Chapter 23

Twenty

I was in Bobby’s tight embrace and I was wondering how he know of my accident. Kei waved her hands, catching my attention and she pointed towards the door and mouthed, “I’m gonna go out” before going out of the room silently, giving Bobby and I some privacy.

He let go of me when I was about to pull away myself. He cupped my face, forehead meeting mine and his eyes gaze endearingly, making my eyes waver. I can see the relief in his eyes before he pulled into another tight hug. As if his eyes didn’t show the relieve enough, he heaved out a sigh, “You’re okay.”

“How-”

“Kei called me.” he replied even before I finished my sentence. He pulled away and started scolding me, “Why are you dozing off when you’re cycling! Do you know how dangerous it is! Please take care of yourself. For yourself. And if you can’t do that, I told you didn’t I, that you’re very important to me.” I blushed and not knowing what to say, I just stared at him.

He then added, “There are a lot of people that think you’re important. Keep that in mind” I looked down and chuckle to myself mentally. Right? What am I thinking? I’m just important because I’m his friend, nothing more. Don’t get too carried away. That sting in my heart came back.

The doctor said that I needed to stay the night to get proper meals and infusion for my exhaustion. Bobby insisted that he stayed the night with me, earning instant disapproval from Kei. But he keeps on insisting and Kei finally give in while giving him a warning, “take care of her properly! Don’t you dare do anything to her. If anything happens when you’re here, you’ll be a dead meat tomorrow.” I chuckled at her protectiveness.

The guys and Bo Ram came to visit and I wondered why they came even if it’s just a minor injury. She came in with Chanwoo beside her, which is already a normal thing. I wondered if they had already started dating officially. Yunhyeong made me feel a lot better from his jokes and I didn’t feel like I’m in the hospital at all. And once in a while, I caught Bobby smiling warmly at me. When all of them went home, the room had gone quiet again. Bobby was tidying up the sofa that he’s going to sleep on. It was a small sofa for his size and I can’t help but feel sorry for troubling him.

“Hey, are you really okay to sleep there? I mean, I’m just staying here for one night. You can go home you know”, I break the silence.

“No, I want to stay here.” He replied bluntly before adding, “can you just let someone take care of you this time.”

“Okay” I replied as I noticed his slight frustration.

“I want to take care of you okay. I want to do well,” he further explained, mumbling towards the end, as if what he said just now hasn’t convinced me enough. And I just nodded in reply, busy in my own thought, ‘I want to do well’ what does he mean?

After he finished tidying up the sofa, he pulled a chair beside my bed and asked me, “Do you want anything? Drink? Is it warm enough?” he throws a ton of question.

I chuckled, “Well, a drink please, mister. And nope, it’s warm enough. Maybe I should get sick more often so you will treat me this nice.”

He replied while pouring water for me, “Hey! Don’t get sick! You make me worried enough all this time” I can feel the tension between us lessened and I’m thankful that this accident happened because I get to talk to him again. It made me realize how not talking to him affected me so much. I really do like him a lot, so much that it hurts. I’m scared that I’m the only one who falls and I don’t want to ruin our friendship. While I’m busy in my thoughts, he said in a serious tone, “I’m sorry.”

Shocked by the sudden change in tone, I asked, “What for?”

“Hanbin told me what happened that night. You saw her didn’t you?”

Remembering that night brings back the ache in my heart and all I can do was kept quiet.

“I used to play with her,” he said and my heart clenches. He added, “or went out. Whatever you call it.”

“Slept?” I asked in a serious tone, almost sounding hurt. His eyes bore into mine and after a few seconds, he turned away, ashamed, as if he wanted to hide away his past in front of me.

He looked down and mumbled, “I’m the worst, aren’t I?”

“No, you’re not” I said mimicking his mumbling. Directly after that, his eyes shoot up and met mine again. His soft eyes glistened in the already dim hospital room.

Silence filled the room before he breaks it, “I said something to you didn’t I?” I still kept quiet, looking down while playing with my fingers to avoid eye contact. He reached out and grabbed my hands, making me meet his gaze.

“What did I say?” he asked, I no longer able to avoid his gaze.

“Why are you sorry when you don’t even remember what you said?”

“What am I supposed to do? I messed up and it’s driving me crazy not talking to you. I’m sorry. I just-” he stopped, trying to find the right words and he started ruffling his hair in frustration, “I don’t know okay.”

“You said you fought with your dad,” I swallowed the lump in my throat before continuing, “because of me. I’m the one who should say sorry. I’m sorry.”

His eyes widened and he pulled me into a hug, for the millionth time that day. “It’s not your fault.” He then added, slightly mumbling, “I’m trying to protect you all this time, but in the end, I hurt you too.”

He murmured under his breath, so low that I can barely hear it. But I heard it and at that, I softened.