ch 9

I Think my Roommate is a Model

“SinB ah, you can do this, office hours are highly underused, just talk with the professor. The professor’s not scary, you’re just a coward SinB ah. Come on.”

“Giving yourself a pep talk, are we?”

SinB stiffened up immediately, bowing 90 degrees to her professor.

“S-sorry Professor.”

“No no, don’t be sorry, I agree that it’s quite scary in this society to talk to someone higher up.”

SinB’s professor unlocked her office, walking in and leading the way. SinB quietly followed behind, mentally berating herself that she should’ve checked whether her professor would’ve been in today or not, what if her professor had sent out an email just as she headed out that she couldn’t host office hours?

“Here, take a seat.”

The walls were covered in frames, some of certificates, some photos of the professor and her students, some, of which were photos of models.

“What questions do you have for me?”

Tearing her eyes from the very beautiful nameplate on the front of the desk, SinB looked up.

“Um, I was just wondering, if you could look at my pictures.”

“Sure, only if you don’t call me professor.”

SinB raised her eyebrows. What?

“Then what should I call you?”

“Hm, if this were America, I’d have you call me by name, and well, having you call me unnie would be selfish.”

SinB swallowed nervously as she noticed a glint in her professor’s eye.

“Th-then may I call you Jessica nim?”

This seemed to please her professor as she had clapped her hands with a laugh.

“That’s an interesting combination of English and Korean culture, I like you. Tell me your name, student.”

“I’m Hwang Eunbi, but I go by SinB.”

“Interesting.”

It was a little difficult to get used to how Professor Jessica talked with her, most likely due to her work having started in America, but she was very good at what she did. SinB enjoyed how she was able to nitpick every little detail about her shots and helped her make them even better.

 

Sojung looked up from her sandwich as the door to the dorm opened, she had been watching a podcast whilst having lunch when SinB returned.

“Hey, Sojung unnie!”

“Hey, you seem excited.”

SinB grinned and took a seat across from Sojung, dropping a small stack of papers on the table, revealing them to be printouts of the images SinB had been working on for Yewon’s class. Each page was littered with marks circling where to fix or notes on which angle was better.

“I just finished talking with Jessica nim. Ah! She’s my photography professor! She came over from America and is a little weird to talk with, but she’s so nice when you get to know her!”

Watching SinB talk about her discussion with the teacher was nice, it put a small smile on her face even when SinB then started to talk about the images themselves, which was similar to what the photographers always talked to her about before and after a photoshoot. Only, SinB’s words didn’t bore her in the slightest.

“I assume you had a lot of fun SinB ah.”

“Y-yeah! Also, unnie is feeling more comfortable to me.”

“Comfortable?”

“You aren’t stuttering today!”

“E-eh?”

Sojung hadn’t noticed that she had let it slip. Slightly perplexed that she was getting too relaxed in this environment, she had a slightly nervous smile.

“I guess you just have a calming effect now SinB.”

“Aw, you’re just saying that! But anyways, unnie, I got a job today!”

“Really? What kind of job?”

That change of topic was also so SinB, she was just so excitable over certain things it was cute. There was a little Yewon nagging her to try to talk to SinB but the bubbly hyper girl before her didn’t deserve to have this moment of happiness popped.

“My professor recommended me to a studio nearby after seeing my work with the students!”

“Wow! Is it a full time?”

“Well, it’s an internship, I go in when they call. I’ll pretty much just be working behind the scenes as an assistant, still! It’s a learning experience!”

“I’m happy for you.”

 

This was bad. This was very bad. Sowon stared at her reflection with as neutral look on her face as the makeup artists around her did their magic. Nobody told her that her Monday schedule was a shoot that had apprentice students who were working as interns from her university would be there. Although she hadn’t spotted SinB, and well, having left the house when SinB was still there, she really hoped that SinB didn’t happen to be in this internship. Just looking at the school jerseys and sweatshirts that the students wore was already making her queasy inside, she really didn’t need a SinB finding out what she did for her job.

It had been a long time since she last felt this nervous, which wasn’t necessarily a bad thing, since nervousness was a sign of wanting to do your best at something, not wanting something to go wrong. Checking her phone one more time as the director was talking to the interns, Sowon sent an angry emoji to her manager who apologetically smiled at her from his reflection in the mirror before her.

“I’m sorry I’m late!”

“Oh, rookie, you were the one that the professor recommended, weren’t you?”

. Sowon could practically hear SinB’s words all over again. My professor recommended me to a studio nearby after seeing my work with the students!  And Sojung had been so enthusiastic that SinB was doing what she wanted to do and encouraged her to do her best. Giving a tight-lipped smile to her helpers, Sowon slipped on her jacket and walked out from the back.

“Let’s get this over with.”

“Of course, Miss Sowon!”

She sighed and brushed her hair as she waited for the director to yell at everyone to be in place but put a dazzling smile once it began. Between shots, she kept an eye on where SinB was, thankfully, the younger girl looked busy or was too focused on the camera rather than herself.

“Man, Sowon is so beautiful!”

“Shut up dude! She’s ethereal!”

SinB ignored her co workers as she bustled around, handing out bottles of water to the staff when they called her, she wanted to watch the main cameraman but the closest she had gotten was the side camera that was taking a video of the process. Surely, later they would have to film a short pv to post on the brand’s social media.

“I need a hand over here!”

“Yes!”

SinB hurried over, helping unravel the long extension cord from it’s bundles of knots and tangles. Holding one end of it and efficiently weaving it out of an impossible knot, SinB grinned as she managed to untie the mess of cords. Accidentally bumping into someone behind, SinB quickly turned around to apologize but met face to face with someone…familiar?

“Sojung unnie?....”

“What are you looking at rookie? Get back to work!”

“I’m sorry!”

SinB ducked her head as her boss ordered her back, only managing to give a duck as an apology. Sowon narrowed her eyes a little, she had to be careful.

“Sowon ssi! We’re going to change this dress a little bit! A small tear was found so could you kindly change into this one for the moment?”

SinB watched from a distance as Sowon frowned and took the new garment. Cocking her head as she thought, SinB looked back to the work before her.

“No, there’s no way Sojung unnie would be Sowon ssi.”

Sojung was much nicer, and also much softer spoken. Smiling to herself thinking about her soft unnie back at dorm, SinB refocused back on her task at hand. Aside from running around and handing things out, untangling wires, she got the chance to help with setting up the screens for monitoring during the second half of the shoot when they changed cameras.

“I don’t like that shot. Delete it.”

“Eh?”

SinB looked up, Sowon was leaning over her shoulder with a focused glare.

“I said, delete that one.”

“B-but-“

“Delete it.”

SinB looked to her boss who just shook his head, SinB finally selected the image but hesitated to delete it.

“U-um if I may Sowon ssi? I think that you look amazing in this image as well.”

“I disagree, delete it.”

“You don’t have to look perfect all the-“

A sharp noise from her left told SinB to stop bothering Sowon, most likely her boss not wanting her to get in too much trouble. SinB sighed and deleted every image that Sowon ordered her to.

“Good work.”

Even when Sowon had left there was a huge thing going on, everyone in the studio had to see her off, bowing ninety degrees like a line of butlers, although it might just be her aura that made it feel so. SinB grumbled a little as she started to help pack up the equipment.

“Is she too full of herself? But she criticized her own images, so she isn’t totally self-centered.”

She breathed a deep sigh wondering why Sowon seemed to hate so much about her images, almost as if she hated herself. So many of the pictures that SinB had to delete, where far better than ones she could’ve taken herself, it felt like such a waste to just erase those moments.

Sojung looked up and gave a smile as SinB trudged in the front door.

“Hey, where’ve you been?”

“Oh, Sojung unnie. Remember I got an internship? I actually managed to get called in after you left, and it was a really great experience. Guess who I met though?”

“Hmm, well you work at a studio, so I guess a model. Or maybe an idol?”

“Ding dong! A model. She’s the greatest model of all time, at least that’s what the news says. I understand it, I mean she is really beautiful ah no ethereal was what that guy said, she’s just got this out of this world aura. I’m sure there are fans who are jealous that I was doing basically water boy work.”

Sojung chuckled and pushed SinB to her room.

“Grab a set of clothes, I’ve filled the tub for you.”

“Eh? You did that for me?”

“Mm, to celebrate your first day at work.”

“Wow!”

“Don’t soak for too long though.”

“Got it mom!”

SinB grinned as Sojung laughed it off, slapping her arm a little. Hurrying through her shower though, SinB carefully sat into the warm tub of water. Soaking in a tub wasn’t a thing they often did, but it really worked wonders on a tired body. She lay there for a while, thinking of nothing but relaxation.

“Ah, but how did she know I went to work and prepared this bath?”

===============

ehehehehehe