Chapter 13

Twenty

The next few days, I would stay back until late in the art classroom, busy re-doing my piece for the exhibition.

I was so engrossed in painting, until my phone buzzes multiple times, disturbing me. I check my phone to see a lot of message from Bobby. I can’t help but smile from seeing his spam message. It has multiple “hey” messages and 1 message saying “where are you?” I replied to him saying I was in the art room and I never get any reply after that.

About 30 minutes later, I heard the door creaked and followed by a thump. Like someone is carrying a lot of stuff that it’s hard to hold the door open. I startled by the sudden sound, turned my head quickly in response, to find Bobby carrying a McDonald’s bag in both hands.

I was dumbfounded “What are you doing?”

“Bringing you snacks” he said proudly.

“Wow. That’s so sweet of you!” I said in a teasing manner. “That doesn’t look like a snack though. That’s a full on meal right there.”

He laughed while shrugging, “Figured you might need to recharge, you know, from all those painting.”

“Okay then let me do a bit more.”

He laid out all the burgers and fries while I finish up on what I am doing. Suddenly I heard another creak from the door and I turned my head to see Jae Hyuk. Upon entering the room, his gaze is immediately directed towards Bobby, and they nod slightly towards each other. He then called out to me “Hey, Hyo Kyung! How’s your painting going?”

“Uh hey” I gave him a fake smile, not bothering to answer his question, still feeling disappointed and somehow awkward. He tried to get closer towards me, before Bobby blocked his way and stand close behind me, pretending to admire my painting. I looked up to see Bobby and saw his jaw clenching. He grabbed the paintbrush and palette from my hands and put it down. He then pulled me towards the table where the food is perfectly laid out, ready to be devoured.

“Eat” he said to me, before turning his gaze at Jae Hyuk, as if signaling him to just go away. He stands there like he is out of place, until he breaks the uncomfortable silence “Well I’m going then. Bye, Hyo Kyung.” I smiled weakly in response.

The room is silent again after Jae Hyuk went out. Unable to hide his disapproval, Bobby rambled like an annoyed child, “Tch, that jerk has no shame. How can he act like nothing happened? What an .” I laughed and earned a glare from him, “what’s so funny?”
“You”, I laughed again.

“Be careful of that guy. He may be a player you know.”

“Look at you, talking about yourself.” I .

“Because I am a player, that’s why I can recognize other player.” He praised himself.

“Okay then player” I nudged him playfully.

 

He takes me home again that night.

“You’re coming to my exhibition next week right?”

“Yeap! I definitely will come.”

“I can finally relax after that” I sighed, relieved

“You’re okay with everything so far right?” a hint of worry can be heard from his voice. I nodded.

“Don’t tire yourself too much”, he said worriedly at seeing my worn out face. “Wake up a bit later. Like 11 or 12?” he joked and successfully earned a laugh from me, while hitting his arm.

His face turned serious again and his hands moved closer to my face, before stopping midway, as if he’s hesitant to finish his action. His hands then retreated back to his sides.

“Go inside. Get some rest.”

“Thank you for the McDonald’s. Hehee”, I give him a big smile and waved at him. To my surprise, he grabbed my waving hands and intertwined it. He looked at our intertwined hands and seemed to be in deep thought. I blushed at the lingering contact, before he quickly let go of my hands.

Why is he acting weird today?