Chapter 17

Twenty

We stared at each other for a good 3 seconds. The next thing I knew, Kei lunged towards Bobby and start hitting him.

“WHAT DID YOU DO!” she screamed, grabbing a chunk of his hair before slapping him with her free hand. Chaos filled the hallway. Hanbin was trying to pry her off Bobby. Bobby was defending himself, crying out in pain.  And I just stood there, dumbfounded. I snapped back to reality, “STOP! STOP!”, diving into the chaos in order to stop the fight.

Hanbin successfully yanked her off Bobby, and I quickly stood in between them. I can feel Bobby cowering behind me. “I-I was the one who came here on my own. He didn’t do anything.” I explained quickly, defending him. Kei stopped struggling from Hanbin’s grip, “Oh…” the hallway was filled with silence once again, before she broke it. “ Let’s go eat breakfast then,” before walking away as if the chaos had never happened.

I quickly turned to Bobby, “Oh no. I’m so sorry. Are you okay?” I touched to check his sore cheeks.

“Wow. You have really nice and caring roommate.” He replied sarcastically.

I smile sheepishly, “Sorry, hehehee”

We sit awkwardly at the dining table, having our breakfast. Bobby and Hanbin seem to chat normally with each other; it appears what happened this morning is not a big deal for them. I, on the other hand, was eating uncomfortably while avoiding eye contact with everyone, especially Kei. I can feel her stare going back and forth to me and Bobby, as if suspicious that there is something between me and him.

After the painfully awkward breakfast, Kei and I decided to go back. I saw Kei and Hanbin exchanging phone numbers before we go. And I can’t help but think of what had happened yesterday. I probably too deep in my sleep to hear them come back.

“Let me take you home?” Bobby breaks me out of my thoughts.

Before I could say anything, Kei answered him, “Its okay. I’m going with her.”

Not being able to say anything, he just nodded, “I’ll text you later.”

Again, I can feel Kei’s stare of suspicion boring into the back of my head. “Okay. Bye then.” I let out an awkward chuckle.

We were walking in silence until she decided to ask me, as it has been at the tip of her tongue all this while, “So, what’s with you and Bobby?”

“I was hanging out with him till late and fell asleep. That’s all.” I clarified.

“You didn’t do anything last night?” she asked suspiciously.

“No!”

She searched my face suspiciously, “Not even ….?”

Before she could finish her sentence, I cut her off “No!” I can feel the blush creeping up, “what’s with you and Hanbin?” I questioned her, changing the topic.

“Oh. We met at the bar last night”, she shrugged. How can she be so chill about it? Why am I so worked up? I wish I can be more like her.

“I saw you exchanging numbers. That’s new,” I stated.

“Yeah, he’s cute I guess.” I notice her lips slightly curled upwards.

The next few weeks Bobby and I spent a lot of time together. He is always being there for me and it helps me to think less about the whole situation with Jae Hyuk. Once in a while, if I thought about it, I would be upset by the fact that I’m being toyed with. But I was pretty much fine now and I had accepted that we didn’t work out. It made me realize how thankful I am to have Bobby by my side.

I was lying down in my bed, staring at the ceiling when I feel my phone vibrated.

Are you sleeping? – Bobby

Not yet. – Hyo Kyung

How about a trip next weekend? Are you up for it? – Bobby

I was typing my reply, when my door slowly opens and Kei’s face peeked behind the door, “You coming next week?”

“W-wha- Hanbin texted you?”

“Yeah. So are you coming?”

“Well yeah. Why not I guess?” I shrugged before adding “Seems like Hanbin is trying to spend more time with you.” I tried to , wiggling my eyebrows.

This time, she shrugged, “Yeah, he told me.” Wow, such a cool person. “Perhaps, Bobby too right? With you” she added.

I agreed to the trip and get Bo Ram to come along. It’s going to be my first trip with friends since I started college and I’m excited.