Chapter 05

Twenty

Saturday rolled around the corner and I’m getting ready to leave the house to meet Bobby. I’ve agreed to his ‘friend-date’, according to him at least, hoping I could get some answers and rebuild our friendship. I felt nervous because I was afraid that things could get awkward between us.

I arrived and saw him already waiting in front of the cafe, wearing a white shirt and a pair of washed out ripped jeans, topped with plaid flannel and a cap. Once he saw me, he smiled widely and the corner of his eyes crinkled upwards.

We ate our dinner and catch up on each other’s lives. I could feel like we’re getting closer again and the invisible wall between us started to crumble. I sensed that he hasn’t told me everything like the reason why he suddenly left. I wanted to know but I decided to not pry.

“How about we go to the carnival next?” he asked.

My face lit up, “Oh, let’s go! I never had a chance to go before.”

Once we arrived at the carnival, the sky was painted with pomegranate pink, dotted with cotton-floss clouds. Faint music and occasional excited scream can be heard. People wandered from stall to stall with ice-creams melted over the cone, dripping down their hands. Structure of rides can be seen and the smell of cotton candy, popcorn and grease combined into one. I let it all sink in and let myself enjoy and be excited in this carnival.

While I was busy paying attention to my surroundings, Bobby is suddenly nowhere to be found. I was about to call him when I saw him walking towards me with 2 scoops of my favorite ice cream, vanilla and chocolate ice cream. He still remembers.

“You have a habit of disappearing huh.” I said sarcastically and he just gave me his sheepish smile and shrugged, while handing me the ice cream.

We shared our ice cream, just like old times. Then we play rides, fishing and shooting games, in which I won. The staff asked me which small prize I want, then Bobby whispered to me “the Winnie the Pooh please.” I laughed at his childish request and ask the staff for the small Winnie the Pooh plushie.

I give the plushie to him, and he hangs his new favorite toy in his belt area. I looked at him strangely, and we both laughed. Our laugh was then interrupted by someone calling my name, “Hyo Kyung?”

I turned towards the feminine voice. “Hey!” she said and I said it back to her. Its Min Yu Ra and her friend,  Kim Si Yeon. Yu Ra’s eyes automatically landed on Bobby, “Is this your friend?” she asked in a high pitched voice. Oh boy, here we go.

“Oh yeah. This is Bobby. Bobby, this is Min Yu Ra and Kim Si Yeon.” I forced a smile. She flipped her hair and bat her lashes. Looks like she found her new target.

Yu Ra kept making conversation with us, while stealing glances at Bobby, trying to get his attention. Bobby seemed to notice her hidden motives and interrupted “Sorry. I think we will go now. It’s been a long time since we spend time together.” He nodded politely and grabs my wrist to drag me away.

He drags me to a bench located at the side of the river, where there is less crowds and he said “Wait here, okay” before leaving me and enters the crowd again. I sit on the bench and saw him coming back with bottle of beer in each hand, before handing one to me.

Holding the beer in my hand, I break the silence, “How’s your mom and dad? It’s been a while since I saw them.”

He kept quiet so I looked at him and realized that I might have just made a mistake. I was about to change my topic before he answers me, “that’s the reason why I left.” My mind turned blank. He continued “My dad suffers from drug abuse. My parents divorced, and my mother took me with her, away from my father. I was afraid to tell you at that time. I didn’t know what to do and I didn’t want to accept the fact that my family is broken.”

“I’m sorry….” I said. And he said while chuckling “you don’t have to pity me you know. It happened in the past.”

 

“I’m not saying sorry because I pity you. I’m saying it because I’d been selfish. All this time I assumed that you left me for no reason. And I’d been blaming you for something that is not true.”

He seemed surprised at my reply and he looked down in silence and when he looked up; his eyes softened and said sincerely “I’m just glad that we can spend time together again”

“Yeah me too” I’m glad that I’m not the only one who feels that way.