Chapter 04

Twenty

Immediately after the door was closed, Kei asked, excited of what she saw, “Who’s that? He’s not the type of people you usually hang out with.” She said with a playful tone, nudging me.

I sighed, not in the mood to talk about him after what had happened, but ended up still replying anyway, “I know right, complete opposite of me. He’s my childhood friend.”

“What are you talking about with him earlier? You guys seem pretty tense.”

“Yeah, I totally snapped in front of him. Thank God you came at the right moment. It could have gotten worse.” I sighed again.

She sensed my sullen mood and decided to say something that makes me feel grateful for having her as my roommate “You can talk to me about it anytime you feel like it”; as if she knew I didn’t want to talk about it now.

“Thanks” I smiled weakly but sincerely.

That day, before I went to sleep, questions popped inside my head. Was I too harsh on him earlier? Did he have a reason for leaving me that I don’t know? But I deserved at least a goodbye right? I started to overthink again. I shook my head, trying to rid of the never-ending questions in my head.

The next day, class was boring as usual. The lecturer teaches, I take notes, checking my phone to pass time, stealing glances at Jae Hyuk.

After lecture, Bo Ram and I decided to eat at the cafeteria. Just when I was about to eat, someone pulled the chair beside me and sat on it. I turned my head to see Jae Hyuk and said hi to him, acting not surprised while I was actually blushing madly. Bo Ram was just staring at the exchange between Jae Hyuk and I, looking confused and displeased by the unanticipated company. I guess he was not her favorite person.

He scoots closer to me and put his arm around my chair. My heart rate speed up and I can’t contain my excitement. OH MY GOD. Just as we were talking, someone appeared at the side of our table, I looked up, dumbfounded, to see Bobby. Bobby glanced towards Jae Hyuk and frown, “can we talk outside for a while?” he asked.

I looked at Bo Ram then at Jae Hyuk; both looking as confused as me, before Jae Hyuk breaks the silence “I should get back to my friends. Bye, Hyo Kyung! See you tomorrow in class.” He smiled at me and nodded at Bo Ram. I waved my hands at him then looked at my best friend again, in which she nodded, as if telling me that I should go talk to Bobby. 

Bobby and I went out of the canteen to talk.

“Hey”, he smiled sheepishly; still awkward of what happened yesterday, before continuing “I think I found your house key. It’s this one right?” He showed a key, with a Totoro key chain dangling from it, in his hands. “My friend who worked at the coffee shop found your key on the table yesterday” And I know instantly that it is the “Chanwoo” guy that Bo Ram noticed.

“Oh my God. It’s really my key!” I said too excitedly, then letting out a relieved sigh. I was worried that I need to pay to make new house key.

He chuckled at my response. After I realized that I’m being too happy about finding my key, I cleared my throat and said “that’s all you wanted to say right. Thanks.” I said briefly, thankful enough that he returned my key, but still not wanting to be too close to him. Then I started to walk away, before he grabbed my arm.

“Are you still angry?”


“No. I just- it happened a long time ago okay. Then you suddenly re-appear in front of me and acted like everything’s fine and as if it never happened.” I replied him half shouting, half whispering and added softly, “It’s just,’ I paused, trying to find the right words, “different now.” Deep down, I am still angry and confused about what had happened. I mean, who wouldn’t right? But it’s been so long and I don’t know how to deal with it. 

“Can we be friends again?” he asked softly. I kept quiet. “I want to make up for what I did.” He added.

“Why?” I asked.

“Because you’re special.”

Sounds like what players always say. I raised my eyebrows in doubt. He seemed to realize that it sounded like a pesky flirting and pointed out, “Uhm… Don’t get me wrong. I don’t mean it that way.”

Of course right? We’re just childhood friends after all. That would be weird if start to flirt with me.

“Please?” he pleads.

I sighed, “what do you want to me say?”

“Say yes?”