Chapter 02

Twenty

Sitting at the lecture theatre, still in shock of what had happened this morning.

“Hey, Hyo Kyung” I felt a tap on my shoulder, snapping me back to reality.

I turned my head and see the one thing I hope to see in my class this semester, Lee Jae Hyuk. “We’re in the same class again!” he grinned.

“Hi!” I said a bit too excitedly and waved my hand. Then he walked past me to sit with his friends that are already sitting in front.

“Oohh I saw that blush” teases Park Bo Ram, my closest friend, which is also my classmate. Thank God for that. For an introverted person, being in the same class as your friend really makes life a lot better. Like a lot.

“I still don’t get why you like him though. He’s not that handsome,” she said

“He’s really nice, okay. He helped me with my assignments last semester.” I defended.

Bo Ram rolled her eyes, “Yeah, right. He probably helped other girls as well”

“Yes because he is nice.” I reasoned.

Bo Ram sighed in defeat and suddenly scooted closer and said into my ear, “2 days ago I saw Yu Ra with a new guy. Catch of the week I guess.”

“Why am I not surprised”, I laughed sarcastically.

“By the way, she’s been staring at your exchange with Jae Hyuk.” And I just shrugged at Bo Ram’s remark.

The clock is ticking so slowly during the lecture and I would steal glances towards Jae Hyuk secretly. I met him at the Art club that I joined last semester, he was my senior and was our orientation leader. We become acquainted after realizing that we are in the same class and we got closer after he helped me with my assignments. We started texting and getting to know each other, and all that progresses into me developing the biggest crush on him. 

Class ended after what feels like eternity. Bo Ram and I decided to head to our usual coffee shop opposite our college to catch up on what we did during the semester break. It’s funny how fast time passes by when you’re enjoying yourself.

As I was excitedly telling Bo Ram what happened during break, riotous noise coming from the entrance can be heard. I turned my head to the sound in response and my eyes widened when I saw Bobby and a bunch of his “intimidating” friends coming in. I turned around and frowned, just when I thought I will never need to see him again. Bo Ram notices my expression and asked, “Why? What happen?”

I heard the shuffling of feet behind me, assuming that they are sitting down a good distance away from our table. Taking a deep breath, I started explaining to her about my past with Bobby and our encounter this morning.

 

Well that . At least he said hi.” My friend pointed out.

Before I could say anything, I was interrupted by the voice calling me. “Oh! Hyo Kyung, you’re here too!” Bobby beamed, walking towards my table.

“Hey.” I forced a smile, pretending that I never saw him entering the coffee shop.

Bobby stood by my table and an awkward silence settles. He glanced towards Bo Ram’s direction, as if signaling me to introduce him to her.  “Oh. This is my friend Park Bo Ram. And Bo Ram, this is Bobby”, I gestured.  He said hi to Bo Ram before going back to his table.

“New girl?” I heard his friends ask, rather loudly. I rolled my eyes in annoyance – player

“Say that again, I’ll punch your mouth” He replied, irritated. “She’s my childhood friend”

“That’s her?” I overheard. His friends knew me? Did he talk about me in the past? So I guess he did not forget me. With that in mind, I could feel my resentment towards him eases.

“Looks like he’s visiting his friend” Bo Ram nodded towards the new barista.

I turned towards where she nodded to, to see a new face who have big doe eyes with double eyelids and tall, pointy nose. And I saw the nametag his wearing, 'Chanwoo" it said. I’ve never seen him serve before.

It was already late and we decided to head home. As we were exiting, I glanced towards Bobby and was startled to see him staring back at me. He mouthed, “Going home?” I just nodded and waved to him. Bo Ram and I said our goodbyes and went our separate ways. Suddenly, I felt a hand grabbed my arm and I turned my head abruptly.

“Let me send you home.” He said. “Like old times.”