Let's Make a Date

Chocolate & Coffee
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Changwook waits in his car, his patience wearing thin with each passing second. He has half a mind to start the engine and leave. But the side of him that's a gentleman doesn't want to be that kind of guy. His phone rings and he answers it without looking. "Yeah..."

"hello to you too!" Yunho returns the unpleasant tone.

"What do you want?" Changwook deadpans, leaning his head on the steering wheel.

"I just wanted to discuss some design details of the building you're paying me millions to build."

"4 pm. Your office."

"What's with the lack of excitement? No coffee yet?"

"I am here for coffee..."

"oh...OH!" Changwook sighs as realization is evident in Yunho's voice. "Today's the day huh. Anyway, 4pm design meeting. 4.15 pm, date interrogation. 4.30 pm Jaejoong broadcasts every detail to the everyone." Changwook ends the call to Yunho's evil laughter. Maybe it's not too late to cancel the contract with him if it means escaping that interrogation.

Before he can gather his wits, a red car pulls up in front of him and his wits are spilling out of a glass representing his brain.

The beautiful attorney steps out, attention grabbing in her midnight blue cape suit and pink mirror sunglasses. Wits spilling, brain turning to mush.

She spots him and pushes her sunglasses up her head to wave at him. Can someone collect the puddle that is Changwook's brain?

Park Minyoung sees Ji Changwook slumped over the wheel and worries he might be sick. She walks to his car and taps on the window on the driver's side. Knowing how he probably looks about now he wills himself to get over himself. He gives himself a five second mental pep talk.

This isn't his first time going on a casual date after all. No need to be anxious. Of course, when he abruptly opens the door nearly hitting Minyoung in the process he knows he's a mess.

"Are you okay? You look pale." Minyoung asks while he's expecting her to throw a tantrum over his apparent reluctance. They usually do. They also hate it when he acts indifferent or irritable as if he owes them attention.

But he's not the one in control here for once. Actually, it doesn't seem like anyone is in control. It's just he's not. And it's Park Minyoung. It's giving him a chain of feelings from butterflies in his stomach to uncharacteristic enthusiasm to fear to an internal tug-of-war of wanting to stay and leave.

The way she's looking at him doesn't help. "You don't look so good. Are you getting enough rest?" He's a little surprised when she brushes his hair to take a proper look. Her fingers brush his forehead making that spot of his skin burn. "I think you have a fever." Or it could be that.

"Y-yeah... all the work and... came back from a road trip yesterday..." Changwook doesn't know why he's mumbling. What's made him incoherent? So flustered?

"You must be really busy with the deal and all..." Minyoung sounds like she's genuinely pitying him. Not like his one date in the past that pretended to feel sorry when he was sick though she was really disappointed about not getting to go to a party.

At this point he realizes he's comparing her way too much to his past flings. It's not appropria- "You need to go home and rest. Let's get you in a taxi." She's tugging him to the curb when he belatedly realizes what she's doing.

He can't leave now! It took a lot to just show up. Lot of coaxing by his friends and Yunho's mother.

It's not his first rodeo and yet it's not going as it normally does with him. But he'll be damned if he let this opportunity go.

"N-no!" He pulls his arm out of her grasp, "I'm fine. Let's go to the place you were talking about." It takes a lot of willpower to not stutter, afraid his pathological shyness will show.

Maybe that's the thing. It's been years since he's been shy on a date. Knowing the other person and accurately judging their intentions made him confident enough to not allow them to take advantage of him.

With Minyoung, he can't tell if she's genuine or it's just an act which is making his shy nature surface. She's an attorney, right? Her courtroom acting skills must be good. And so is his business mask.

"Are you sure? We can do this another time." Maybe she doesn't want to stay. So, he gives her the option of an out as coolly as he can.

"Listen here Miss Attorney, with or without company I need my coffee. If you want to leave, be my guest." Did he sound too rude? Maybe he could have phrased it like he's not talking to an employee.

Minyoung's mouth twists and he anticipates the usual whining. Instead she scoffs. "Listen here Rich Boy, I work for Jung Yunho. Not you. So, don't take that boss tone with me." And she turns on her heel, strutting off down the street leaving Changwook in the dust.

Rich Boy? She sounds like another pretty woman with a talent to switch from sweet to fiesty in a flash who called him and his friends Millionaire Boys. If that's not telling of what kind of person Park Minyoung is, then Changwook is a fool to let her walk away.

Minyoung enters the chic new cafe she's been frequenting since it opened a few months ago. As she makes her way to her favourite seat by the window, a waitress greets her. "Good Afternoon Minyoung-ssi. Your usual?"

"I've had a hectic day. So I'll take my special." The waitress understands and fetches her order.

Minyoung sits at the table, her back to the door and pulls out the latest novel she's reading. Her little break in the day and weekly workouts are her only reprieve where she can relax with either some indulgences, letting off steam or getting lost in a book that has nothing to do with her job. Work awaits her back home too. But as she opens her novel that had her enraptured until last night, she can't focus on it at all.

She's kind of frustrated at Ji Changwook, at herself. After her last relationship debacle, she's not been keen on dating at all. Work felt better, even more when she was succeeding.

But since her cousin tasked her with Jung Yunho's latest venture, it's been difficult to prioritize work. The businessman at the other end of the table occupied her mind not in a way a client should. It's been a while since she's been attracted to a guy like that. But he seemed kind and loyal, two qualities at the top of her list of things she looked for in a man.

Her straightforward confidence surfaced when she asked him out on the third day of knowing him. Her mother does say that she tends to scare people with how direct she is. She didn't think she could do anything to scare a hardened young businessman though.

However she might have been wrong. Ji Changwook turned out to be like the other men she meets in her line of work. The type who treat her indifferently because she's not as delicate as she looks or want her to be. And now she's annoyed with that rude man who shot her down the moment she showed him some concern like any decent human being.

What's with guys and not wanting to look weak!

Just as she begins making a mental list of curses for Ji Changwook, the waitress arrives with her order. "Here is your special chamomile tea with double chocolate brownie and dark chocolate torte with raspberry ice cream." After placing the dishes in front of her, the waitress places another mug in front of the empty chair opposite Minyoung, "And an espresso with two sugars on the side."

Minyoung looks at the sudden order in surprise, "I didn't ord-" but the waitress left, escaped without looking back. As if she knew Minyoung would ask her about it.

Her answer comes in the form of a very handsome man in a grey dress suit. "What's with this spot? The sun's directly in my eyes." Changwook casually pulls out his sunglasses from his pocket and wears them.

Disregarding the two sugar sachets on the plate before him, he picks up his cup and sips his coffee not even acknowledging the stunned Minyoung. Or so she thinks. She can't tell with his blue mirror sunglasses that match the ones still resting on her head. She does notice him noticing her book though before he unceremoniously picks it up and checks the cover.

"You like happy endings?" Minyoung reflexively nods. He shuts the book – the bookmark is not in it! – and returns it with a flick if his wrist, grinning suspiciously. "Then I suggest you don't read this. The girl doesn't make it."

Minyoung's jaw drops. Couldn't he at least preface it with a spoiler alert! The nerve of this man ruining the book for her and drinking his coffee as black as his soul. He's enjoying this too much but she won't prolong his pleasure, picking up her fork and determined to get her chocolate fix as if this man isn't right there muddling her brain.

"Isn't it almost lunch time? That doesn't seem like a normal lunch." Even as he says that, Changwook steals her little teaspoon and takes half of her torte slice in one overflowing spoonful as she watches in horror. "You should try Jaejoong's. It's way better."

"What the hell is up with you?" Minyoung finally snaps, perhaps for the first time in her adult life. "What? I said I needed coffee." He says oh so casually, seemingly less snarky now that he got his caffeine fix.

"You also said you'd get it with or without company."

"I did." He takes another sip of his coffee, "I chose option one." He punctuates with sunny smile that may or may not have made her heart skip a beat. It's a good thing she can't see his eyes or she'd be a goner. Anyway, she's slightly less hostile now to this man with extremes in his mood.

"If you must know, this is what I usually have after a hectic day at work." She pointedly pulls her tray closer, away from this chocolate thief.

"Tough day?"

"Usually is when I have to go to the court?" She finally puts that piece of brownie on her fork into and feels herself calming down as soon as the taste of chocolate is on her tongue.

"Court? Aren't you into corporate contracts and the likes?"

"I specialize in IP. And occasionally property law. I had to close a dispute between my client and his brother in court today. I was only handling your deal because Yoochun wants me to take on some of his clients now that I'm managing partner. He hopes if I handle some bigger projects people won't think I was picked on favouritism."

"IP... so you're working on Yunho's pet project too?" Minyoung waits as he gestures to a nearby waiter for another espresso before answering, "They were mostly dealing with Yoochun since they trust him. But he used to get the paperwork done through me till they were comfortable enough to talk to me. I don't know if you're aware, but Yunho-ssi has to handpick the people for this project for multiple reasons."

"I'm aware..." Changwook lets the waitress from earlier replace his empty cup with a new one. His hand reaches for the sugar sachets, but after his fingers linger on it for a couple of seconds, he moves the hand to his cup and takes another sip.

"Why do you ask for sugar if you're not going to use it?" She can tell he's studying her above the rim of the cup. Even though she can't see his eyes, they're disconcerting. As if he's the only one who can see her that way.

"I like the option." Deliberately teasing her, he sets his cup down to pick up one sugar sachet and rip it over his cup. "I tend to change my mind at the last minute."

"I can see that..." she finishes that half-eaten torte grudgingly, "You're obviously not here for the food."

"I'm anticipating better in a couple of weeks." If Minyoung didn't know any better she'd say that Ji Changwook is judging her for eating at this place instead of her boss'. But she does know better and is affronted enough to get defensive. "You know what, yes I've tried Jaejoong's chocolate cake and it's heavenly. But I won't be getting it anytime soon. I'll be her loyal patron till thy kingdom come when it opens. Until then I would like my comfort food in peace where I can find it. So sue me. I'm a bloody good lawyer."

She's now regretting it. This guy is laughing at her behind his palm. "Loyal?"

That does it! He's way too judgemental for her liking. What did she see in this guy? To question her loyalty!

"I'm indebted to Yunho-ssi and Yoochun oppa. And I'm loyal to the people I care about. I don't have to explain that to you because you'll never understand nor be one of them."

Her appetite is gone, which is a first when it comes to chocolate. She gathers her things and huffs to the counter to pay and get away from this infuriating man she regrets thinking he was attractive.

She's pulling out her wallet to pay when the woman by the counter said, "Your bill has already been paid for." Minyoung froze for a second when realization dawns.

Her head whips to her left where Ji Changwook is seated right there, cup to his lips and sunglasses now hooked on his jacket’s pocket giving her a peek at those eyes full of mirth. She purses her lips before a few choice words flew out of and stomped off not seeing Changwook break into a wide grin.

 ~~~

The door opens to a grumpy Yunho who doesn't say a word except gesturing for Changwook to come in. Yunho told him to meet him at his apartment instead because he took a half-day. Apparently Changmin and Jaejoong are too sick to work.

They pass Changmin who's passed out/sleeping on the couch with the TV on. "He needs the ambient sound to sleep." Yunho informs knowing what he's thinking.

"You think he's too addi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter