Seizing the Present- 5

Chocolate & Coffee
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She can't stop shaking her leg. This place feels haunted. Never before has a house filled by an entire army of staff been more important.

Earlier, Hayoung spent 15 minutes trying to open a can of Perrier, even looking it up online for instructions. When she did, she lost a French tip of her nail and sprayed the water on her dress. And then she had to wipe it herself, unpack her bag herself and change into clean clothes with no idea how to launder the ruined dress.

Now she's marinating in agitation while seated on the couch. The silence is so disconcerting, she the TV only to have a very well-timed scene of ‘The Grudge’ play on the screen and she turned it off with a scream.

"Damn it Minho! Where are you!" Hayoung clumsily fishes her phone out from her purse to call him. But when she turns on her phone, she is attracted to the Instagram app.

After a second of consideration, Hayoung logs into her secret account with a pseudonym. This fake account doesn't follow anyone but has only ever perused one page.

It was years ago by fluke she came across a page with a familiar face. She made a fake account to stalk that page, mostly to take sinister pleasure in how much her life is better than this person's.

That person made her Instagram debut celebrating passing the bar exam and Hayoung was smug seeing her picking up pieces of her life. Whenever Hayoung was disappointed at the shortcomings of a surrogate candidate or was feeling generally crappy, she'd go on this person's page to laugh at her.

This person posts very infrequently but even looking at old posts please Hayoung. She is especially chuffed to know she has no friends who remember her, travels alone, is overworked, and has annoying colleagues.

The pictures and captions are standard social media filtered to show a superficial good life. But Hayoung can read between the lines.

The way she left had scalded Hayoung. A nobody like her had an affair with her husband and instead of making it right with her, the victim of a wife, she left. She could've had a comfortable life if she gave her a child. Could have kept sleeping with Minho for all she cared.

It was right after Hayoung found out she couldn't have children and saw her opportunity with Minho's mistress. Hayoung felt slighted the way she left and seeing her miserable as a social outcast is fair retribution.

Hayoung feels a vile excitement waiting for the page to load on a slow Internet. She hasn't stalked this page since last year, when she posted about working on Christmas eve. Hayoung was screening a new surrogate candidate at that time and she had not posted anything for weeks.

"Yea- huh..." Hayoung's joy as soon as the page loads is gone when she notices the difference. She clearly remembers the follower count was always in double digits. Now there are thousands. There are at least 40 new posts too, but the number of posts seems lesser than what it should have been. Scrolling way down, Hayoung discovers all the old posts have been deleted.

The first post is soon after New Year's, of a cake with the words 'Boss Babe' celebrating a promotion. The pictures after that are with family and two young and tall women.

The comments section, which earlier had many questioning if they knew her from before and why is she graduating late or if she got a job though nepotism, now has media outlets requesting her for interviews or regular people asking her legal advice.

Hayoung deduced her sudden popularity made her start afresh on Instagram. But what made her so gain thousand followers more than her? Hayoung searches through all the pictures to see and that's when she starts unraveling.

Pictures of her surrounded by sweets, hanging out with her two friends, shopping with her friends, vacationing in Japan, kissing a guy, vacationing in Jeju with the same guy and the two friends. None of these paint a picture of a miserable social outcast!

Just as Hayoung is about to fling her phone in fury, she notices one picture from the Jeju series. The photograph is outdoors with dim lighting. But half a dozen candles on an undecorated cake, held by a pair of larger hands, light up the starlet of this picture in a red dress and flower crown.

That face is oh so familiar because she saw it only a couple of hours ago and that's not a face you can forget. The comments on this post have been turned off, possibly to discourage unwanted solicitations towards the girl, but there's a caption that reads "My baby JJ is growing up" with a dozen cake, celebratory, and crying emojis.

Hayoung finds herself clicking on the tagged username before she knew it and the page that opens has no human faces on it. There are just desserts, natural landscapes, and memes. No faces. But now she knows that person is Kim Jaejoong. So that pretty girl from before is her friend.

She goes back to that person’s page intending to look at the other posts with this girl only to be surprised by a new post in the past two minutes. She's hugging a door rather blissfully in the picture captioned "Bye bye house... I'll miss y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter