Where's Minyoung?"

"She didn't come... she went to Heechul's..." Changwook tries to crack a smile, "Heechul's a good listener... and she's keeping me updated in exchange for giving her space."

Yunho feels bad for Changwook. It must not be easy for Changwook to stay here while worrying about Minyoung. He's sure Minyoung is blaming herself and he'll need to have a talk with her as soon as he can. "I hope she's still moving in with you..."

"Whoa! You guys moving in?" Yihan asks for the three other startled men.

"Yeah... I asked her in Jeju and she said yes..." Changwook lets out a disappointed sigh, "We've been meaning to tell you guys but nothing's been going well... actually her lease expires next week and she hasn't been able to pack her stuff yet."

"I'm missing a lot of context. What's going on?" Yihan asks them. "As far as I know, if you've both decided you want to live together just go for it. There's a problem only if you think there is. Look at Yunho. Got Jaejoong first, dealt with problems later." Yunho gave Yihan a halfhearted kick to his shin for that unnecessary example. "I meant it as a compliment. Anyway, what's the big problem? Rather, who? Geunseuk was saying things went south since Lee Joongi showed up in Jeju."

"Can we do the storytelling over in the cafeteria? I've missed all eight meals today." Changmin snaps in hunger. "Out of 15..." Yunho adds. "We can sit in Jaejoong's room. Seunghyun seems to have gotten enough food." Yunho herds everyone inside the private VIP room, rolling his eyes when they get noisy as soon as they see Jaejoong.

Yunho was about to follow them inside when something makes him stop. He looks around the hallway till he finally sees that familiar face walking towards him. Yunho glances inside, noting everyone is busy fawning over Jaejoong to notice and walks in the direction of the newcomer to meet him halfway.

"Calmed down yet or do you want to make even Jaejoong's asthma all about you?" Yoochun clenches his jaw, swallowing whatever angry retort he wanted to say before facing Yunho. When Junsu told him where Jaejoong is, she commanded him to accept whatever mean words Yunho or even Changmin and Changwook have for him because he deserved it.

Junsu is aware of Minyoung’s past to the extent of what he knows. But she very distinctly pointed out that Yoochun had never made Minyoung's troubles about himself until today. Maybe he did but kept it to himself. Yet he had to admit that what Minyoung went through is hers, and he had no right behaving as though he was the bigger victim. If he hadn't, Jaejoong wouldn't have undergone stress.

"I want to say I'm here to see if Jaejoong is okay to keep my conscience clear. But that still sounds selfish."

"At least you're aware."

Yoochun ponders over his words before he decides to be sincere. "I'm sorry Yunho. Really... I kept all those feelings in the back of my mind for years and they just came out at the worst time."

"Bottling it up is worse..." Yunho crosses his arms as if to convey he means business. "I want to be very clear, I never told you the truth because it wasn't mine to tell. Minyoung decides what part of her life she shares with whom. The reason she didn't tell you everything is because you'd be devastated to find out how she was degraded. Her parents would take it a lot worse. I was advocating for telling the truth but seeing as how you reacted, I'm glad she didn't listen to me."

"I know... I was a ... I wanted to apologise to Minyoung but when I turned around, she had disappeared..."

"I heard she's with Heechul..." Yunho looks behind to see if anyone has noticed his absence and come looking for him, "Jaejoong's good. But she'd be a lot better if you talked it out with Minyoung first. It would be one less thing for her to stress about."

Yoochun can only agree. Not like Yunho is going to let him anywhere near Jaejoong until he proves he can keep his emotions in check. With a quiet "later" Yoochun trudges back in the same direction he came from. Yunho watches him leave before letting out a heavy sigh and going back to the room.

~~~

"Minyoung-ah! Wake up! Yah Park Minyoung!" Minyoung's response was to grab that hand shaking her shoulder and yanking the person down on the bed. "Yah! How is someone so tiny this strong!" Heechul squawks as Minyoung wraps herself around her and nuzzles her neck. "Dammit wake up! I'm not Ji ing Changwook!" Heechul cries and tries to wriggle out of Minyoung's hold but the delicate little bunny has the grip of a wrestler.

Heechul only manages to grab Minyoung's forearm and pinch her hard. "OW! Geez! I was kidding. No need to turn into a crab." Minyoung releases Heechul and sits up. The nightdress she borrowed from Heechul is bigger than her petite frame making the deep v-neck expose her body almost till her belly button. Minyoung, rubbing the sleep from eyes and yawning, hasn't realized her braless body is uncovered with one shoulder drooping until she feels a camera flash.

Minyoung opens her eyes with a start in time to see Heechul texting someone on her phone. "What the hell!" She pulls that drooping sleeve up and holds the comforter up to her chin.

"Just sending an hourly update to your boyfriend. Don't worry. I left out the part that we slept in the same bed with you like that. The y-frumpy thing is a good look on you though!" Heechul shows the chat window with Minyoung's picture in it. Minyoung though can’t agree. She may look like a pin-up model from the neck down but her face is so contorted mid yawn it's ridiculous.

While she's looking at that picture of herself a reply from Changwook pops up. They're nothing more than a row of fire and heart-eyes emojis.

"You've been giving Chang updates on me?"

"If I get back from work and find you sitting outside my door, and then you tell me what happened yesterday, it's obvious you ran away without telling anyone. Changmin texted me that they had taken Jae to the hospital. I figured I should at least tell someone where you are and why I can't go see Jaejoong."

"You can go see Jae. I'll head home in a bit myself."

"You can go see Jae too..." Heechul notes how Minyoung pointedly ignores that as she slides off the bed. "So, are you heading to work later?"

Minyoung freezes while she was tying her hair in a bun when she remembers something. "I had tak

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter