ch 2

I Think my Roommate is a Model

SinB paced a bit in her room after unpacking everything. Used to living in a minimalistic life, her closet was rather empty and the most expensive thing she owned was her camera and laptop. Sighing as she looked around the boring and too big room for just one person, she briefly wondered exactly how she ended up with this expensive apartment to share with Sojung. The rent must have been through the roof if not for her scholarship. Speaking of which, did it even give her enough money to pay for this rent? Shaking her head, SinB ruffled her hair before locking her valuables in the safe provided.

Heading out of her room and finding Sojung sat on the couch staring into space, SinB had a small smile. Perhaps Sojung was feeling the same as she was, unfamiliar with everything. Tapping her on the shoulder, she waved nicely.

“Hey, should we head to dinner now?”

Sojung seemed startled but nodded quickly.

“I’ll get my id card and be right back.”

SinB nodded and put on her sneakers, waiting by the doorway. Toying with her keys as she stared into space as she randomly thought about things she needed, she looked up when Sojung reappeared, keys and id in hand. Their university required them to buy a meal plan in the first year of living in dorms to ensure that they ate properly, but many stop after that to eat ramen to save costs.

“So, what are you majoring in Sojung ssi?”

“…literature and arts. I study texts and try to interpret the meanings in analytical essays.”

“Are you planning on becoming a writer?”

Sojung’s small smile made SinB relax, she had been wondering if she was being too talkative for a first meeting.

“Actually, it’s more of a hobby. I couldn’t figure out what else to study.”

“Wow, are you paying your own tuition?”

Sojung chuckled, making SinB smile confusedly.

“You sound like an interviewer, but yes I am. My parents were upset that I wasn’t studying something they chose, but writing is a hobby I enjoy so I figured it’ll be fun at least until I find out what I want to study. How about you?”

“Ah, sorry. I’m just nervous around new people I suppose. I’m a photography major, and well, since I asked you how you’re paying, I’m actually here on scholarship.”

“Oh wow.”

“Yeah, I won it at a photography contest in my hometown, my parents were also kind of against me doing this, you know how they are, ‘you won’t make any money like this!’ and the like.”

“I get you.”

The silence that followed wasn’t uncomfortable, but SinB wanted to make sure that they would be at least friends if not sisters like on the tv shows about roommates.

“Hey, you can call me SinB. It’s my nickname.”

Sojung raised an eyebrow, it was a unique nickname that SinB had gotten from when she was younger and had attended a girl scout class with another Eunbi.

“Then, you can use unnie, to be fair.”

“Of course!”

See? SinB wasn’t a scary emo girl after all, she smiled brightly.

After eating dinner and returning to dorm, Sowon had gone off to finish setting up her stuff as SinB just went to her nearly empty room.

“Maybe I should grab a part time job to fill this place.”

She stared up at the ceiling when she heard the front door’s locks getting turned. Curious, she peeked out of her doorway.

“Where’re you going?”

Sojung turned around surprised, she might have jumped a little. SinB gave an apologetic smile.

“A-ah, I left something at home, so I’ll be going to get it.”

“Is it that important? It’s pretty late already.”

“Thanks for you concern, but uh, it’s my laptop charger.”

“Oof, that’s pretty important, go ahead and go. If you remember later, put your schedule on the back of the door when you have the time to!”

“Promise!”

SinB went to go lock the door behind Sowon, retreating to her room.

“Hm, couldn’t I have offered my own charger? Ah, well we might not use the same one.”

She sighed and lay down on her bed again. If only clubs didn’t start on week two, she had been looking forwards to classes and club activities the most. Even if all the reviews of this university seemed pretty strict and all, it was worth the work. The digital clock on her nightstand read 11:30pm.

“I hope Sojung unnie is fine going out this late.”

Then something curious entered her thoughts.

“How is she getting home? Car? Bus? Do they run this late I wonder?”

Thinking on that topic, SinB pulled out her laptop to search how to get to the nearest malls from campus, checking the campus shuttles and bus stops until late.

“You’re a little late.”

“Sorry, I was a little preoccupied.”

Sowon bowed as she apologized to the producers before hurrying to the changing room where several aids handed her the first outfit. Today’s concept was a sporty look, putting Sowon into sweatpants, sneakers, and a sports crop top. She shivered a bit as the air conditioner blew over her stomach.

“How long do you think this will take?”

“Not long, why?”

Sowon bit her nail, curfew was 2am. The time now was midnight, if she could finish in an hour and a half, she could catch a taxi and make it back in time. A brief concern for her roommate, now called SinB, crossed her mind. Hopefully she wouldn’t stay up to wait for her. She shook her head.

“What idiot would wait on a person they met for the first time that day? Don’t worry too much about your surroundings.”

Sowon patted her cheeks to focus.

“They don’t matter anyways; you’re doing what you want.”

“Places!”

She hurried on set.

When she made it back to her dorm, the time was 5am. After running into the guard that was doing night patrol and explaining that she had an emergency to which he failed to believe her but still let it slide and let her in because it was move in day. She silently made a note to strictly heed the curfew. Sojung sighed as she entered the dorm, her charger in hand. Flipping the light switch for the living room, she blinked as her eyes adjusted to the lighting.

Taking off her shoes and putting it on her shelf, she trudged slowly to her room when she heard a yawn. Turning around she found SinB had fallen asleep on the couch and had been awoken by her reentrance.

“Oh, sorry for waking you.”

“Hm? What time is it?”

SinB rubbed her eyes as she looked around. Finding the digital clock on the table in the kitchen, she rubbed her neck and groaned a little.

“Wow, it’s already 5am. Did you miss the last bus back or something?”

Sojung gave a nervous smile, SinB subconsciously winced, did she come off as demanding? Was she scaring Sojung? Pressuring her to answer her?

“You don’t actu-“

“Yes, I missed the last bus. What were you doing?”

SinB’s small smile returned, one eye closed with sleepiness.

“I was just checking what modes of transportation there was for getting to and from campus, maybe to go see what could make our dorm a little more homely.”

“That’s a good idea.”

They stared at each other in silence, not quite sure what to say to each other, SinB dazed from her sleepiness and Sojung a little out of it from pure exhaustion.

“Ah! We should go to sleep. Unnie, I put my stuff in the bathroom already I hope you don’t mind that I took the bottom shelf, I just figured since you were taller or something like that.”

Sojung smiled softly as SinB cut off in a yawn.

“Don’t worry about it, go on and sleep. I’ll just clean up and sleep as well.”

“Alright, good night unnie.”

“Good night.”

Sojung watched as SinB tottered into her room, making sure she didn’t walk into the doorway frame or anything. Looking over at the clock, she sighed again. Never schedule a midnight job again, at least, not until school break, or even only on the weekends if necessary.

Entering her own room, Sojung grabbed her bathroom things and trudged her way to their shared bathroom. In there, she found that SinB had left her a sticky note about her stuff, stating that if she hadn’t explained the bathroom to her before they saw each other again. Sojung looked around, finding SinB’s towel on the lower rung and a dog paw patterned white mug with her toothbrush in it.

Sliding her own mug next to it, Sojung smiled.

“Home.”

It seems, it would be a home different than those she had ever experienced. Hopefully, SinB wouldn't mind her frequent absence.