Next Phase

Chocolate & Coffee
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Park Minyoung is not inexperienced with dating. Being a pretty girl, she's never had trouble attracting suitors. Since she was 14, she's dated many kinds of men both casually and also naively dreaming that person would be her husband. And she has experience in a longterm relationship too (if that even was one). You could say she was jaded and also once bitten twice shy.

But Ji Changwook is unlike any of them. Not once has any guy been so considerate of her without an ulterior motive. In fact it has happened enough times for her to think she attracts only those kinds of men.

Until this guy came into the picture. Changwook though doesn't put any kind of pressure on her.

They have spent the last few days enjoying each other's company after work, drinking and talking before they end up in a liplock. More often than not, they've ended up falling asleep next to each other in bed or the couch. He's never tried anything beyond that.

Like her past dates, it's clear what he wants. His desire is more obvious when he holds her flush against him as they make out. But to Minyoung it feels like he's holding back his yearning, barely content with kisses and light touching.

Yet she's never felt more secure falling asleep next to a man. She’d go as far as to say, she's never slept better.

Her one relationship in the past, she endured sleepless nights fearing the day she would be left alone. Changwook is cosy yet gives her space. Maybe too much space.

Minyoung is starting to feel bad for him with how he's resisting that urge despite the ache visible on his face, no matter how much he thinks he's hiding it.

She has a nagging fear at the back of her mind that he might decide she's not worth it before or after they take that step. Granted they've been going out less than two weeks. But the chemistry and tension are very much there and no resistance on her part.

How does she make Changwook see that? She's never had to do that before.

That's why Minyoung has been working up the courage for the past half hour of this meeting to ask the only guy she can talk about this to.

"Everything looks fine. You can go ahead to the next phase." For a second Minyoung thought Yunho is talking about her and Changwook. But when he slides the papers to her side of the desk, she realizes she hasn't told him yet and he's talking about the new resort project she's handling for him. "If that's all, I have to go find Jae and Heechul. We need to decide on the decorations for tomorrow."

"Talk about last minute."

 "I know right. It was supposed to be done a while back. But our Runaway Princess had to mess up the schedule."

Yunho has gathered his things and is about to leave when Minyoung decides it's now or never. "Yunho, can I ask you something... as a friend?" Yunho, who was halfway from his seat, sits back down an invitation to speak. "This might sound personal... but when did you and Jaejoong...you know..." she tries to show it with her expression before blurting, "the first time...?"

It takes Yunho a second before he gets it and he chuckles. "Changwook holding back?" Minyoung blushes profusely as she nods. "To be honest, he's the type to take it slow. Till he's sure of his own feelings as well as yours. He's also been burnt once before. So, if you're worried that he's not interested in you, don't be. He just doesn't want to rush things."

Minyoung fidgets uncomfortably that Yunho wants to . "About your earlier question, it took Jaejoong and I a month."

"A month!"

"Some would say it isn't that long a time."

"Yeah... but... he looks like he's already at his limit and he's still not making a move. And to be honest I don't know how long I can take that."

"Then you make the move. Jaejoong did."

Minyoung's wide eyes told of her surprise. Minyoung's innocent and naive sugarplum Jaejoong who has never dated anyone but Yunho? "Yeah...she did. After consulting the dumbest cheeseball in the country."

"Yoochun! She asked Yoochun!" Minyoung is appalled. Just how desperate was she to have her innocent brain corrupted by her greasy cousin.

"Look, the situation wasn't that different. I had hastened the process at first. And I knew she had no idea how to navigate a relationship. So, I wanted to give her time to get comfortable with me. I didn't want to bulldoze her into anything. I honestly didn't realize how desperate she was till her foot was feeling me up under the table."

"What!"

"She was more embarrassed by it than me. But it did the job. So, go ahead. Make the move. Let him know you want 'some.' Maybe surprise him under the table when he's least expecting it."

"Are you sure? He is the type to just self-combust over something like that."

"Yeah... go easy on him." Yunho has a sudden thought that makes him chuckle. "You know in some ways he's like Jaejoong."

"I hope not in the sense that he'd ask Yoochun for advice."

"But he will ask someone. I wonder who."

 ~~~

"So you are the one who is holding back and now you don't know how to take it to third base?" Heechul drawls, more interested in how to arrange the cupcakes in the cake stand than what she thinks is the dumbest discussion she’s ever been a part of. "And fourth..." Changwook says under his breath. But Heechul and Jaejoong hear it clearly.

"Why are you telling us this?" A weepy Jaejoong whimpers, uncomfortable talking about with others. She can't help adjusting her fluffy pink hat every five seconds to hide the latest evidence of her clumsy magnificence from Changwook.

"You're the only women in know..." Changwook shrugs, "well there's my mom... but no way. And my secretary. But then I'd have to fire her coz it would be awkward..."

"Okay... We have a lot of work to do so let's hurry up with your problem." Heechul declares, already frustrated when she realizes the cake stand she picked is not big enough. Jaejoong puts her choice in front of her and they begin rearranging the cakes on it while Heechul speaks. "If you really like her, just go for it. But keep it classy and don't scare her."

"That's exactly why I'm here... I want your advice so I don't scare here."

"Keep it simple." Jaejoong says, fetching plate choices. "Don't try something you wouldn't normally do. It gets embarrassing fast. Take it from me."

Both Heechul and Changwook's eyes narrow at the youngest person there who's avoiding their looks making herself small behind the cake stand. "What did you do?" Heechul fishes for the gossip, amused and ready to . But Jaejoong resolutely changes the line of discussion. "You know you could kidnap her and force her to shop."

"That is getting old." Changwook snarls, still turning red over that thing. "Seriously though, you could just take her out. She's your date tomorrow right? You just have to make her feel special and let her know you're ready when she's ready."

Jaejoong marvels at her own wise advice. Since when did she turn into a relationship guru!

"I don't know... From what I've seen of Park Minyoung she's the type to not let a man buy her stuff." Changwook agrees with Heechul. "Still, it might not be a bad idea. Take her out, tomorrow is a good opportunity. And afterwards let things just flow." Heechul's expression turns mischievous then. "And by flow I mean-"

"I know what you mean." Changwook cuts her off loudly, ears flaming red as he gestures at Jaejoong. "Seriously Kim Heechul! There are kids here! Stop with the innuendos."

"Was that an innuendo? What does that mean?" Jaejoong asks innocently and promptly ignored when Heechul and Changwook declare a coffee break.

 ~~~

 "Make her feel special... make her feel special..." Changwook chants to himself, preparing himself mentally while waiting in his car not far from Minyoung's workplace. He's taking Heechul and Jaejoong's advice for which he called Minyoung as soon as she's done with work. Fortunately, she said she finishes early today.

He planned the only thing he knows. Which is buying her something nice and taking her out to dinner. Jaejoong is so going to for it later.

Hopefully they pass plenty of time shopping before dinner. It's only 4 in the afternoon on his day off. He doesn't want an awkward early dinner dragged by silence. Just as he's contemplating his restaurant choices, there's a tap on his window.

He's jolted a little but melts at the sight of Minyoung smiling at him on the other side of the glass. He gestures for her to come around to the other side as he unlocks the door for her.

"Hi~" her cheery voice is heard before Minyoung slides into the passenger seat.

She puts her bag in the backseat just as Changwook is leaning towards her to put the seatbelt around her. But suddenly they find their faces mere centimetres apart. Even in the cliché of it all their hearts are going all sorts of crazy just because they can look into the other's eyes and feel the other's breath.

Changwook is the first to come to his senses, tugging the seatbelt and clipping it around her. Internally he's freaking out wondering what she felt about that unintentional moment.

She shows him exactly how she felt when her small hand holds his cheek and she plants her lips on his in a quick greeting peck. Then as quickly as she had turned his brain to mush, she was looking in the front, his cue to get moving too.

Changwook pulls into the traffic, smiling goofily while she admires the shiny interiors of the car, a silver Mercedes SUV she's not seen yet. "Nice car... is it new?"

"Not really..." he smiles, feeling a little pleased Minyoung has taken an interest in something about his tastes. "I just take whichever car I feel like. The choices are really two... three if you count the limo service. I'm more into motorcycles."

"Really? Do you have a bike?"

"Five... I'm not picky about the make." He lets out a sigh remembering his beloved babies sitting in his garage. "It's been months since I went on a ride. I miss the wind in my face, the clear roads, and going on without a destination till it's sunset." And then he realises he's rambling about his daydream.

He's never spoken about his hobbies to anyone, even his friends. He doesn't suppose his friends would mind. But his past dates have never been interested in what he liked or enjoyed.

"That sounds amazing." He momentarily glances at her to confirm she really said that. Her eyes that are sparkling with awe tell him that she's not faking it. "The only two-wheeled drive I've been on is a bicycle. But I've always wanted to drive along the Han River on a bike or go for a night ride."

"I've done both and it's exhilarating... maybe next time I go for a ride you can join me."

"I'd love that... just so we're clear, you mean me sitting on the back of your bike, right? Coz I have no idea how to ride one."

"Anything you wish. I'll even let you pick your chariot." Minyoung lets out a s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter