Haunted by Past-5

Chocolate & Coffee
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's moments like these that let Jaejoong (over)think a series of mindblowing events. She can simply spend the morning after Yunho has left for work staring at the cake baking in the oven and think about stuff she's otherwise too busy to ponder over.

Even though it's been a week since they returned from her first vacation that was too drama-filled than she'd expected, she can't stop thinking about it and said drama.

The doorbell ringing is the first thing that shakes her out of her stupor. She knows who it is because she's been expecting her guest since last night. Which is why she hurries to open the door. "Jaejoongie!" Hyekyo is all over her as soon as the door is open wide enough for her to squeeze through. Jaejoong pulls one hand out of the hug and shuts the door behind the shorter woman. "Omoni, you're looking good today!"

"Aren't I? I got a haircut while you were in Jeju," Hyekyo runs her hand through her new bob before dipping that hand in her bag to pull out a Tiffany box. "Here. A late birthday present from us." Hyekyo drops it in Jaejoong's hands before strolling over to the source of the delicious aroma wafting through the house.

Jaejoong follows her slowly while checking the box. She nearly drops the box when she sees that signet ring in the centre. "Omoni!" Jaejoong shrieks in horror. This is a woman who has dropped big hint bombs about having a ring Yunho could use to propose to Jaejoong. She can't not be taken seriously.

"Relax, it's a regular ring. If Yunho will ever propose I'd give him my ring." Hyekyo might look like she doesn't see Jaejoong blush profusely as she checks the pot of fried rice on the dining table but she did see that cute reaction and internally rejoices her slow plan of warming Yunho and Jaejoong to marriage is working. Of course she doesn’t know her son beat her to it.

"Your fried rice tastes better every time I taste it," Hyekyo sighs with a mouthful of rice, “But isn't it a lot for Yunho and Changmin. I mean I know that giraffe can eat. But this is enough for at least five people."

"It is actually..." Jaejoong shakes off all the proposal scenarios in her head and asks Hyekyo to follow her to the kitchen. "Changwook and Minyoung will join us for lunch. Changmin told me earlier they are in some emergency meeting."

"Yunho and Changmin actually agreed to share your food? That's shocking!"

"I don't know about Yunho but Changmin is behaving because I agreed to make an entire cake just for him." Jaejoong points at the oven, "Two carrot cakes. Rice is done. Now I have to make the chicken, kimchi, and cream cheese left. You should come. Changmin behaves with you around."

"I would have barged in even if you didn't invite me. Leave the chicken to me. You top that cake with so much cream cheese that everyone is high on frosting." Jaejoong giggles and lets Yunho's mother help. "So how was your first vacation?" Hyekyo asks the girl who's checking on the cakes.

"Fun... but more dramatic. Like a soap opera." Jaejoong describes the chaos at Han Youngjoon's resort and her various injuries during the vacation. She explained Minyoung's situation in vague terms before telling her about Joongi showing up.

Yunho told her and Changmin about Minyoung's and Joongi's conversation and Minyoung had told Changwook too. The rest of the vacation was spent with Minyoung and Joongi putting on exaggeratedly fake normal facades and everyone else tiptoeing around them. Yunho was the most stressed out of this but he was relieved knowing he can avoid Lee Joongi after they return.

When they did return, he was occupied making sure Yoojin and Jaeha return home safely and persuaded their parents to not bring up the trouble Jaeha caused in Jeju.

"I feel bad for Minyoung but... poor Jaeha. He wants to act like a grown up so much..." Hyekyo glances at Jaejoong to check if she's not doing something like handling a knife or something. Jaejoong is in the middle of packing side dishes in boxes and not at risk of hurting herself lest she's startled. "By the way... from the sound of things this Lee Joongi seems infatuated with you."

"Huh?" Jaejoong is surprised but not by the suggestion that Joongi likes her. She's already aware of that. Yunho told her that he basically admitted it to Minyoung. She's just surprised that Yunho's mother would broach that subject. "I-I mean... I... sort of felt that vibe from him... but...it happens a lot. Sometimes I get too conscious that I'm leading them on unknowingly. But it makes life difficult. So I pretend I don't notice. Besides, Yunho says that Lee Joongi is very busy for a social life. There's slim chance we'd see him again."

"I get it honey. That's a very unhealthy mindset." Hyekyo looks at her wedding and engagement rings on her finger fondly, two pieces she will pass on to her sons. "I know we have our own little game but Jihoon and I are the only people we’ve been with since we were kids. When we were a little older, things were too complicated for a couple of teens. Before we married, Jihoon and I broke up a few times because of jealousy... we kept blaming each other for people coming on to us. I don't know how we made it to the altar but somehow both of us promised to not blame each other for how others feel in our wedding vows."

"Is that why you and Abeoji compete to see who makes the most people swoon?"

"Ugh! Don't remind me. Ever since we moved here, he's always had a two-person lead on me. All because we live near a girl’s school! It's not fair!" Hyekyo punctuates with an emphatic swing of her arm. Unfortunately she was stirring a pot full of sweet and spicy chicken which flies all over Jaejoong's immaculately clean counter. But when has something like this bothered Hyekyo. "Oh well, those kids can starve till I clean."

 ~~~

Changmin is in the zone. He's typing up this report like he's on fire. His motivation today is on level:1000 with dreams of a large carrot cake with a thick slathering of cream cheese frosting. Works right into his new self-planned diet of including more vegetables and dairy in his meals.

Speaking of which, he smells a sugary aroma from outside. As he anticipated Jaejoong strolls in with that small grocery cart full of food because Changmin's ever-increasing demand for food is too much to be carried by two hands.

Behind her Hyekyo makes a dramatic entrance. "Hello there, son who's the cause of my neck spasm!" Changmin welcomes her with a grin as Jaejoong heads straight into Yunho's office. "I heard Changwookie and his pretty girlfriend are here."

"Yes. You can tease them for a change." Changmin leans in to whisper conspiratorially, "Word on the grapevine is Atty. Park's lease is expiring. So she's going to move in with the boyfriend."

"Ommo! What's the source to know if it's true." Hyekyo stage whispers herself. "Hyung told me yesterday, with their permission. They’ll the others later at which point we are all expected to help move her stuff next week. But she has to still tell her family." Hyekyo squeals in excitement. Now Changmin is sure no one will nag him for eating a whole cake while Hyekyo teases Changwook and Minyoung. "What are you waiting for? Get them here quickly!"

"I have to collect some documents downstairs. But it’s about time they get here or I can’t promise to spare them any food. Omoni, can you get them? Their phones are busy so you'll find them in conference room B on the fourth floor," Hyekyo agrees with a cheerful thumbs up. "Jaejoong," said person peeks between the ajar doors, "print out this report for me, will ya?"

Jaejoong gives him a nod and sends them out. She quickly has the five-page report printed and heads to the mini pantry in the back to check if they have enough glasses and sparkling water for everyone. She was counting out plates when the phone on her desk lights up. She's the only one in this office who gets calls on the internal communications line. Yunho's comms team only communicates with Changmin which means Jaejoong's phone rings for any miscellaneous tasks or information from the various departments. It's rarely urgent. So Jaejoong isn't rushing to answer the phone. But it does surprise when she hears the frantic voice of the receptionist.

"You're not online, Secretary Kim? I couldn't message you."

"I haven't my PC yet. What's wrong?"

"Secretary Kim, I know the president isn't in his office right now but you need to call him quick. He has some unexpected VIP guests."

"Who?" As the woman on the other line gives her the names, the elevator ding announces the arrival. Jaejoong is frozen in her place hearing those names and watching those very people step out of the elevator.

~~~

No one notices Hyekyo open the door ever so slightly to peek inside. Everyone is too busy barking on their phones or talking to each other to pay attention to anything else. It allows her to see how cute her son looks when he’s all serious and business-y.

Minyoung had ended her call and turned to the others in the room. "My paralegal dropped by the development authority office. Apparently, they had an electrical fire right after we filed the last of the permits."

"Did our papers get burned?" One of the two lawyers from JCW asks. "No. Their data is intact. The fire wasn't that major. But they were closed for two weeks till the building was fixed and declared safe again. They are caught up clearing backlogs since then," Minyoung looks at the text her paralegal sent her, "They are using some kind of docket system to not mix old files with the new ones. Apparently, our turn is next month."

"I still don't get why the west wing requires a separate permit. Isn’t it all one structure?" Changwook sighs.

" It is our one structure, but the land wasn’t one whole entity. That part of the land was private property before we bought it. We need permits to build a hospital over formerly residential properties," Yunho glances at the plans, "If we build something on it now it will be illegal."

"But waiting a month is too much..." the same lawyer says again.

"We can just focus elsewhere," Yunho points at a certain spot on the plans. On cue, the project's manager returns after his call, "Good news. We can move on to the south wing for now. But once we start that we can't leave it to work on the west wing even if we get the permit." The others don't really know what that entails but the manager knows Yunho understands. "How much time will you need to replan?"

"Two days max. My team's already on it." Everyone gets solemn while pondering their options except Yunho. With his elbow propped on the armrest, he hides a smile behind his fist when he notices his mother peeking through the door. Her exaggerated winks and flying kisses are funny, like she used to do from the audience at his dance shows that made it very difficult for him to get through a performance with a straight face. But he never showed it then and he doesn't show it now.

"Manager Yang," Yunho nearly cracked at the exaggerated awe his mother was showing when the manager straightened up military style. "You go ahead with whatever you think would avoid any delay," Yunho gestures at the other attorney who has been on his phone for a while now, "Our focus will be getting that permit. Hopefully Atty. Song's connections will come through. Now, I think we've had enough stress for the day." That was everyone's signal the meeting is over.

The JCW attorney is dragged by his colleague without interrupting his phone call. The project manager greets everyone cordially before taking his leave himself. Changwook and Minyoung make a show of gathering their things so they can possibly escape for a lunch date in a discreet manner.

Yunho though is on to them. "So... you two have plans for lunch?" Yunho's eyes flit between the two on either side of them. Minyoung and Changwook have a telepathic conversation before Changwook responds to Yunho with a shrug. "Jaejoong brought a lot more food hoping you will join. That is if you are ready to go through the torment."

"What torment?" Changwook regrets that question as soon as Yunho points at the door and in barges said tormenter, also known as Yunho's mother. "Bonjour Moi belle babies!"

"Are you back on your bad French phase mom?" Hyekyo might ignore him with that smile but he knows he's going to pay for that later. Fortunately, Changwook slowly but obviously sinking under the table to hide is a great distraction. "Don't bother honey. I'm interested in this beauty here," Hyekyo elegantly drops into the chair beside Minyoung and props her chin on her hand to gawk at Minyoung with a starstruck smile.

Minyoung lets out a tiny meep for help. "Eomma! Cut that out!" Yunho snaps at her. "Shut up! I'm not talking to you till you say 'desole.'"

"Don't make me say or do crap in front my lawyer. I can make her sue you."

"Be my guest, son of me!"

Minyoung lets out a loud sigh, gesticulating to both of them to calm down. This is way out of her paygrade for crying out loud. Changwook, who had been peeking above the desk, saw her cry of distress and stood up abruptly. "Wow! My stomach is really angry. Who's starving? I hope there's pickled radish!" With that silly monologue Changwook has gathered his things and briskly walked out of the conference room.

Minyoung's jaw drops. He didn't save her. He saved himself!

"Wow! What a traitor!" Yunho is weirdly impressed. How come he never comes up with something like this?

"Oh well!" Hyekyo once again returns her attention to Minyoung. "You didn't answer my question from last time. Did you guys do it?"

"Eomma!"

Hyekyo lets out an evil laugh in her enjoyment when the door opens again. This time Changwook is being pushed in by an agitated Changmin. The older male is nearly thrown aside so Changmin can walk over to Yunho.

"Hyung! We have a problem. You have to go to lunch to the Dessert Room!"

"First off all, the Dessert Room doesn't have lunch. And why is that a problem?"

"Lunch is not the problem. It's them!" Changmin points at the ceiling.

"God?" Changwook queries.

"The vent?" Minyoung looks at the one above her head.

"That spider!" Hyekyo is loud enough to make everyone flinch violently. But neither dares look for the spider.

"None of those things!" Changmin whines and points at the ceiling again. "Those people on our floor who want you to take them to the dessert room. Lee Joongi and his father. And Han Youngjoon!"

An assortment of curses pour out from the two tycoons and the attorney. Hyekyo is tense considering what she knows. "Looks like Lee Joongi was serious about investing..." she reaches out and Minyoung's neck comfortingly. Though that's little relief in this situation.

"Why is Han Youngjoon here?" Yunho's voice is higher than anyone who works for him would want to be on the receiving end of. "Didn't you tell him we're no longer interested?"

Changmin and Minyoung exchange glances before Changmin urges her to speak. "I did it the first day I was back to work. His office even confirmed they got it."

"Yunho! Don't take it out on them. Let them speak first." Hyekyo's admonishment was enough for Yunho to let go of his temper to let Changmin speak. "We don't know why he's here hyung. All Jaejoong could tell me is that Han and the Lees came separately. Lee Joongi said his father is very keen on checking out the Dessert Room. God alone knows what Han Youngjoon wants."

Yunho curses again when Hyekyo asks the all important question. "Where's Jaejoong?"

~~~

Jaejoong places the tea on the table in front of Han Youngjoon. But he doesn't acknowledge it when he's busy fawning over Joongi about some business accomplishment from six months ago. Joongi though pays this sycophantic stereotype no heed when his father is busy stuffing his face with someone else's food.

"Abeoji, you look like you haven't eaten in week. Someone could think I'm committing elder abuse." His father's response was to swallow and then stick his tongue out at him. Who would think that this Lee Sangchul is the most respected businessman of his generation? Before he retired, he used to carry himself with dignity befitting the Lee family.

Joongi only remembers the man who put the prestige of the family over himself and even his sons. But that all went when he lost another wife years ago. He suddenly became free, allowing Joongi more opportunity to be defiant while also being a brat to his older son.

"Agassi, some more chicken please!" Joongi groans when his father holds up his plate to Jaejoong. "Abeoji! That food is meant for other people."

"It's okay. There's plenty." Jaejoong drags the cart of extra boxes of food from behind the armchair Joongi is sitting on. It was when Sangchul caught a whiff of the food as he as he entered Yunho’s office and saw the cart Jaejoong had forgotten by the sofa that the senior businessman insisted on trying it. "You've seen how much Changmin eats. I've catered for 15 people here. He won't die if he eats a little less today. Saj-" Jaejoong was about to offer Sangchul some side dishes but realized she doesn't know how to address the old man.

Joongi is both president and chairman, same as Yunho though he prefers to be addressed as the president while Joongi is more active as the chairman. But Lee Sangchul is no longer associated with the conglomerate and the titles that come with it. But calling him former chairman is so wrong. She should've asked Changmin before he ran off to call Yunho.

As if no one notices her slyly leaning beside Joongi, she hides behind the armchair and whispers to him, "what do I address him with? You took all the titles and now everyone has to call him by his name." Jaejoong is not as inaudible as he believes. Joongi had to purse his lips before he sends spittle flying on her face by bursting into a laugh.

His father has no inhibitions though, snorting behind his hand even as Han Youngjoon rolls his eyes. Joongi swallows his amusement to answer as seriously as he can, "You've fed him. So even if you call him the wrinkly juvenile cabbage he is he has to accept it." True to definition, the old man makes a childish face to taunt his son.

Since Jaejoong has the permission to drop the titles, she goes the comfortable route. "Ajhussi, I'll reheat the food and be back in a minute. Would you like some side dishes till then?"

"Oooh! Is there radish?" Jaejoong nods and tries to lift one of the boxes but it's too heavy for her. It took both her and Hyekyo to put them in the cart. She considers taking the cart out to the pantry so these men don't see her struggle with lifting the boxes. "Ajhussi, I'll be back with the radish okay?" Jaejoong turns the cart to drag it away when Joongi suddenly scolds his father. "Abeoji, if you're going to eat up other people's food you should at least be considerate of Jaejoong's condition. It's obvious she's injured. She fell thrice in front of me in Jeju."

Four times in total, Jaejoong almost corrected but told herself that detail is best left unsaid. Especially when the fading injuries and Hello Kitty bandaids all over her legs are not hidden by her mesh overlay skirt over a much shorter lining underneath. They can't see the deep broken toenail under her sparkly sneakers but she still fidgets trying to hide one injured leg behind the other injured one.

"Yah! Why have I spent all that money on your martial arts lessons since you were eight. P

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter