Midnights in Vietnam

Best Kept Secret

“Ugh, nothing’s really Insta-worthy” Jihyo sulks looking at her own as well as Sana’s phone.

“We don’t have your idea of perfect but this one is good.” Jihyo scowls as Sana points to some. “Alright but, Twice TV unnies may have captured something for us.”

Jihyo sighs and put the phones down. She turns attention to a Sana snuggling beside her. As Jihyo fiddles the other’s mane, Sana starts thinking aloud her thoughts with it “I’d like to try shorter hair. But…”

“But? Cause you’d twin with me?”

“Hmm, I’ll try cutting just a few cm. Also, I’ll dye it darker. It needs rest from bleach anyway.”

“I’d love that for you.” Jihyo says as she can’t help but smile brighter. She’s not a fan of blonde Sana. For her, natural look is superior. She urges her to open up “So, what’s the ‘but’ about?”

Sana definitely wants to look more attractive to her partner. But Jihyo would become one of the only two light-haired members along with Dahyun differing in length.

Dyeing her hair dark wouldn’t help a blonde Jihyo. A set of bangs to such flashy color essentially doesn’t hide her. Considering the anticipated grand year-end events are coming in fast. Everyone will be on them.

Sana tries to talk about her worries, “Just that…” The world is gonna spot my Jihyo quickly and will look with prying eyes. She misses her timing, not able to continue as a door knock interrupts.

“We’re back!” Nayeon is heard from the other side. She and Dahyun just got back from Korea for a quick show guesting accompanying JYP himself on Knowing Brothers. Nayeon hands them some gifts.

“Thanks, Nayeon-ie!” Jihyo receives the gifts when Nayeon suddenly holds her wrist. The unnie wants to talk to her.

Sana heard it and excused herself delaying the confrontation of her thoughts. Until it’s forgotten through busying themselves on Japanese music station guesting and with the team eventually going back to Korea.

As the days pass, however, the need to discuss and prepare for the inevitable is becoming apparent.

They are currently rehearsing for the Asia Artist Awards, where Kang Daniel is confirmed to attend. Add to that a heartbreaking news in the history of K-Pop: Goo Hara committed suicide just two months after her friend Sulli had done the same.

With all those nightmares, tears, and zoning out that even therapies and medications are not helping; Sana couldn’t stop worrying for Jihyo who’s been enduring both the hate and well wishes out of this whole fake dating thing.

But since they themselves are the only ones who understand each other, Sana asks the rest of the girls especially the 3mix unnies Nayeon and Jeongyeon to preside for careful thought sharing.

“Sooner or later, HE will be on a same event as us”, Nayeon says.

Upon searching the internet, Jeong confirms that “Actually he’s gonna be there on AAA. Maybe on MAMA too. Any plans?”

Sana finds Jihyo’s hand and whispers to her quick, “This is the ‘but’ I failed to talk about. With that blonde,” touches the tips “you won’t be able to hide even if you have bangs.”

To which Jihyo appreciated. But she says “If that’s the case then I’ll gladly let the world witness the truth. The truth that we have nothing with each other. There may be no other greater opportunity than this. I’ll take it.”

“So, the plan is ‘Be Yourself’ huh. I’m in!” Chaeyoung as the ever proponent of self-expression supports it.

Mina wouldn’t be able to join on this event as the audience goes beyond just Once. She’s still on limited public exposure. Regardless, she gives her two cents. “Just like everyone Jihyo-yah, remember that I’m here.”

“No more excuses”, Jihyo remembers Mina’s determination back in the Once Halloween fan meet.

Mina nods and adds, “No more hiding too.”

“We shouldn’t care about him. There are other more important things to mind”, savage Tzuyu suggests.

“Right! It will be our 1500th day!” Dahyun reminds them.

“Hing! This feeling again. I’m excited for Once! But nervous for whatever may happen”, Momo checks the state of her tummy.

It’s always easier said than done. Twice tried to go about their day as usual on Incheon airport wearing all black with respect to the passing of a sunbae. As soon as they land in Hanoi, the girls gone straight to the stadium. Other stars are also flying in in various times for their stage rehearsals.

Upon settling in the hotel, Jeongyeon and Sana checks on the leader by pestering her. It’s their way of shaking off the nerves that Jihyo may be consumed of.

“DON’T- “ Sana instantly confiscates Jihyo’s phone “Don’t read anything today, tomorrow, and until we leave Vietnam.”

“Is the world thinking all sorts of things about me now? Some Once making fun too?”

“Honestly, yes.” Jeong sighs. Then says mockingly, “The world is thinking you’re meeting up with him cause with busy sched, when else?!”

Jihyo huffs, head bowed down.

“BUT are you actually doing that?” Jeong asks.

Jihyo shakes head.

“And who are you actually spending time with?” Sana adds.

Jihyo looks up to them.

“While we’re at it, could we just kick our feet up, watch a show, and relax yeah? I heard this drama is good”, Jeong turns the TV on and browses Netflix. She selects a romantic drama.

The next day, Jihyo wakes up to a relaxed feeling. Thanks to her best friend as well as her partner beside her. Yet it slowly fades as the event deals with mobbing audience and technical difficulties.

Due to delays, everything is rushed. To a point that while some stars are still walking the red carpet, the others are already performing on stage. Moreover, the girls are seated at the most front. Regardless of hair color now, it seems Jihyo is set to be seen wide open.

On to Bonsang minor awards. As Twice is included for the Social Artist batch, they walk towards the podium and Jihyo delivers speech as she would.

“It’s such an honor to be invited to Vietnam and be able to receive this award. I think we’re able to get this thanks to Mina who gives us strength though she couldn’t be here today. And because our Onces are there.

Thank you so so much for always giving us such a large amount of love. In the future, I want to make many many memories with Once. Thank you, members, as well!”

The girls go back to their seats and the show goes on. As they would, they stand on their feet and claps on every artist called for other categories. Including when Kang Daniel is summoned up stage.

Just- with extra professionalism. All the girls’ eyes are on the monitor all throughout instead of the man himself, faces rather neutral. As in without smiles. This is just business after all.

Twice is second to the last in the lineup to perform. This particular Fancy + Feel Special stage is also extra. Extra serious bordering angry. Could be due to the troubles and delays. Whatever it may be, their eyes are piercing.

And the Daesang major award goes to—Twice ends the night receiving an equivalent of Artist of the Year, one of the most coveted prizes. If there’s any consolation that this tough day has brought, it’s this.

Nayeon leads on the speech, “Receiving the Singer of the Year award like this, I feel like time has passed from practicing while dreaming, debuting, and promoting. As much as it passed, I feel that the people around me have become precious.

Our 9 Twice, the Once who always support us, the staff who take care of us, Division 3. We’ll become a more solid Twice. Please look over us Once. Thank you.”

Nayeon gives Momo the mic, “Thank you so much for giving a big award to us who are still lacking. We’ll become Twice who is able to make Once happier in the future. I love you so much my members. Thank you!”

It’s then passed to Chaeyoung, “Though we can’t be here with Mina at this moment, we are together as 9 in our hearts. As much as we receive this award, we’ll release more songs as Twice that give you energy and give us energy. It would be great if it’s the case all the time. I’m always thankful, thank you.”

Lastly, Jeongyeon “In Korea time today, it’s our 1500th day since debut though there are many sunbaenims here. Congratulations to Once too. We’re returning today’s daesang to Once, thank you!”

AAA lasted almost 2 hours past midnight. Though this is Twice’s first award of its kind, just like the event, the celebration would have to be delayed and moved some other time. With an excruciating day trying to be themselves as they would despite the world’s judgement, the girls would rather rest.

Jeongyeon and Sana in Jihyo’s room again watching as much episodes until they drop. Sana is first to doze off. The leader’s best friend gets to ask something, “Weren’t you crushing on Nichkhun oppa before?”

“O, wae?”

“Nothing. Just- Wouldn’t it be nice to have such an acknowledging relationship like him and Tiffany sunbae back then? Wherein on award shows, you get to congratulate each other with smiles?”

“In a way, I already have.” Jihyo says as she has flashbacks of every MAMA awards with Sana behind holding her.