Chapter 15

Twenty

It was the exhibition day. The hall is crowded with people’s chatter and murmurs. People are moving in different directions and momentarily stopping to admire different art pieces. The art members were all in the hall, busy admiring other’s works.

I was busy walking around, appreciating the work of the other members, until I saw Jaehyuk with flower in his hands. I was about to say hi when I saw him tapping someone’s shoulder. My breath hitched when I saw who it was. Go A Ra. I watched as he hand her the flowers and gave her a hug. I saw him smile and my heart sank. That’s a smile he never showed me. I quickly turned around and made my way to the toilet. It’s okay, they’re just friends.

I was about to enter the toilet when I heard a familiar voice, “I just saw Jae Hyuk giving her flowers. I knew something was going on with him and A Ra.” I wanted to walk away but my body refuses to move. “Just a few days ago, he asked me out on a date but completely ghosted me” she continued. “What a prick!”

Unable to process what was happening, I left with a lump in my throat. I stepped outside the building where it’s more quiet and secluded. I bowed my head, holding back my tears but failed as tears rolled down my cheeks.

I was busy wiping away the tears, when my hands bumped into something standing in front of me. When I look forward, I could see his chest in front of my face, as if shielding me from being seen by someone. I craned my neck to see Bobby, looking down at me. The moment my eyes meet his, I feel the muscle in my chin tremble like a child and my tears bursts out like water from a dam, spilling down my face and I started to ramble in between my sobs,

“I should have known! They were so close. He buys her coffee all the time, I saw them hanging out and she even posted a picture of him on her social media!”

 “Stop” he said.

I didn’t listen to what he said and continued to ramble, “I stupidly trying to convince myself that they’re just friends! I am not enough aren’t I? I messed up didn’t I? I am just so stupid. I felt special when he talked to me. Why would I even think a guy like that could like me? Maybe I’m worthless huh. I’m not the most important to anyone, not myself, not my friends, not anyone.”

Suddenly he hugged me and with that he successfully stops me from my self-loathing ramble. I buried my face in his chest and he my hair, making my tears fall even more. “He never liked me from the start? I never stood a chance huh? He played me and I just fell right to it. I am so stupid. Why is all this happening to me? I must really did something wrong right? This is my punishment right?”

“You’re important to me. Very.” When he said this, I looked up from my position and his gaze bore into my eyes for a good few seconds before he buried my head again to his chest. I can hear his heart pounding so loudly in a fast steady rhythm.

 

We stayed in that position for quite some time; before I hit his chest and looked up from his chest. “Stop stringing girls along okay? It hurts. There could be girls crying because of you.”

He wipes away my remaining tears, “I stopped doing that”

“Since when?”

“Not long ago” he replied, still gazing into my eyes.

“Why? Did something happen?” He pushes away the hair out of my face while replying “Yeah”, before taking my hand in his, dragging me away.

We find a nearby vending machine, and he buys me a hot tea. I sipped my tea quietly, still tired from all the sobbing, eyes feeling swollen. I noticed that he keep stealing glances towards me, checking if I’m okay.

“How do you know I’m outside?” I asked him the question that popped into my head.

“I saw it” He replied briefly, not wanting me to replay the scene in my head.

“I’m okay now you know” I nudged him, trying to lighten the atmosphere.

“You’re going to cry again at home won’t you?”

“Maybe”

“Don’t go home then. Come to my place tonight.” He offered.

I choked my hot tea, “What?! Are you kidding right now?”

“What? We do it all the time when we were kids” he argued, still being serious about his idea.

“Hey, if you notice. We’re not kids anymore. Can’t you see?” I gestured at both of our bodies.

He turned red, “N-no. That’s not what I meant. Not staying the night. J-just you know ….. Play games and do a movie marathon” he clears his throat.

“Oh….” I looking away from him, turning red from embarrassed.