ch 12

I Think my Roommate is a Model

Sowon sighed, today was the day of the student cheer up festival and on top of giving signatures at that energy drink stand, she also was tasked to be an MC for the main stage for a segment. Talk about exposure, the whole university was probably going to figure her out!

“No, I don’t talk or dress the way I do, and if anything goes downhill, I’ll just have to demand the star treatment and move out of the dorms and take all online classes.”

“Sowon, are you ready?”

Looking at herself in the mirror one last time, she frowned, smiled, then stood up and walked away. There was nothing she could do but act as opposite to her usual personality was to throw people off. First, the stage.

“Introducing our star MC today, Sowon ssi!!!”

“Hello everyone! How are you all doing today?”

Sowon winced very slightly at the sound of the crowd’s screams, unnoticeable under her poker face. She had to do a small interview with the mc before her, then go and introduce the next artist on stage. The one she was introducing was a student who wanted to sing for the students, kind of a we’re all in this together kind of effort.

“Well, then, I’ll introduce our next singer! One of you guys decided that cheering up would be more meaningful if it came from someone who was sharing your concerns, introducing Choi Yuna!”

Sowon quickly scuttled off stage, grabbing a bottle of water to sooth her drying throat. As she sipped, she saw the monitor that showed the girl she introduced on stage. She carried a guitar and brought her own chair to sit down on. When she looked up, Sowon had trouble not spitting out her water, Choi Yuna was the Yuna sunbae? Given, she didn’t know Yuna sunbae’s last name, but Yuna wasn’t that uncommon of a name so that was definitely Yuna sunbae.

“The Gods must hate me or something.”

“Hm? Sowon ssi did you say something?”

“Ah, no it’s nothing. Do you have ice water?”

“Of course! I’ll go get you one.”

“Thanks.”

Sowon sighed and sat down on the plastic chairs they set out. How tiring.

“Look! Yuna unnie is on stage right now! Let’s hurry!”

SinB smiled and let Yewon drag her by the arm, she hadn’t know that Yuju was about to play the guitar, but she did know that she had a heavenly voice. Hearing the first strum, she almost wanted to close her eyes to listen to her first words.

“You’re working hard~”

How soothing, but some students sighed and started to play with their phones, being the easily bored young adults they were. It irked SinB that people would ignore Yuju’s self-composed cheer up song, especially when the lyrics meant so much to them. Unfortunately, all of them were very far and deep into kpop, which was why they bothered to stay, and SinB was thankful that they did, because at least, by osmosis, Yuju’s words would reach them.

Having enjoyed Yuju’s beautiful voice so much, she hadn’t realized it was already over until the MC appeared on stage.

“That was beautiful Choi Yuna student! Did you compose it yourself?”

“Y-yes I did.”

“Brilliant! You’re a genius! I know you’ll do great in school, especially since you cared so much for your classmates to even write them a song.”

“W-well, Sowon ssi is also great, for coming here today.”

“Oho! Are you a fan?”

“I am! Though I do have to admit my roommate is a bigger fan than I, I’m sure she’s looking up here right now.”

SinB held her breath as Sowon looked out at the crowd, a bright smile on her face as Yuju called out to Yewon. It struck her again, that Sowon wasn’t truly smiling, or at least, not as excited as she should have been. It wasn’t fake at all, or it didn’t seem that way, maybe Sowon was tired and SinB could understand that. But there was just this nagging feeling that something wasn’t right, whether it was that she wasn’t thinking about the right thing, or maybe it was that Sowon and Sojung had the same height.

“The same height?”

SinB quickly searched up Sowon’s height on her phone, revealing that she was practically 173 cm tall. SinB looked at Yewon and compared their heights, if she was around 3 cm taller than Yewon, then 5cm taller than herself was…Sojung’s height.

“But there are many people that could have the same height.”

“What are you mumbling about to yourself?”

“Ah, Yewon ah, do you think Sojung is 173 cm tall?”

“Hm? Yeah, why?”

Yewon watched, slightly amused at SinB’s confusion. She had already figured out Sojung’s identity since the last time they talked, and the way Sojung avoided chatting her about modeling, although very subtly about it, there was no doubt as an avid fan of the star couldn’t identify her. Still, she kept polite about it, as she knew that Sojung just wanted a normal university life. Especially since she didn’t announce it officially. Since it was a secret, Yewon had no intention to tell SinB, and well, SinB didn’t show the desire to find out anyways.

“Nothing, I was just surprised I would be able to see such tall people around.”

“Hey, Yuna unnie is tall too.”

“True, I guess it’s not too uncommon, I’m just overthinking things.”

Like her face shape. Sojung hid her cheek bones with her huge glasses, but her jaw? SinB shook her head, wanting to stop thinking about this dilemma of hers. It wasn’t life threatening and it didn’t hurt to not know, asking would be rude and well, it didn’t matter to her, right? She shook her head and followed after Yewon who went to fetch Yuju from backstage. They planned on going around the booths and collecting free stuff before heading back to plan for their Halloween party.

“Yuna unnie!”

“Hey!”

“You didn’t have to tell her that I loved her works, now I’m all embarrassed about it!”

Yuju just smiled and hugged Yewon warmly.

“I’m sure hearing about being loved would always make anyone feel happy, so I don’t think I did anything wrong.”

“You didn’t except for making me stand out!”

Sowon held her breath as the boy before her talked about her last shoot that was published in a magazine, he was saying similar things to practically every boy that had walked up to her stand this night, how she was beautiful and how they wished they could get a girlfriend as pretty as she, how they bought every issue of magazines that showed her. Finally, he moved on and she waved goodbye. It wasn’t bad, feeling her fame up close and personal, but when they repeated the same things again and again, it made her feel like she had nothing else.

“Hi, can I get your name?”

“It’s Kim Yewon.”

Sowon looked up and felt her heart nearly stop. Yewon smiled brightly and held out her post card that they had handed out when counting people in line.

“A-ah, yes. H-how are you enjoying tonight?”

Stupid! Why the stutter?! Breathe, she won’t find out.

“It was great! I loved your MC skills on stage, I loved that you appreciated Yuna unnie’s song.”

“Well, it was beautiful, I couldn’t help it.”

Sowon smiled at Yewon who seemed to blush. As expected of her fan, seeing an idol up close would get their hearts racing and nervous, wanting to say everything and anything to them, but knowing they had limited time.

“I-It seems like you could be tired, so I brought you a snack, if you don’t mind.”

Taken by surprise, Sowon looked at the cupcake presented before her. Sugar! It was sugar! She could replenish on energy without having to drink the multiple cases of energy drinks around her.

“I-I baked it this morning and I made it with nutritious fruits and berries inside it.”

“Thank you so much, I’ll enjoy it later.”

Her manager was about to grab the cupcake, but Sowon professionally slapped his hand away as she sent Yewon off.

“Hi! Your name please.”

“Um, just SinB.”

Sowon closed her eyes, looking down at the post card before her. Right, Yewon and SinB were going around the festival together, of course they’d be one after the other.

“Sorry, do you mean the character for mysterious? It’s a unique name, I like it.”

“Y-yea, that SinB. U-um, I was just wondering Sowon ssi, if you had any siblings?”

“Hm? I think I answered that on stage earlier, I have an older sister. She went to university when I was in middle school, so I understand how you students miss home.”

“Thank you!”

Sowon blinked as SinB dashed off after receiving her card. Was she not feeling great? Wait, more importantly, did she notice? She asked whether she had a sibling? That meant that SinB could see the similarity! Calming herself down, she smiled at the next person in line. No time to think about it now, work.

“I swear they’re so similar.”

“Who?”

SinB jumped, having been walking around looking down at the autographed card in her hands rather than in front of her. Yewon gave her a mischievous smile.

“Did you finally see the ways of the queen of modeling?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, do you see why I admire her so much now?”

“Oh, of course! She had the aura; she had the smile. Everything about her was so professional compared to when I was working with you guys.”

“Hey, we’re just amateurs, don’t be so hard on us.”

SinB just chuckled and shook her head.

“Amateurs need more criticism to learn faster.”

“Constructive ones at least.”

“Agreed.”

Having returned to their dorm’s common room to plan for their Halloween party, which Sojung had promised to attend and promised to watch the horror movie with the seat next to her reserved for SinB, Yewon brought out a drawing that had the depictions of a plan.

“We’ll decorate our dorm with all the spooky stuff we can find at the nearest store, Yuju unnie has the movie on subscription so that part was taken care of. SinB ah, you can order the food or make it, it’s your choice.”

“I’ll get Sojung unnie to help me, she seems like a good cook.”

This was just a hunch, since Sojung was home often when SinB returned from her lunch that came immediately after her class. Sometimes she’d catch Sojung eating a homemade lunch of sandwiches or sometimes a bowl of rice and a small Tupperware of side dishes that she kept in the fridge. She hadn’t gotten Sojung to cook for her yet, but recently, Sojung had seemed to be extra busy with her part time job that SinB still didn’t know. Drawn out of her thoughts when Yewon accidentally dropped her book on the floor, SinB quickly leaned over to get it, only to find Sojung on the cover of the magazine.

“Huh?”

“Ah, I brought that because I thought it’d be good reference material for you. Professional photography, right?”

SinB nodded, completely engrossed in staring at Sowon on the cover, Yewon held back a giggle at how oblivious SinB seemed. If only she could see Sojung’s reaction when SinB returned to dorm carrying that magazine. Although she did feel a little bad for exposing Sojung just a little, Yewon did feel like SinB deserved to know, so that she wouldn’t cause too much trouble. And maybe, Sojung could become closer to SinB, after all, she had been distancing herself as of late, not that SinB had noticed it.

=======================

almost there