Era of Bizarreness

Best Kept Secret

Jihyo along with the girls walk towards the podium and receive a gleaming daesang. They welcome the trophy intro their palms like children being gifted their prized plushie.

"Thank you to Once who watch over us through both the good and bad. We’ll work hard to show you a good image as 9 member-Twice.”

When Nayeon delivered a familiar speech, the stadium is engulfed with a certain sound. It’s as if a downpour is hammering a steel roof. Not quite an applause but rather, a menacing buzz by the public.

“Yeah babe, how ‘bout also pulling a Jihyo? Come over to my place!”

“That’s her! She’s gone often to his house doing God knows what. Too busy to notice her bandmate is sick.”

“Daebak~ Where do their confidence come from?”

The girls step back in a cluster as the spotlight gets constricted on to them. Lights off. Jihyo awakens.

It’s only been three hours. Yet, she won’t go back after a hideous trance. Carefully, she tiptoes past her roommates who are still in slumber to try shrugging it off. Then, on the sofa, she finds a comrade.

“You too, Jihyo unnie?” Chaeyoung receives a nod. She sighs, “Rest is the most important. Wish we could defend ourselves in sleep too.”

“I’m sorry, Chaeyoung-ah." Jihyo is apologetic. This is the limit of leadership. There is so much that’s out of her control affecting the members like this.

“On behalf of everything and everyone, sorry to Unnie as well.”

Jihyo quietly sobs. It may not have been from the rightful source. Nonetheless, a sincere apology is what’s needed to be heard and be able to let go.

“Don’t cry so much, Unnie-yah. Jeongyeon-ie told me there are more happy memories.” Chaeng offers her throw pillows, “Nap when you can. Let’s get strength so we could do more of those.”

Time passed with her eyes merely shut. As much as Jihyo needs to, she barely drifted to deep sleep enough to restore her. Thus, she struggles on Inkigayo.

“I’m getting old as it’s really tiring.”

“No Jihyo-yah! We’re just 14 years old”, Momo tries to uplift the leader who slumps to a corner grasping for air.

The SaMo couple ring catches her attention. She recalls Sana telling her about the inscription on it, “The time now is precious”. Feeling envious, Jihyo yearns for it. The ability to be in the moment once again.

In essence, any moment is hers for the taking. That ability is with her all along pulling in Sana as partners together. In any field, it’s just a matter of actually jumping into the moment in order to be. Takes a leap of faith as what Jeongyeon did for the rebellion.

Yoo Jeongyeon is a known tsundere. She cares but is subtle about it. Her love language is definitely understated. In a group that consists of highly affectionate members, she often avoids skinship. It seems she’s better off giving it than receiving.

But not to a point where Jeongyeon would be the one to initiate and be aggressive in public. Fully taking advantage of the issue, she has faith in offering the best of the best fanservice. Thus, though it’s unexpected of her, she primes herself towards Nayeon.

A groggy yet hyper Sana misunderstood it. She stands before Jeongyeon open to receive such rarity. The girl crush Jeong then voices out that it’s Nayeon she wants instead. She excuses it as Twice traditional gift for the unnie’s birthday bash.

Right in the middle of the fan meet, Jeongyeon starts chasing Nayeon of her teeth-puckered kisses. The unnie flails yet again. Of all the members, Nayeon LOVES kisses. It’s also unexpected of her to run away from it.

This bizarre occurrence sends a mixed message. Most thinks the kiss tradition has died as the girls are purportedly getting dates nowadays. Perhaps, it could be awkward to the “boyfriend”. Even so, the observant few comprehends it.

“UNNIE WAE?!” Jeong cups Nayeon’s cheeks pulling them to her.

“If you wanna kiss me, do it gently damnit!” Clutching unto the other’s wrist, Nayeon grits in defense. Teeth are not soft after all. She then shrieks, “AHH SHIRO!!”

Jeongyeon’s first attempt to grab the world by the throat flops. Yet somehow for Jihyo, it’s reassuring. She makes attempts as well in gaining back her bright self no matter how trivial. As in jokingly throwing a toy bug to the entomophobes. She succeeds startling Momo.

But not Sana. Her trust in Jihyo is that strong, it’d take graver circumstances to scare one dangerous Japanese. She doesn’t flinch one bit. “What’s this, Jihyo-ssi?”

Uh-oh.

Initial attempts are seldom victorious. Certainly, there are consequences. Sana goes ship hopping. She is off biting Jeong’s clavicle, petting Dahyun, or pampering a penguin plushie in lieu of someone special.

Mina. Wherever the girls go, they never forget her. Evidently, the truth they live and express is that of Twice being nine.

“When I knew I have a scene with Mina unnie, I felt kinda cheesy. Isn’t it cheesy?” Chaeyoung shares to Once.

Simultaneously, that MiChaeng scene in the Feel Special MV plays on the big screen behind them. Nayeon and Momo bring it to Chaeng’s attention making her melt in front of everyone.

“Aww, it’s really heartwarming when Chaeyoung and Mina met”, Jeongyeon mumbles. She’s fighting back in her own way, everyone. It won’t be long ‘til we’d meet again. When it does, it will also be heartwarming.

Outsiders looking into the fandom are repulsed. For what they see is just eight. And with an issue after another, they leech off of the drama in the name of relevancy. Some may have been curious as to whether the members are turning against each other in light of these fiascos.

On the Power Time radio interview the following day, the girls get another chance to send an improved message. The question goes, “How do you maintain teamwork?”

Tzuyu: “Have the mind towards a common goal.”

Jeongyeon: “Our members are really honest.”

Nayeon: “Nothing’s bottled up. Hurts and gratitude are expressed well.”

Chaeyoung: “We talk to each other a lot.”

The query is answerable with something as simple as Practice. It must have been from Chaeyoung’s GQ shoot that their words started to pack a punch.

Jihyo does it this time, “Due to the nature of our job, it can’t be helped to show sensitivity or anger. But since we’re together more than our own families, we know and understand each other really well. This is why we could go for so long.”

Of course, Twice could only try and gamble. Speculating Once would read between the lines is already quite a feat. What more explaining to the general public. Regardless, the girls are all-in expressing their truth.

Even for the day’s fan meet, Jeongyeon volunteers an info. “Aren’t you curious about Mina?” She reveals, “Mina is doing well.”

Momo shares, “Mina misses Once a lot.”

“And she received your letters." Jeongyeon adds, "Please send as many!”

As for the frustrated attempt, the theoretical demise of the kiss tradition is up for rebuttal. Affectionate members are fighting for their right.

“My birthday is approaching. If you end the tradition now before my birthday…”, Sana raises a point.

Momo supports Sana, “We’ve been doing it since debut. Let’s keep it until we’re grannies.”

The Yoo Jeongyeon instantly surrenders, “Alright.”

A lady in purpose won’t flop next time. She won’t only grab the world by the throat. But also, shove the truth down to it. Regardless of the awkwardness it could bring to the quote unquote boyfriends.