Chapter 12

Twenty

I was walking to the canteen with Bo Ra and filling her up with all that happened – the painting incident and my upcoming date with Jae Hyuk.

“I didn’t think that she would stoop that low.” she sighed, “But I’m not surprised, she has been acting suspicious.”

I shrugged. In all honesty, I was not able to give the date much thought amidst all these mess. Although, I was puzzled by the fact that he has not contact me ever since I agreed to meet him. However, I could not bring myself to text him first because I was afraid of coming on as too forward. Maybe he’s busy, I convince myself.

We sat at our usual table, eating our meal when I heard a voice shouting. Minding my own business, I took a bite of my sandwich. The voice got louder and it was then I realize it’s familiar. I turned, hoping it’s not who I think it is. My eyes widened in shock, remembering what he said “I won’t let her get away with this, I promise”. 

“Oh God” I muttered under my breath before getting up to stop the commotion.

I yanked Bobby’s wrist and he turned around. I was stunned to see how cold and hard his eyes were. “Stop.” I tried to pull him away but he wouldn’t budge. “Let’s just go.” I urged.

He ignored me and turned to Yu Ra again, “Apologize” The canteen got quiet and I start to feel uncomfortable at the unwanted attention we were getting. She kept quiet. “I said apologize!” He yelled louder. Yu Ra flinched but stayed quiet so Bobby continued, “I would expose you right now in front of all these people. Then everyone will know how fake you really are.” He threatened.

“S-s-sorry….” She finally let out an intimidated voice.

This time, I pulled Bobby. “I think that’s enough” I muttered, feeling uneasy with the stares from our surroundings. “Please” I begged, tugging at his wrist again. Giving in, he let me drag him out of the canteen before giving her the final warning, “don’t you dare mess with her.”

 

After dragging him all the way out of the canteen, I just buried my face in my hands and sighed, loss for words. “You should let me expose her, she deserved that” he huffed.

I sighed again, “I know okay. I know,” I stopped, and said something that’s been on my mind “but- I don’t know. Maybe she’s insecure deep inside and venting it out on me. I mean there’s got to be a reason for it right?”

“See. You’re always trying to make an excuse for what someone did, even though they did something wrong. And even if there’s a reason, that doesn’t mean it’s okay for her to do that.”

I sighed again, knowing what he said is right. “That’s true. But I need to handle this problem myself.”

“I told you, didn’t I? You don’t need to rely on yourself all the time. You have me. You can rely on me.” he said with slight frustration.

“But this time I want to.”

This time is his turn to sigh in defeat, “You’re just too nice. Do you know that?” and I shrugged at that.

“And you’re a lot stronger than you think”, he murmured to himself and looked at me with warm eyes.

“What did you say?”

“Nope. Nothing”

I was silent for a while, deep in my thought. This is the first time someone gets so angry for me. I was engulfed by the warmness and sincerity of his action. I felt important, like I am a priority, a feeling I never acquainted with.

“Hey. But thank you. Really”

He looked down and scratched his head, “W-what?” he laughed awkwardly, “That’s what friends are for, right?” I watched as he starts to get flustered, his ears turning red. “If you’re grateful then.” He said, still avoiding my gaze.

I chuckled, “Sure, sure.”

“So when are you going on the date with that guy?”, he asked while lightly glancing at me.

I sighed for the hundredth time that day, “Actually I don’t know if the date with Jae Hyuk is going to happen.”

His ears perked up, “why?”

“He haven’t contact me about the date since we came back.” I said with a hint of disappointment.

He seemed to notice it and try to lighten the mood by head-locking me between his arms. “Good then! Just go on a date with me!” he said with his signature smile, eyes turning into crescent moon and bunny teeth showing.

I struggled to get out of his arms “Ow! Heyy!” while hitting his arms.