Chapter 18

Twenty

I was sitting across Min Yu Ra in a café. I asked her to meet up with me to clear things up and thankfully she agreed to my idea. I can feel the awkwardness after all that happen. The air feels thick.

“Um, it’s been a long time since we talked to each other right?” I asked the rhetorical question, but she answered anyway.

“Yeah” silence followed through her answer.

“About what happened in-“

I was interrupted by her apology, “I’m sorry okay”, she said, looking down.

Her apology came out faster than I expected which makes all the words I planned to say vanished like it was never there at the first place.

“You know, I will not ask you why you did it. I’m sure you have your own reason and I feel like it’s better for me to not know. But-”

I was interrupted once again, “I was jealous” my ears perked up at her sudden confession. “I never was a popular kid at school. Once I started college, I was happy that I get more attention that I never get in school before. I enjoyed it and until you came along. I knew you’re different than me.  And that guy seems to only look at you. I knew somehow that I can’t seem to have what you have.  And I started to get jealous” She looks up to meet my eyes.

I was once again loss for words, “I-I’m sorry if I make you feel that way” I apologized as a wave of sympathy washes over me, before i shook my head mentally, reminding myself to not look weak. “But what you did is wrong. I hope you will not do that to anyone again”.

“I-I know. That’s why I’m sorry.” She apologizes again.

 

The next day was the day of our camping/caravaning trip. I was looking forward to this day for the whole week and I was feeling really relieved after the talk with Yu Ra the other day. And because of that, this trip feels like a reward for bravely clearing things up.

We rent out a medium sized van to fit 10 people. When Kei and I arrived, everyone has already arrived before us. Then when I come inside the van, I already saw Bo Ram and Chanwoo sitting together, talking and laughing. When did they get so close? I was about to sit with her though. I was about to call for Kei to sit with me in the van, when I saw her with Hanbin and my mouth went shut.

Suddenly I hear a voice near my ear, giving me chills down my spine, “You’re sitting with me”.

­­The ride was filled with loud and excited babbling at first. And now it’s just quiet, everyone is either busy with their own phones or sleeping. I can feel my eyelids getting heavier and I decided to close my eyes. The next thing I knew, we have arrived. We needed to walk for a few minutes to see 5 caravans laid out neatly, surrounded by evergreen trees. Rustling of the trees can be heard and I can feel the fresher and chillier air. It was calm and it was just the perfect place to take a break from all the assignments and stress from college life. I was busy taking in our surroundings, when DongHyuk breaks the silence “Someone needs to go buy meat for our BBQ tonight. Any volunteer?”

Everyone just keep quiet, staring at each other. “We’re doing a draw then!” he exclaimed, excited as he always is. All of us write our names on a piece of paper and fold it. 2 papers were picked. It was only seconds away from the revelation; everyone was quiet, waiting for the names. “Hyo Kyung” and “YunHyeong”. The ones whose name was not written were jumping in joy. Everyone would want to relax after hours of traveling in the van. YunHyeong and I were just standing there, as if there is a line of happiness and doom. He sighed, before turning to me and putting his arms around me “okay. Let’s go then Hyo Kyung, so we can have dinner soon.” I nodded. Just as we started walking the other way, “Wait! I’m coming too.” Before I can turn my head, I can feel the weight on my shoulder. This gained everyone’s attention, “Why?”

“The more the merrier. I can help carry more things” Bobby said. YunHyeong and I exchanged weird looks. And with that, Bobby followed us to buy the groceries.

The sky was getting darker, the campfire is getting brighter. The BBQ was a huge success. YunHyeong made his “trademark” BBQ sauce, according to him at least. I took occasional glances towards Kei with Hanbin and Bo Ram with Chanwoo. What’s with people around be getting together… Don’t tell me I’m going to be left out again after they all started dating. I mentally face-palmed.

We were all lazily sitting and chatting around the campfire with beer in our hands, still in food coma after pigging out. Suddenly Kei and Hanbin stood up from the seat and left. Then I saw Chanwoo eyes lit up and said “We’re also going for a walk then?”, meeting Bo Ram’s eyes. She looked at me and mouthed “sorry”, giving me a sheepish smile. Then they left.

“What’s with them being lovey-dovey? I should’ve brought someone with me too”, June complained.

“Tch. What a boy. Can’t live without girls huh.” Jinhwan teases.

“Says the boy,” June rolled his eyes.

“You’re the worst here,” Jinhwan replied him, not wanting to lose.

“Isn’t Yunhyeong the worst?” June snickers and Jinhwan laughed in agreement. 

“Why am I being dragged into this!” YunHyeong protests.

In the midst of the playful argument, Bobby stood up and pulled me off my seat. ‘’Let’s go.’’ He said and I was dragged away. I chuckled as I hear the guys’ complain.