ch 4

I Think my Roommate is a Model

As it turned out, Yewon was in her other general education class, meeting up again. This time, it was maths, to which Yewon seemed to greatly enjoy the class, her smile was happier than any other student she had seen all day, bar special individuals such as her RA. Jung Yerin had her own scale of happiness.

SinB hummed a little as she waited for her last class of the day end, leaving her with three classes on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays with two classes on the other two days, supposedly for free study, homework or part time work.

Counting the seconds to the bell, SinB’s eyes were glued to the clock on the wall rather than on her teacher, who then handed out a sheet of paper indicating what homework they had for the next few days.

Once the bell had rung, SinB bolted out, stretching her legs in the progress, it was too bad that first days were always boring to attend. In the end, SinB only got what homework she had to do, and the class syllabus printed on a blue sheet of paper. Trudging back to dorm, she was looking forwards to having dinner with Sojung, hopefully they could exchange stories about what they had done this day.

Unlocking her dorm door with ease, SinB looked up to see Sojung with a packed bag on her back, looking as if she was ready to go out.

“Hey, Sojung unnie, where’re you going?”

Sojung jumped a little, she couldn’t seem to get used to hearing SinB’s voice coming out of the blue.

“Oh, hey SinB. I uh got a part time job.”

“Oh.”

This surprised SinB, since Sojung had told her she was paying her own way through college, SinB had already started to think very respectfully of Sojung. Given, she also needed to get a job when her scholarship money ran out, and it was never too early to start earning back money. Of course, part time jobs were not in abundance, so the time in which Sojung was going out was rather odd, but SinB wasn’t rude enough to bother Sojung any more than she needed to.

“Good luck!”

“Thank you.”

With that, Sojung’s alarm had rung and she headed out, telling SinB to eat dinner by herself as SinB stood by the doorway, ready to lock the door behind Sojung. Sojung seemed to hesitate at the door but didn’t say whatever was on her mind.

“I’ll be late, um…rest well.”

“Haha, unnie seems timid, but you just aren’t good at expressing yourself, aren’t you? Don’t worry about me, eating alone isn’t something new to me anyways. Do a good job at work okay?”

Sojung nodded and stepped out, SinB held the door open until Sojung entered the elevator. Sighing as she went back inside, SinB looked back into her empty dorm.

“Well, unnie seems to have her life in order, get a grip on yourself Hwang Eunbi.”

Sowon got into her manager’s car, brushing back her bangs with an annoyed air around her, she had to wait five minutes more for him to come retrieve her for work.

“I told you not to be late.”

He grumbled something that Sowon couldn’t catch but only made her angrier.

“I could have you replaced.”

“If you say so, the company is still mad at you for choosing to run away to college.”

“A higher education is a good choice, not a place to run away to, it’s not as if I’m asking them to pay for it.”

“You know the company only wants the best for you.”

“The best for their money.”

But it was fine, even with her disputes with her company, they still did give her everything she needed to become this popular. And, she really loved modeling. It made her feel like she was beautiful, it made her feel special. Which, for a person who never knew what to do with her life, finding something that made her feel like she stood out, was perfect.

“I won’t be late to anything they give me, but they have to promise to give me the schedules ahead of time.”

“I’ll tell them that.”

Sowon sighed and leaned back in her seat, relaxing her agitated expression, lowering her eyebrows again, leaving a face of peace.

“You have a magazine interview and a photoshoot for them.”

“Did you receive the questions?”

“No.”

She sighed again, being unprepared for the spontaneous questions was one of the few things she hated in her line of work. The feeling of being in control was something that Sowon loved dearly, but that wasn’t always available.

Opening her eyes to better prepare herself, she drew the curtain in the aisle and behind her manager’s seat, changing into some more fashionable clothes. Not that she didn’t like her baggy sweater and almost too loose on her waist sweatpants with her round glasses with no prescription lens, but she needed to look professional in her line of work, not comfortable, but perfect. And she didn’t mind being seen as perfect.

SinB sat in the living room, she hadn’t gotten much homework yet, aside from gathering materials for class such as textbooks and the like. They were extremely expensive, so she had to rent the tattered copies instead. She had been thinking about getting a job, their school did offer jobs with rather specific roles, perhaps she could post her resume on the list of needing work students list and see who would accept her.

Her phone chimed as a message came in. The screen showed that it was the girl she had met earlier in the day, Kim Yewon.

When she didn’t reply, Yewon called her, SinB stared at her screen, wondering why she was feeling so low, maybe it was a mood swing. Shaking it off, she picked up, trying her best to sound cheerful.

“Hey! What’s up Yewon?”

“Hey, I was just wondering if you wanted to maybe eat dinner together?”

“Oh, sure.”

“Were you planning on eating with someone else?”

“No, I wasn’t. I was just being lonely in my apartment haha, thanks Yewon ah.”

SinB was already getting ready as she chatted, making it out of her dorm door and fumbling with her keys single handedly before she got interrupted.

“Hwang Eunbi!”

SinB paused, wondering who knew her real name. Turning around, she smiled. Yerin was still in the same sundress, as yellow and mellow as ever.

“Hey Yerin unnie, I’m heading out to dinner with a new friend. You want to join?”

Yerin nodded as SinB finished locking her place up, answering Yewon on the phone.

“Yeah, my RA, you don’t mind, do you?”

“That’s totally fine! Ah, but then let me bring my roommate, she’s just got back from her classes.”

“Sure. I’ll meet you at the entrance?”

“Perfect. See you in five.”

SinB chuckled as she ended the call, turning back to Yerin who was patiently waiting.

“Does unnie not have people to eat dinner with?”

Yerin hummed, walking ahead of SinB to press the elevator button. The way she was walking seemed to show that she probably was going to eat alone if not for SinB’s appearance. Which was quite odd, since SinB had assumed that everyone would like to be friends with such a bright girl.

“Well, it’s the matter of wanting to eat with people and not having people yeah?”

“Unnie seemed like she had a lot of friends.”

The soft sigh Yerin breathed made SinB feel as if Yerin wasn’t so far from her reach after all, she had a strong front, just like everyone else.

“Maybe I did. Who’s your friend by the way? Introduce me.”

“Ah, she’s this girl I met at lunch, she’s a freshmen like me, her name is Kim Yewon. An acting major.”

“She seems nice, since you’re smiling.”

SinB blushed just a little, unused to compliments. Yerin really was sort of a smooth talker sometimes.

“She’s also bringing a friend, they’re her roommate, but we haven’t talked about that stuff yet.”

As they neared the cafeteria, SinB caught sight of Yewon, talking with another rather tall girl. University was sure a diverse place, to have see meet with two extremely tall girls. Her thoughts randomly found their way back to Sojung, whom which she hadn’t been told of what type of part time job she had. Thinking more about it as Yerin tugged her along as she had seemed to stopped in her tracks to think, she was brought out of her thoughts when Yewon called her name.

“SinB!”

“Oh, hey Yewon ah, sorry I was lost in thoughts.”

Yerin nudged her in the side.

“Ah right, this is my RA, Yerin sunbaenim.”

“Hello, I’m Kim Yewon, this is my roommate Choi Yuna.”

Yerin blinked as the taller girl finally turned around.

“Oh! It’s such a small world Yuju!”

“Yerin unnie!”

The two embraced quickly, confusing the two freshmen. Had they met before? SinB looked to Yewon who just shrugged.

“I mean, she did call her a different name. A nickname maybe?”

“True.”

“Yuna unnie is a year older and I won the dorm lottery for roommates apparently.”

“There’s a dorm lottery?”

“Only when the sophomores had a double and wanted a roommate but there aren’t any sophomores who wanted to room with her, this is how seniors can become first year’s roommates, but that’s not necessarily a good thing.”

SinB shivered at the thought, living with a sunbae could be pretty dangerous. It was seldom broadcasted to the news to protect the university’s images, but sunbaes were like the elderly of society. They could tell you to do anything and you had to do it, it was a rather cruel and unhealthy system, but there was no way to get rid of them.

“I hope Yuna sunbae is a good person though?”

Yewon grinned.

“Of course! How about you? Who’s your roommate?”

“Ah, my roommate is older than me, but she’s also a freshmen because she started late. Her name is Kim Sojung.”

Yewon tapped her chin, wondering why the name had sounded so familiar.

“What’s wrong?”

“It’s just that I thought I heard that name before, but because I only pay attention to the modeling and acting industry, I suppose your unnie isn’t someone famous, is she?”

“No, I’m pretty certain she isn’t.”

Not with the way Sojung carried herself, not to mention her fashion sense. SinB shook her head, smiling as Yerin then introduced Yuna as the friend who still got lost on campus despite being a second year.

“So, she’s the one you mentioned before?”

“Yea! What a small world huh Yuju?”

“Unnie, you’re the only one who ever calls me that way. But yes, it’s a small world because it’s a small campus. I was expecting your bright smile somewhere soon anyways.”

“Aw you sweetie!”

SinB cringed as Yerin pressed a kiss to Yuna’s cheek, but the latter didn’t seem bothered by the excessive expression of affection. Yewon tugged on SinB’s sleeve.

“Is your Yerin unnie always this touchy?”

“I only knew her for two days, wouldn’t asking Yuna sunbae be easier?”

Yewon agreed as they walked into the cafeteria together.

“Chic but smile!”

Sowon shifted, raising just the corner of her lips.

“Perfect, now coy but no smile.”

Demanding. This wasn’t even a rather y concept, but this camera director kept telling her to make such expressions. It didn’t bother Sowon too much, advertising was always aimed at selling you the appeal of the opposite gender. When selling cars, you see a couple driving it together, the woman most likely some super-hot actress, selling the image of you possibly getting a girl with that car. She breathed a sigh inwardly as she shifted to a different pose.

“Break time. Good work Sowon-ssi.”

Sowon closed her eyes, standing still for a moment to rest her eyes from the flash of the cameras. They burned a lot when there were long shoots, just three hours in and she wanted to stop already. Feeling better, she walked over to the makeup station, getting eye drops as the makeup artists started to remove and change her style of makeup for the next shoot.

Her manager’s heavy footsteps identified themselves and Sowon called him without opening her eyes.

“Manager.”

“Yes, Sowon ssi.”

“Bring me a cold Americano.”

“Of course.”

The magazine reporters were going to come in half an hour to conduct the interview. Glancing at the clock on her phone, Sowon sighed. She had three more hours until curfew, hopefully she wouldn’t get in trouble two times in a row. Why did their dorm have security guards like olden days anyways? And even if they had security guards, why were parties unregulated? They could just bust in a stop these crazy drinking parties as long as they knew about it couldn’t they?

Taking a deep breath, she stood up and returned to her post in the middle of the photo area. Her manager slowly trudging back in with a can of Americano. She’d have to drink it later.

==========

ah yes, slow development warnings