Chapter 24

Twenty

I slept soundly that night, the first time in weeks. I felt like a heavy load had just been lifted of my chest. It must be because i was relieved. Relieved that I’m already talking with Bobby. And relieved that he’s here with me.

After falling asleep for don’t-know-how-many hours, I stirred and gain consciousness. The room is still dim, signaling the middle of the night. I can see something from the corner of my eyes. Bobby is laying his head on my bed. Why is he not sleeping in the sofa? His neck is going to be stiff in the morning.

Sudden urge to touch his face filled my being. And my hand moved slowly towards his face. Inches before reaching his face, my hands stopped momentarily, hesitating, before starting to move again, even slower. My hands landed gently on his cheeks and I moved stray hair touching his closed eye.

Without any warning, his eyes flung open and grabbed my hand. My heart stopped before it started to race until all I could hear was my own heart thumping and I hope he couldn’t hear.

He started with a low voice, “i missed you. You-” he paused, hesitating, “you were on my mind all this time”  Shocked by his sudden confession and too busy controlling my heart, I was at loss for words.

As i kept quiet, he continued still hesitant, “But… I don’t think I’m in your mind”, eyes blinking slowly.

Suppressing my uncontrollable heartbeat, i answered him with trembling voice “You are”. His eyes still blinking slowly, holding my gaze.

“Please look at me” he said. Confused at what he’s implying, i was busy thinking of what to reply before he continued, as if his previous words are not surprising enough, “Can you please love me?”

My heart thumped even louder against my chest, I was shocked at what he said. I was as still as a statue, staring dumbfoundedly at him. We stared at each other for a good 5 seconds before he stood up, his hands reaching towards my head and ruffled it while he chuckled softly, while I didn’t move an inch. He said while ruffling my head, “Sleep, it’s still midnight. Goodnight” and he lay down in the sofa.

His words echoed in my head. What does he mean by that? Is he sleep talking? Does he…? I shook my head. No,no. It’s impossible if he like me.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The next morning, i wake up to an empty room. There’s no sign of Bobby and I let out a relieved sigh. I was looking at the window beside my bed, where I can see the view outside. The weather is nice today. The sky is blue with just enough clouds so that it’s not too sunny. I can see people entering and leaving the building, some with tired expression, some are in a hurry, some are happy with their families who looked like they’re just being discharged. I’m excited to go home today, even though it’s only been one night away from my shared place with Kei. when i was busy in my thoughts, the door to my room opened and Bobby entered the room saying “Hey, morning”

“Morning” I replied trying to avoid eye contact, still awkward from what happened at night. But Bobby seemed to not care at all. He acted normally, like yesterday didn’t happen at all. Disappointment filled me and I can’t help but wonder if he really is just sleep talking.

At midday I was discharged. The doctor said that I will need to use crutches for a week to use less pressure on my casted leg. I was not looking forward to use crutches, but at least I can go home.

I was really excited to go home and when i reached my place, my parents were there. Their expression worried before running to me and hugged me tightly.

“We’re sorry that we can’t visit you yesterday since we had a business trip” they apologize, guilt obvious on their faces.

“Hey it’s okay! Bobby is there with me” I said and pointed towards Bobby. He bowed towards my parents and my mom hugged him, “Oh! You’re such a nice kid. Thank you” and he gave them a childish, and slightly proud, smile. And I can’t help but smile at the scene, before Kei’s head popped from the door and i waved my hands at her. And then we ended up eating mom’s cooked food, which I had missed, for lunch together.

As the day become darker, my parents went home. I said goodbye to them as i recall the conversation during lunch.

“What time are you going back mom?” I asked, looking at my parents.

“I’m planning to stay here and take care of you.”

“I thought your company is busy this time of the year?”

“Well, it is actually.”

“Then you should go back. Don’t worry about me. It will heal soon” i gave her a smile, pointing towards my casted leg with my chopstick.

She kept quiet, her expression filled with worry and guilt. I looked to my dad for help and he seemed to notice my signal.

“Hey, mom?” i gained her attention, “Don’t worry about me. I’m really fine and i’m grown up now. I can take care of this. I can send you pictures if you’re worried. But, i really am fine. And I have Kei and Bobby here. They can take care of me. So you should go to work okay?”

My dad take my mom’s hands and gave her a nod.

 

I pulled back to reality when I heard faint whispering. I looked towards the source of the whispering that turned into a restrained yelling at the minute, as if they are trying to prevent me from hearing their argument.

“What are you guys talking about?” I asked innocently.

“It’s noth-” before Kei finished her sentence, Bobby interrupted her, “I’m gonna stay here for a few days.’’

Hearing what Bobby said, Kei facepalmed and a small ‘ugh’ escaped from her lips.

And my eyes widened like a deer in a headlight.