Chapter 16

Twenty

I take small timid steps once I’m at his place. Why did I agree to come? He lead me to his bedroom and I take a peek before entering, still feeling cautious and uncomfortable to dominate his space. He chuckled when he saw how uncomfortable I was, “what are you doing? Come in”. Before entering his room, I saw another door across the hallway, is someone staying here with him?

I stand awkwardly near the door when something was thrown at me. “Go change. It’s my shirt. You wear that for the whole day right.” He point at the committee clothes from the exhibition today. This time I don’t argue and change into his shirt that is oversized on me. I can smell his scent just by wearing it and it somehow calms me down, reminding me of when he always comforts me. When I finished changing, he had sat down on top of a blanket that is laid out on the floor, leaning his back on the side of the bed. He then pats the space next to him, signaling me to sit down. I make sure there was a space between us but he seemed to notice this, and he puts his arms around my shoulder and pulls me closer, swallowing the gap that is now non-existent. My eyes widen at his sudden touch, and when I turned to look at him, his face holding back laughter. I blushed madly and slap his arms away from my shoulder. He let out his laugh “I won’t do anything weird. Don’t worry,” and then he moved his face closer to mine, inches away “I promise you that.”

 

We started watching the new “Christopher Robin” movie. Snacks were opened, only the dialogue from the movie and the crunching sound can be heard. He was so engrossed in the movie when I take a glance at him, showing his ever-so-strong love for Winnie-the-pooh and I smiled at that. I turned back to the TV when my eyes noticed the Winnie-the-pooh plushie that I won from the carnival, displayed on the table. That day felt so long ago and I realized a lot can happen in six months. I never expected this to happen. Being able to be close friends with Bobby again and having someone that I can lean on. At that moment, I felt sudden warmness filled my heart.

Just when the movie ends, he asked me, “are you okay now?” breaking me out of my thoughts.

“I’m feeling better than I thought I would be. I mean, I still feel stupid though. I feel like somehow I know that it’s not going to work out. But I still tried to convince myself that maybe he is interested in me.” I let out a bitter laugh.

“I knew he wasn’t worth any of your time. And you are NOT worthless okay.” He pointed out at what i had said earlier. He then added, looking away, as if hiding his face, “There are a lot of other guys that’s nicer. And can take care of you better you know. I’m sure some guys out there are interested in you. Even one of my friends actually asked about you. ”

“Is there?” I mumbled to myself.

“There is!” he answered a little bit too fast and I stared at him, wondering why he is so frustrated.

He sighed, before changing the subject “Well then…. . what should we do next? Want to play games? Like old times?” he give me a mischievous smile, returning to the ‘usual Bobby’.

“Like old times it is then” I returned his mischievous smile.

We were playing Mario Kart for a few rounds. Of course he wins most of the time because of his dedication to games, but I did win a few times. At least my game skill is not that rusted.

I was getting tired and I said “Hey can you play one of your games. I want to watch you play. I’m getting tired”

“Yeah sure. You really liked to watch me play huh” he chuckled and pats his bed, “you can lie down here” I didn’t argue and lied in his bed when he start to play his game.

“On the right! Left, Left!” I said excitingly, like a supporter of sports team.

I used to watch him play his games when we were younger. I find it relaxing and fun at the same time. As time passes, I felt my eyelid getting heavier and heavier. And without me realizing, I fell into a deep slumber from all the exhaustion today had brought me.

 

The light from the window woke me up. My eyes flutter open and I take in my surroundings, to realize that I’m not in my room and this is not my bed. I continued to look around to find someone sleeping on the floor. Oh my God. I stayed for the night. I grabbed my phone and step out of the bed in panic and gather my things carelessly before dropping my phone. The thud stirred Bobby in his sleep and he slowly sit up, rubbing his eyes, to check where the sound come from. The blanket that once covered him, reveal his shirtless torso. I froze in my spot, and he asked in his raspy morning voice “what are you doing?”

I could feel my face heating up, “I’m going home.”

“What? It’s still 8.30 in the morning. At least eat breakfast first”, he get up and walked towards me, eyes still half opened.

I take a step back, flustered at his shirtless body “h-hey. At least wear something.”

He smiled teasing me, “Why? Don’t be shy”.

“Just put on something!” then I turned towards the door and open it, trying to find an escape from this awkward situation.

I opened the door just in time when the door opposite of Bobby’s room opened, revealing Kei and Hanbin behind her. I stared at her in shock, her expression mirroring mine.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!” her voice raises in shock and her eyes moves towards the sight behind me, Bobby in the midst of putting on his clothes.