ch 17

I Think my Roommate is a Model

SinB lay awake next to Sojung, Sojung had really meant it when she said to sleep, perhaps she had wanted to sleep herself and mentioned it as such. SinB imagined that it would be hard to have come back from work only to listen to a roommate’s stupid history, the amount of stress Sojung must have felt made her feel guilty, but with the warmth coming from next to her, it seemed to slowly melt away as it somewhat reassured her that this was Sojung’s decision, not completely her fault.

She had ended up not answering Sojung’s question about asking Eunha, mostly because she didn’t know if she wanted to know. What if it was better left unknown? That her thoughts of Eunha being innocent had been wrong all along? It would crush her soul to think that her only childhood friend would do something so horrible to her. Knowing the truth, however, could also be that she could banish all her evil doubts and perhaps ease her mind. Still, the fear in finding the true nature of her childhood friend kept her from responding. Maybe a part of her wanted Sojung to make that decision for her.

She stared up at the ceiling, wanting to empty her busy mind and become as blank as the white paint above. Sojung’s room was orderly and had a few more decorations than her own room. SinB smiled a little, remembering how she had walked in two months ago with just one large suitcase and her backpack. Sojung had a desk lamp that had this cute little keychain dangling from its neck, it was likely a mascot for some cartoon that SinB didn’t recognize. Even though it was just a desk lamp with a keychain, it had increased the homeliness of Sojung’s room far more than SinB had done to her own room with her shelf with two cameras.

There was a small shuffling and SinB carefully stayed still as she peeked from the corner of her eye as Sojung rolled over onto her side away from SinB, pulling the blanket slightly. SinB waited for a few minutes, making sure that Sojung was really asleep, and when she was certain again, SinB scooted over just a little closer to Sojung again. If Sojung woke up, SinB would respond with a slight whine that she had pulled the blanket away as an excuse to be that close.

Gripping the edge of the blanket in her hand, SinB closed her eyes and tried to sleep.

 

In the morning, SinB had woken up alone. It had left her with a slight chill and a sense of loneliness, but the thought that Sojung might have had a hard time getting out from the inside of the bed without waking SinB made her smile softly.

Leaving Sojung’s room, SinB noted that Sojung must have gone out, since the bathroom door wasn’t closed and there was a plate on the drying rack by their kitchen sink. Sojung likely had breakfast and went off to class, SinB hadn’t checked the time nor the schedule. Looking to the coffee table in the middle of their living room, SinB found a small note that told her where her cellphone was.

[You left it here yesterday, but it was running out of battery, I only saw it because someone called you. I plugged it to charge in the kitchen.]

Sojung’s kindness was making SinB feel warm again as she wandered to the kitchen. There weren’t many people who could’ve called her, her parents, Yewon, and….maybe her family doctor? She didn’t have much more in her contact book besides those required for health. The call log showed an unrecognizable number, but this person had left her a voice message.

Tapping on the listen option, SinB placed her phone on her shoulder to hold against her cheek as she used both hands to retrieve stuff from the refrigerator. Pulling out the milk as the recording played, SinB almost dropped it on her foot when the first words were her name.

“…..Eunbi ah.”

*clack*

“I’m home. Hm? You just got up now SinB ah?”

SinB quickly picked up the milk and placed it on the counter, shutting off her phone. Sojung’s classes must have just ended. She hadn’t noticed the clock when she was checking her phone, so she passed her shock off as surprise to Sojung’s arrival.

“Yeah, good morning unnie.”

“Good morning sleepy head. Did you know you snuggle in your sleep?”

SinB paused as she held her mug of milk, halfway to putting it in the microwave.

“Snuggle? How so?”

“Well, it didn’t bother me so it’s fine, but don’t sleep next to anyone you’re not familiar with. Not that you would or anything.”

“Eh? What did I do?”

Sojung seemed to be a little embarrassed at being prompted why, did SinB do something bad? Snuggling wasn’t exactly a predetermined action, so it could range from anywhere from light leaning against each other to completely wrapped around the other person.

“W-well, you just uh, hugged me with an arm that’s all.”

“Oh.”

Did she somehow in her sleep throw her arm over Sojung’s waist?

“L-like I said, it didn’t bother me, I just found it a little…cute.”

SinB blushed as Sojung scratched her cheek, it seemed to be her new habit. Hurrying to finish heating her milk up, SinB could feel the awkward silence between them, it was like they were afraid of scaring each other away again. Though, when thinking about it, it almost made SinB laugh from this pressure filled air, after their talk, there was hardly anything SinB didn’t know about Sojung that would make her seem anything bad.

“Unnie, hahaha.”

“What? What’s so funny?”

“Nothing hahaha, how was classes this morning? Did you sleep well?”

“If you’re implying that I had fallen asleep in class, I’ll have you know that I did not do such a thing.”

SinB’s giggling eventually made Sojung’s fake hurt into a smile.

“I mean we really slept at 9 okay? For all I know, last night was the longest sleep I’ve had in the last month.”

“That must be hard.”

“Harder when they are nightmares, right?”

Sojung casually patted SinB’s hair, thinking nothing of the act until later. SinB just agreed silently.

“SinB ah!”

“Hm? Oh! Yerin unnie, hello.”

“Hmph! You didn’t send me a message when you felt better so you had me worried all night!”

Her puffed cheeks and slightly childish style of dress made SinB burst into giggles, which easily made Yerin’s irritations disappear.

“Seriously though, are you okay?”

“Yeah, better than ever. Sojung unnie promised not to leave me.”

“That’s good, you two were like kicked puppies when you guys were fighting. Seriously, it just hurt to look at either of you.”

“Me? Perhaps, but Sojung unnie? I couldn’t even tell there was anything bothering her, unnie must have a good eye on reading people.”

Yerin just tsked and booped SinB on the nose, her hyper attitude was just as helpful as soaking in vitamin D from the sun.

“You my dear, just have terrible eyesight.”

“I should make an appointment with my doctor then.”

Yerin sighed as SinB laughed lightly, to Yerin, she must appear to be joking her way out of serious situations, but now it wasn’t really that serious of a situation anymore. Perhaps saying that may be wrong, but Sojung wasn’t avoiding her anymore and stayed by her side when she was vulnerable.

“Unnie I’ll head to class then.”

“This unnie is following you to the doorway today.”

“Eh? Why? Don’t you have classes too?”

“I do, but not today. Professor caught the flu and the ta said they didn’t have anything planned so it’s canceled.”

“Oh.”

SinB felt a little self-conscious as Yerin seemed to be like a guard dog, looking every which way as they strolled towards her lecture hall.

“Unnie?”

“Yeah?”

“What are you doing?”

“Just looking for a girlfriend.”

SinB choked a little at how bluntly Yerin put it.

“What?!”

“What? Never heard of window shopping before? I’m kidding SinB ah.”

The clap on her back grounded SinB again, breathing a slight sigh of relief that Yerin was trying to lighten her mood. It might have been an excuse to cover up Yerin’s suspicions of Eunha’s involvement, since she only knew that Eunha was the only related person at the site of her fainting. Surely, later she needed to investigate that rude boy who had spooked SinB, but for now, she was on patrol.

“SinB ah, I know it’s probably Sojung’s job to listen to your worries now that you’re friends again, but if you need it, I’m also here. Yewon and Yuna as well you know?”

“Right. I should tell Yewon shouldn’t I?”

“I think she deserves to know at least a little. She’s sometimes talked to me about you before, she’s had some concerns, but I didn’t take them too seriously until you fainted. You can tell me another day why alright?”

“Promise.”

Yerin linked her fingers to SinB’s playfully and sent her into the lecture hall with a smile. Taking her seat, she set out her notebook and pencil, ready for class.

“Is this seat taken?”

SinB looked up at the slightly nervous looking tall lady beside her. She was wearing sunglasses indoors and she was dressed a little more….suspiciously?

“Sojung unnie?”

Sojung just sighed and sat down.

“Did you follow me unnie?”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to, I was just a liiiiiiittle bit worried. You did faint a little ways from here but still. You’ve told me before that you sometimes run into her on campus.”

Sojung seemed hesitant about sitting in a class she hadn’t paid for, but she was also here to make sure that SinB was going to be okay, just like Yerin had.

“Here, take off those glasses and pull up your hood. You look suspicious like that unnie.”

“You’re not mad that I followed you?”

“Mm, it’s a little overprotective, especially only after one night, but it’s your intentions I appreciate.”

“Oh, uh, good. Good.”

Sojung ducked when the teacher walked in and SinB had to stop herself from laughing.

“Calm down, this professor isn’t too strict.”

“It’s just that I have never done this before okay?”

“Oho, but I know you skipped work before?”

“Skipping work and sitting in a place I shouldn’t be are two different things!”

“Shhhhh!”

Sojung comically covered , making SinB smile. Yes, this was the dorky unnie that she shared her dorm with when they had just first met each other. They had exchanges like these after a month of sharing the place and then went on a rocky path, SinB didn’t like celebrating random anniversaries, but since it was the passing of the second month of living together, she couldn’t help but think that she was super lucky for landing such a nice roommate.

“Thanks, unnie.”

“Huh? No problem?”

=====================

hmmmm today's chapter feels a little bit like a filler haha, didn't want anything too heavy before christmas after all, happy holidays

thank you for reading