Chapter 28

Twenty

11.20, the clock reads. Bo Ram and I were already packing our lecture notes. When it hits 11.30, signaling the end of lecture, shuffling of students’ feets are roaring from once-quiet lecture hall. The students were so fast of getting out of the room as if staying there longer will burn their skin. And not-so-surprisingly, we were one of the fastest students that got out of the lecture theatre. These days I could see that Bo Ram is more excited to finish lecture than ever because she get to meet Chanwoo after class. And I couldn’t help but smile at the thought.

 

A few steps out of the theatre’s door, someone put his/her arm around my shoulder a little bit too aggressively that I stumbled forward. I can smell the perfume that I know so well instantly. I knew it was Bobby without needing to confirm it. I turned my head towards him anyway and give him my annoyed face “I told you don’t touch me so easily right” And as usual, he gave me his wide cheeky grin. This smile of his never fails to heat up my face and I escaped from his arm to calm my rapid heart.

I turned my head towards where Bo Ram was, hoping to walk beside her in attempt to escape Bobby. But she was already laughing and joking with Chanwoo. I sighed, couples, and rolled my eyes.

Then I meet Bobby’s eyes and said, “Let’s go then” And he returned me that same smile before putting his arms around my shoulder again.

-----

Eating together after class has been our routine when we have the same schedule. Its funny how we flock together even though we are taking different majors.

Arriving in the canteen, I saw Kei and Hanbin is already at the table from afar.

“Your friend is so head over heels over Kei” I said as I saw how Hanbin is so immersed every time he’s talking to Kei.

Bobby chuckled and joked, “I can’t believe I get to live to see this day”

I laughed, “So intimidating-looking people can fall in love too huh. Don’t judge a book by its cover right? Lesson learned” I sound out my thought.

Bobby laughed again, “Of course anyone can”

I squinted my eyes at him in attempt to playfully mock him, “Really? Can you be head over heels about someone though?”

“I already am” He ruffled my hair and proceeded to take the seat next to hanbin.

“Wha…?” Shocked, only half of the word came out of my mouth. I shook my head, not wanting to let myself be stuck in the endless loops of questions from what Bobby had said.

 

In the middle of lunch, Bobby tapped my shoulder and showed his phone. The screen showed “VIDEO GAME ORCHESTRA” in big letters followed by the list of games which songs will be played. And I saw a few of our childhood games on the list. My eyes widen from excitement.

“Wanna go?” He asked.

I nodded eagerly without saying anything because my mouth filled with food.

“Okay!” he cheered before leaning in and whispered “it’s a date”

I was dumbfounded the second time that day, reminding myself to not get carried away with my out-of-control thoughts.

----

It’s the day of the concert. We bought the ticket online that day to quickly reserve the seat. I was so excited for today that I couldn’t sleep last night. The thought of sitting inside the concert hall with the nostalgic songs gave me goose bumps. And thankfully, this makes me think less of the so called ‘date’ with Bobby today. After all, today will be just like any other outing with Bobby. I convince myself over and over again.

We met outside the concert hall. As I saw a glimpse of him from afar, I started to hear the fast beating of my heart, which has gotten so familiar these past weeks.

As his eyes meets mine, it quickly turned into crescent moon. He grabbed my hands in his and dragged me inside the hall. I can tell that he’s as excited as I am. And I cannot contain my wide smile.

None of us talked during the play, too immersed by the song that once filled our childhood. Memories come flooding in as I listened to the songs and as expected I got goose bumps a lot of times I lost count. After the concert had ended, we were in daze, still amazed by the performance. Only one word escaped both of our mouth, “Wah”

Exiting the hall, Bobby said “Let’s go to the next place”

“Where are we going?”

-----

We were eating our just-boiled instant noodle near the riverside, sitting on laid blanket. The night breeze sends a shiver through my body. The steam from the noodle being the only source of warmth.

Bobby noticed my slight shivering, he took off his plaid outer and drape it around my shoulder. He take my hands in his, rubbing it in attempt to make it warm.

“It’s cold right” he said.

The way he is so calm and smooth in doing these actions, worried me. As if he had done this to millions of girls before.

I pulled my hands out of his grip, “I’m okay” giving him a smile.

He was about to protests, when his phone buzzed. And he take out his phone to reply the new message. And I didn’t bother to ask who that is. His phones buzzed several more times and I can’t help but wonder who he is texting with. I would be lying if I say I was not jealous.

We were talking about the most random things. And I laughed at his jokes like I always do. In the middle of laughing, someone called his phone. He looked at his phone, smile gone from his face and brings his phone to his ear.

“Hey Dad” he answered.

My ears perked up as I heard a low voice from the other side. Without me realizing, wide smile were plastered in my face. I can’t even hide or control my face. Seeing him talking with his dad warms up my heart.

“Yeah, see you tomorrow” Bobby ended the call. Putting down his phone, he said “I’m going to meet him tomorrow.” And when his eyes met mine, I gave him the biggest smile, not bothering to hide the happiness. He looked dumbfounded for a second.

“Wah! I’m happy” I exclaimed.

“Because I’m meeting my dad tomorrow?” he asked, confused.

I nodded aggressively.

“Why-?” he paused before continuing, “How can you be this happy for other people?” his tone serious.

Still not able to hide the smile in my face, I replied, “Because.”

He stared at me deeply and so intensely, I feel I can melt from his gaze. I was about to break it., before he said something that made me froze. My surroundings suddenly became mute, only the deafening sound of my heart beat was heard.

“I like you.”