Chapter 08

Twenty

He was standing up from where we sat, “I should get going now. We meet at the train station tomorrow at 7?”

“Okay. Text me when you get back”

He nodded. Just when he started walking away, I stopped him, “wait!” running to where he is. Reaching him, I fumbled my bag in a hurry. Then I found my lollipop and handed it to him. “Here! For you”

He smiled and we waved our goodbye.

I arrived home and packed a few clothes for tomorrow’s going-back-home trip while worrying about him. Is he going to be okay? Is he crying again now? I checked my phone to see no new message.

From: Hyo Kyung

To: Bobby

Are you home?

 

My phone buzzed faster than expected

From: Bobby

To: Hyo Kyung

Yeap. Just arrived.

Seeing his reply, makes my heart more at ease. Then my phone buzzed again and I saw the message saying “Why lollipop though?” and I replied “Because.”

With that, I focused on finishing my packing and prepare myself to go to bed. I checked my phone the last time before sleeping, to see 1 new message saying “Goodnight. Get some rest okay. We need to wake up early tomorrow.”

 

The next morning, I was the one to arrive at the train station before him; I waited for a few minutes until someone tapped my shoulder. I turned my head to see Bobby, with his tired eyes and grey under eyes, the lollipop I gave him yesterday.

When our eyes met, he gave me his signature eyesmile. Even in the middle of all this he managed to smile. I softened. 

We proceed to buy the train tickets and get inside the train.

Once the train departed, I said to him “You should get some sleep”. He still leaning his head against the seat, looking at me tiredly “How about you?” I replied, while nudging him “you should look at yourself in the mirror. Don’t worry about me. I can listen to songs”

He suddenly put his head on my shoulders, eyes closing. My heart stopped and started pounding like it has no end. “It’s okay if I do this right?” he asked, voice low and tired.

“i-isn’t it a bit too late for you to ask that” I blushed, thankful that he’s closing his eyes. “J-Just sleep” I stuttered.

He is sleeping so peacefully on the way. I take this chance to tell Bo Ram that I’m not going to class for a few days, and tell my roommate that I’m going back to my parents’ place for a few days. I tell the both of them to tell everything once I’m back from this trip.

 

Half an hour before we arrived, Bobby shifted in his sleep then lifted his head from my shoulder, the warmness suddenly gone. He stared at the view outside the train window and I follow suit. It is calming, but we know it will be gone soon. And the hard part is getting closer.

I break the silence “are you ready?” he just silently nodded.

I take out my fist towards him, signaling for a fist bump. I want him to know that I’m there for him. He stared at it for a while before understanding. He takes out his own fist and did a fist bump. 

 

Upon arriving, he takes me to my parents place. He wanted to greet my parents since it has been so long. When the door to my house opens, I greeted my mom and trying to re-introduce him, in case they have forgotten. “Mom, this is-”

“Oh my God! Is that you Bobby? You’ve grown so much! How are you? Come on, come on in!”

“Hi auntie. I’ve been good! How are you? Actually, I need to get going soon. I’m sure you have heard of it, my grandma’s funeral.” He bowed at the sight of my mother.

“Yes. I’m so sorry for your loss. I’m going to visit tonight.”

He nodded and bowed before going. “Well then, I’ll be going now.” “Be careful okay” my mom said.

“See you” he mouthed.

 

Once the door is closed, my mom seemed to be more excited than me. And asked a lot of questions about how I met Bobby again. I told her everything and after that I prepare myself to go to the funeral along with my mom. We waited for my dad to come home from work, and we departed to the funeral place.

Before entering, I take a deep breath, preparing myself of the despair and grief lurking in the air of the building I soon will enter. I let out a shaky breath; I have to be strong for him.