Chapter 30

Twenty

Saturday. 9.00 am. Today is my first date with Bobby after we officially become a couple. Memory from last night appeared on my head as soon as I opened my eyes.

 

-----

“Tomorrow I am going on a date with Bobby” I said to Kei.

She shrugged, “Is that even something new? You guys go on a date so many times before.”

“N-No, that’s not it. I mean like we are-” I stopped, finding the right words to explain the situation. “We’re together. Like together, ‘together. Uhm- Like we’re official” I stuttered, still awkward by the fact that we’re dating.

Kei stared at me for a good 3 seconds. The room is filled with silence.

“You’re all grown up now” her voice sounded so motherly it shocked me. She shake her head while saying, “He will get a long lecture on Monday.” She then stared at me and I stared at her blankly. Not getting her signal, she speaks out her mind, “Go on. Speak up lady. You need to start your story telling now. I’m waiting”

I told he confessed and she gave me a lot of tips and advices for the beginner. I always thought she is so experienced when it comes to guys. But I never saw her like a love master until today. When she gave me an advice, I can imagine the wind and 'wiseness' blowing right through her from all the right angle. Just like Mufasa from The Lion King.

That night we ended up chatting until midnight before separating to our own rooms. Right before I went to sleep, I texted Bo Ram to tell her about Bobby and I. Not even 1 minute passed before my phone buzzed.

You got a lot of explaining to do on Monday! Get ready! - Bo Ram

I can’t help but smile at the message.

My phone buzzed again.

Goodnight! See you tomorrow. - Bobby.

--------

I braid my hair and and put on makeup, making sure to powder to withstand today's heat as Bobby and I are going to the zoo. Today’s weather is going to be undeniably hot, or that’s what the weather app said. So, I put on appropriate clothes that are going to help me withstand today’s unavoidable heat. But nonetheless, I am really excited to go the the zoo because it’s been so long since I’ve been there. And most importantly, it’s my first official date.

 

We decided to meet at the bus stop near my place, to go to the zoo together. When we rode the bus, it was so packed that we did not get any seat. He made sure I was holding onto the rail and he stood behind me. Every time the bus driver pressed his break, he would hold my arms to prevent me from falling. I was never been taken care of this well by a guy before. And I can’t help but feel touched from his sincere action.

 

Once we arrived at the zoo, he offered his hands towards me and said “Are you ready?”

I took his hands and he gave me the warmest bunny smile and said “Let’s go!”

We took a lot of pictures that day. We laughed a lot. We shared ice cream. We held hands, most of the time. And we smiled a lot. It seems impossible to prevent my cheekbones from going way up. I’m way too happy to control my face.

 

Time flies so fast. The next thing I knew is that the sky has started to show pink and purple colour, signalling the start of night time. We decided to have dinner before going back. He then insisted to take me back home. While walking home, we were passing by the park near my place when he said, “should we sit here for a while?” I nodded, not wanting to be separated from him soon.

 

“Thank you for today” he said

“Well, a ‘thank you’ for you too” I replied, smiling. He grabbed my hand and intertwined it with his.

“It’s still surreal to me. You know, about us.” he said

And I blurted out a question that had been on my mind a lot of times before without thinking, “Why me?”

Suddenly, he cupped my face and his face serious, “Park Hyo Kyung, you are an amazing girl. I told you hundred times before. You’re different. A good kind of different. I want you to know that. You’re such a warm person. You’re perfect and I’m a piece of trash. I was so scared to get too close to you. I’m afraid I’ll ruin you. But realizing, I kept looking at you and I tried to find ways to get closer. You don’t even drink and act crazy like most girls these days. I was confused, I couldn’t find a way to get close to you.” he paused, searching for my eyes and making sure i was holding his eye contact, before continuing, “But even then, I can’t help but fall for you. You changed me. You helped me overcome my past. You taught me that even a person like me have a heart. You know, I used to fill my lack of affection from random girls. I’d rather get drunk and play games with those girls because i didn’t want to get attached to anyone. I thought I wouldn’t get hurt by hiding in the darkness. But you shine your light on me. And you changed all that. Look at me. Now I’m smiling like you and am so happy because of you.”

I was tearing up by hearing what he had said. I’ve never thought I meant this much to him. What I felt right then was unexplainable.

“Does that answer your question?”

I didn’t reply his question and I just hugged him, burying my face in his chest.

“And God! You’re so beautiful when you smile”, he added. My heart melts again for the umpteenth time that day, if it’s even possible for a heart to melt that much. I let out a muffled laugh from the hug and joked, “thank you! Don’t make my fly too high” I continued, “I was scared too, you know. I thought I was the only one catching feelings. And I was afraid to ruin our friendship and I thought that you still hang around a lot of girls”

He chuckled at my confession, “I told you that time that i stopped doing that didn’t I? Don’t tell me you didn’t know why?”
I looked up from the hug, “It was because of me?”

He ruffled my head and joked, “How dense can you be?

--------

He ushered me until my front door, before parting, a thought appeared in my head.

“Hey Bob?” he stopped in his track and turned so that he’s fully facing me. I continued, “You’re not a piece of trash. Not in the past and not today too. And I just want you to know that.”

His eyes soften and that time I didn’t run away from his gaze. I was so drawn into his gaze that I was just lost in his eyes. He took a step closer. He cupped my face and his face is moving closer towards mine. My heartbeat is so loud, its deafening. My eyes are slowly closing and I can feel his hot breath is getting tangled with mine. When my eyes are closed, soft kiss is planted on my forehead.

He pulled away and we’re still lost in each other’s eyes, when there’s a click sound from my front door.

“What are you guys doing?” Kei appeared from behind the door.

Bobby’s hands are still cupping my face and my hands moved to cover my eyes in attempt to hide myself in reflex.

“What-?” Hanbin’s voice can be heard from behind Kei. They both stop in their track in front of the scene.

“What? Can’t I touch my own girlfriend?” Bobby said, while I slowly uncover my eyes.

“Please don’t contaminate my innocent friend” Kei said jokingly while she playfully hit Bobby.

Hanbin’s expression is priceless. He stood there; still processing the scene and sentence he just saw and heard. “Wha- What girlfriend? What do you mean? I’m lost here guys” He blurt out, dumbfounded. While Kei just rolled her eyes.

“I was going to tell you today” Bobby told Hanbin, before intertwining our hands, “We’re together”

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Bobby’s POV

Hanbin and I went home after that. Turns out he was having a movie marathon in Hyo Kyung and Kei’s place that day.

“Bro I’m so sorry we interrupted you just know.” Hanbin said

“What?”

“You know, the kiss just now” he answered.

“I wasn’t going to do it. I’m going to take it slow this time. I want to match my pace with hers.”