ch 5

I Think my Roommate is a Model

SinB rubbed her eyes as she looked over her textbook one last time. Her professor had assigned a reading, as well as a test to check their diligence. Flipping the last page, SinB’s eyes trailed slowly along the last sentences, humming when she finished. The text wasn’t really hard to read, but rather difficult to keep in her head. Considering how the concept wasn’t too hard, SinB groaned as she tried to memorize the main point of the last twenty pages.

Flopping back onto the couch, she stretched her sore back, having switched through many positions to get through the reading, on her side, on her back, hunched over the coffee table, flopping on her bed, sitting straight up at the dining table. Hearing the front door unlock, SinB flopped over the back bit, waving as Sojung walked in.

“Hey unnie.”

Sojung jumped a little before soothing her heart. Hitting the light switch, Sojung gave a tired smile when she finally could tell that it was SinB.

“Hey, what’re you doing in the dark?”

“It wasn’t that dark.”

SinB whined just a little, rubbing her stinging eyes from the lights. Sliding back into the couch, SinB packed up her homework, half yawning as she walked it back to her room.

“Ah, right. Unnie?”

“Yeah?”

“Did you have dinner before coming back?”

“Mm.”

SinB rubbed her chin, thinking of something they could do together as she stood in her room’s doorway, leaning on one side. Watching as Sojung walked out of her room and into the bathroom in a sluggish way, SinB smiled. Maybe she’d ask tomorrow, Sojung seemed to be extremely tired and it was already 11 at night anyways.

“Unnie, I’ll be in my room if you need anything.”

“Okay.”

SinB grinned and flopped on her bed, scrolling through her phone looking at the job offers on campus. A message dinged and SinB opened it quickly.

“Oh, it’s Yewon.”

Quickly typing a reply, SinB then searched through her closet quickly. Yewon had found that her drama department was doing a special class on modeling, for the actors to become familiar with the works in case that ended up as their roles. Of course, many modeling kids also attended drama classes out of hobby and interest, it was how model turned actors came to be.

Now, because it was focused on modeling, that meant camera work. Since SinB was in the photography department, she was fit for the job. Not to mention, this job was like a one-off thing between departments that would go up on the website soon. Yewon was really, treating her too well. She wouldn’t get money for it, but SinB would get the experience.

Finally digging out her best black pants and suit shirt, SinB set it aside, overly excited to finally use her camera. She had been using it in her spare time to take landscape shots of the school, originally, she wanted to take more pictures of people to practice, but society wasn’t really okay with a random shot of themselves found on the internet. SinB shivered as a memory of a guy who happened to walk into frame proceeded to snatch her baby and take out the memory card to smash it.

Speaking of which, SinB held her camera gently. Looking over each little scratch and running her fingers over it gently, she sighed.

Sojung yawned as she looked at the clock on her desk, she was writing in the last word of her self-introduction speech that she had due for class. With her homework complete, Sojung shut down her computer, planning on remembering it the day before her turn. 3 am wasn’t unusual for her lifestyle, but 3 am was now much more dangerous. Instead of having to wake up at noon for makeup and modeling, she had to wake at 8 to catch an 8:30 class in the morning.

Her stomach growled a little, but Sojung ignored it, pulling out a notepad and scribbling down some groceries she needed to get. Circling milk in three circles, Sojung grinned before leaving to clean up for bed one more time. She really craved a warm cup of milk before bed.

Noticing that SinB’s door was still open, Sojung curiously peeked in. Was she still awake? The lights were dim as SinB only had a desk light on, her ceiling light was unused. Looking around to spot her roommate, Sojung raised an eyebrow when she found SinB asleep, but sat up in the corner of her bed and hugging her pillow, her blanket half off the bed. Knocking lightly, Sojung made sure that SinB was asleep before entering the rather empty room. She was reminded that SinB wasn’t one of those high society girls who got in via money, then again, it wasn’t like SinB acted like one anyways, Sojung silently shook her head. Pulling SinB to lay down in her bed was too risky, so Sojung just pulled her blanket back up and over her arms, holding it still for a bit to make sure it stayed up around the smaller girl.

It couldn’t have been that she was too noisy earlier when she was unpacking a few more things and moving her textbooks to her shelf? Sojung apologetically brushed SinB’s hair out of her face before leaving and closing the door behind her. Going into the kitchen for a cup of water, she sipped it, trying to quell the slight grumble in her stomach before going to bed.

Staring at the calendar on the fridge, Sojung thought to herself. Tomorrow more like later, after classes, she had to go to a meeting with her company’s representative to talk about some collaboration with a brand. Usually it’d be her and her manager, but for some reason, the company’s representative was coming as well. It was unusual, but not too unusual. There could be some other business they needed to discuss. The only real difference to Sojung was that it was going to get stuffy.

SinB hummed as she returned from her first class in the morning; the awkward things with her Tuesdays and Thursdays was that she had class in the morning and class at night. Ruffling her hair as she wandered the living room, she messaged Yewon about meeting for lunch, then realized that she still hadn’t exchanged numbers with Sojung.

That made her feel a little weird, but it wasn’t like she had control over that bit. Sojung was often busy, she had her job to get to and it was late at night when she gets back. Standing in the entryway of the apartment, SinB scanned Sojung’s schedule.

“We can have lunch together, or well, I can ask her. Unless she’s got work again. Haven’t gotten her work schedule yet. Is that too overbearing though?”

At that moment, SinB could almost hear her mother’s voice warning her, warning her not to stand in front of an inwards swinging door, as it just opened and tapped her on the forehead.

“Ah.”

Sojung quickly stopped, grabbing the door before it drifted in more.

“SinB? Oh my god! I’m so sorry! Are you okay?”

SinB grinned and pulled the door open all the way, her hand just quickly checking her forehead, but it wasn’t really a strong impact.

“It’s fine unnie, I was just checking my schedule.”

Sojung still checked SinB’s forehead, which SinB noticed was rather easy for the older since she was taller. SinB took in her roommate’s appearance as she worried over SinB’s forehead which had turned just a tad bit pink. Sojung was wearing baggy jeans with a belt that seemed a little too short for her legs, hanging way over her ankles revealing her worn down shoes. Not that SinB minded how Sojung presented herself, but with her experience in photography, even she knew that it wasn’t quite the fashion choice.

“Unnie, why do you always wear such huge clothing?”

“E-eh?”

Looking at Sojung’s form, SinB hummed, seeing her hunched over a little. It was almost as if Sojung never walked with her shoulder’s back with confidence. Reaching up and pushing Sojung’s shoulder’s back and making her stand straight, SinB frowned a little.

“Unnie should walk with more confidence.”

“I-it’s fine.”

Brushing off SinB, Sojung took off her shoes and put them on her shelf before moving around SinB to put her bag down in her room. SinB pouted a little, was she being bossy?

“Hey, unnie.”

“Yeah?”

At least Sojung still responded to her.

“You wanna get lunch together? I’ll introduce you to my friends.”

“Your friends? You should have fun then, I’m not….very sociable.”

“Unnie, it’s fine. I mean, well….I’m not sociable either.”

“But you’ve got friends to eat with?”

Sojung exited her room, her shoulders slouching again, it looked as if her jacket was about to slip off her shoulders with how loose it was. SinB bit her lip as she wondered if it would be too heavy to dump her past on Sojung’s shoulders. Choosing to lighten it a bit, SinB gave a crooked smile.

“Well, I’ve….made an effort. Unnie has already been the most…nicest person to talk with since, well, high school.”

SinB shook her head, maybe Sojung wouldn’t get it, Sojung wasn’t in high school last year anyways, so high school would be a little too distant for Sojung to understand.

“Hey, at least you made an effort.”

This distracted SinB. She hadn’t seen Sojung smile that softly before, and it caught her off guard. Still, it warmed her to see that Sojung was just about every bit nice that she had already been.

“It doesn’t matter now anyways, past is the past, right?”

“Yeah, thanks unnie.”

Sojung watched SinB for a bit longer, noticing how she seemed to shuffle her feet. SinB must have gone through some serious stuff if just Sojung was already making her feel better.

“Hey, I was thinking it wasn't going to be a good idea to meet your friends, since, you know how I’m not around a lot.”

“Unnie, it’s only been like three days.”

“Mm, and I have been away on my job, and on an emergency already. Let’s just say that I can tell I might be out a lot. But anyways, if it means that much to you, I don’t mind meeting your friends.”

SinB grinned, holding her urge to hug the taller.

“Thanks, unnie! You know, when you’re not stuttering or being timid around me, you’re a lot like an older sister.”

Sojung blushed a little and adjusted her glasses.

“W-well, if you say so.”

=====================

so, now Sojung will meet Yewon