ch 28

I Think my Roommate is a Model

“Eh?”

Looking down at her nearly finished food and the empty seats in front of her, she bit her lip nervously.

“I….waited all night for her though….”

Poking at the remains of her fried rice, she decided that she didn’t want to finish it. The suddenness of her roommate and RA’s disappearance was quite the event to happen to her on a Sunday morning.

“So, where are we going?”

“First, a coffee shop because you need to open your eyes a little more, so you don’t walk into poles.”

“I don’t walk into poles.”

Yerin just chuckled and patted Sojung’s shoulder as she moved forwards, taking the lead.

“I forget, you are a pole.”

“Oi-“

Quieting upon entering the coffee shop just off the university campus, Sojung was forced to sit at a table alone in the corner as Yerin decided what she was to drink.

“Unnie, you’re okay with sweet things, right?”

“I suppose so.”

Presented with a white chocolate mocha, Sojung eyed the cream on top and worried that it was going to be too sweet.

“Don’t worry I added one more shot.”

Eyes widening as she had only ever taken two or less, she braced herself for the taste before taking a sip and grimacing.

“That’s a good expression, it’ll wake you up nicely. By the way, do you have a headache? Since you said that you didn’t sleep well.”

“Ah, luckily I don’t.”

Still holding her cup gingerly, Yerin pulled her out of the coffee shop and towards the mall.

“Sojung unnie went with Yerin unnie on a date?”

SinB nodded. Yewon had called her out to hang out then have lunch together to discuss the next day, with classes starting, they had to pick which dining halls they would meet up at to eat together. Being two different departments despite in a similar line of work, meant that their classes weren’t very close to each other’s.

“I guess Yerin unnie calls any event with just two people a date.”

Yewon raised her eyebrows as Yuna just giggled.

“Why? Are you worried that Yerin unnie is going after Sojung unnie? Yewon ah, lower that eyebrow already.”

Looking at Yuna funnily, SinB wondered if she knew something that she didn’t, but didn’t feel like asking, but Yuna noticed and giggled again.

“You might not know this, but Yerin unnie uses the word date only when there’s a girl that she thinks is cute going with her, no matter how many by the way.”

Yewon blinked and her eyebrows drew together.

“Um, Yuna unnie, doesn’t that mean we should be worried? That means that she finds Sojung unnie cute.”

Yuna hummed but shrugged.

“I mean, don’t you both think that Sojung unnie is cute as well? I’d call it a date if I could invite her to go somewhere alone.”

“Ah, well I get that feeling.”

SinB looked up at the sudden silence from Yewon who pinched Yuna’s side for giggling again.

“What? Did I say something weird?”

“SinB yah, if given the chance, would you date Sojung unnie?”

“Eh? That’s…..not going to happen so I won’t answer.”

Yewon sat back in her chair and Yuna excused herself to pick up a call. SinB looked nervously at the table in between them, her gaze lowered and the joking atmosphere slightly more tense than usual.

“Then, if Eunha unnie asked you out, would you accept?”

“…E-eh?”

SinB could feel herself shrink a little even if not physically. If she entertained the idea that Eunha would date her….the silence left after her words was so loud in her head, she felt as if anything that ruptured the silence would hurt. Or maybe if she said anything, accepting, denying, both would hurt.

“SinB?”

Taking a breath but not able to say anything, SinB looked down into her lap where her hands gripped the hem of her jacket in small fists.

“….SinB ah, if you can’t say anything then there’s something wrong.”

Getting up and walking around the table, SinB watched as Yewon sat next to her, she seemed to be deliberating something. Silently, Yewon wrapped her arms around SinB’s shoulders, pulling her into a hug.

“SinB ah. All I can say, I guess, is that the past is the past. I’m not telling you to forget it. But I’m telling you not to let it drag you down.”

SinB’s hands slowly reached around Yewon’s back, just lightly holding onto her friend. Hugs from Yewon was different from when she got hugs from Eunha. Hugs from Eunha was different from hugs from Sojung (although it was in her sleep). It would be pretty simple to just say that everyone’s hugging style was different to begin with, being different people. Tightening her hold around Yewon a little and burying her face into Yewon’s shoulder, she let out a sob.

Yewon’s hugs were warm and caring.

When her short crying session had stopped, she apologized for making Yewon deal with her being so weak.

“But you’re not weak.”

“You’ll make me cry again.”

“Silly, I’m just here to remind you that there are good people around.”

Yewon patted her back as SinB hiccupped.

“There might not be many out there, but I can say that Sojung unnie would accept you however you are. If you want a reason, one I can come up with is because you accepted her. You saw how we all became closer with her after you made up with her.”

“Yeah, unnie is a really good person.”

“Ah, but if you really don’t like a person romantically though, don’t lead them on.”

“Huh?”

“We were talking about if someone confessed remember?”

Right, she almost lost her composure because of the thought that Eunha unnie would ask her out, what with the baggage that her past had given her. There still was a heavy feeling in her mind, but with Yewon’s encouragement, she wasn’t going to just stay silent about it now.

“I-I think I’ll just say no to everyone.”

“Oh, okay.”

Yewon furrowed her eyebrows but let SinB’s answer slide because her shoulders looked more relaxed than they were before. Sometimes there were things that one had to solve on their own, all Yewon could do now was to see if SinB needed her as her best friend.

“So, unnie what brands of clothes do you like?”

Sojung walked behind Yerin slowly. She was much more awake than earlier, and she wasn’t exactly feeling sick because of the caffeine now running in her system, but she wasn’t feeling like shopping.

“Um, I don’t have a specific brand. I just buy clothes when I feel like I’ve worn something far too many times.”

“But you’re always dressed in those baggy clothes unnie, today you’re not. Maybe you have a secret closet?”

“Not really….”

“How’s this?”

Yerin held up a tight t shirt that was probably too short body lengthwise for Sojung who just sighed. Assuming that Yerin didn’t know who, she was, or maybe she did since she was their RA, Yerin knew just how to tickle her nerves. If she dressed in that shirt, her stomach would be exposed and well, Sojung knew how to dress to impress or to show off, this was part of the latter.

“I don’t want to stand out.”

“I know, but if you’re going to win SinB’s heart, shouldn’t you at least dress with intent around her? Steal her eyes with your beauty unnie!”

“I- what?”

“You know, they say that the path to the heart is through the stomach? This is just another way I read in a book.”

Sojung sided and continued to follow as Yerin rambled on as she rifled through shelves of clothes. Maybe when she got the energy to, she’ll pick out an outfit and then cut their date short with buying it then return to the dorm and sleep until tomorrow came. For now, she was going to entertain Yerin and her apparently, book of steps to a woman’s heart.

“You would think that it’s chocolate!”

“Haaaaah…..”

They walked past a jewelry shop and something shiny caught Sojung’s eye. Stopping in her tracks, Sojung looked into the shop through the window, Yerin backstepped to her side.

“Jewelry is good, but it comes after you’ve gotten closer. Since, it’s expensive, it’ll weigh a lot on her mind if you gave it to her early on.”

“Can you maybe not follow the book?”

“Well, it’s a suggestion.”

Yerin shrugged good naturedly and pulled Sojung inside the shop. For a girl who was just saying that accessories of this nature were too heavy of a present, she still was going to bring Sojung into the shop.

“What caught your eye unnie?”

Sojung walked over to the counter on the left side of the shop, it was case filled with necklaces, each as shiny and expensive as the last.

“Unnie, these are really expensive.”

“I know.”

Yerin just stared at the jewels and Sojung finally smiled a little. She wasn’t really planning on buying something so expensive, it had just caught her eye a little. Although she’d have to admit that buying a necklace from this shop would be too much, she still denies that the book would actually work in practical use.

“Yerin ah, if you were going to receive jewelry from a significant other, how would it make you feel?”

“Eh? I mean, I’d be happy, but it’s expensive, and I don’t wear accessories well, so I’d feel bad, I guess? Or maybe I’d start wearing them just to use it.”

“I guess I’ll get her one later.”

“Ah but if it’s a ring, I think I’d want to choose it out together.”

Sojung raised her eyebrow at that and Yerin just smiled.

“I’m rooting for you wedding you know?”

Sojung chuckled and patted Yerin’s head, for she appeared childish and genuine. It might have been a little annoying of her to drag her out everywhere, but it was with a good heart and a good reason.

“Why’re you patting me like I’m a kid? I’m a responsible adult you know?”

“I know, I just found you kinda endearing just then. Other than that, you’re quite the pushy RA.”

“Hey!”

“I’ll buy one outfit and listen to you just for today.”

Yerin’s smile made Sojung’s lips curl up a little. She was like a little sister that she never had, perhaps because Yerin was used to being spoiled by her brother, she behaved like a little sister easily. But SinB on the other hand, wasn’t exactly like a little sister but she still cared for her, this was the difference between SinB and the others. There was a certain different desire with her.

“What are you waiting for unnie? Let’s get something scandalous!”

“Please, anything but that.”

==================

SinB begins to accept herself with the help of Yewon just talking with her, maybe she'll entertain the thought of a relationship sooner than before

Sojung reaffirms that Yerin may be a dork but has a different relationship to her than SinB does and now begins the plan to appeal her attractiveness towards SinB by not dressing in unfitting clothes

Next time, SinB will see Sojung in her usual style as Sowon up close and personal rather than separated by a camera or a table of energy drinks :P