Chapter 20

Twenty

The next morning, I dreaded going outside my caravan, still can’t get the things Bobby said last night out of my head. I sighed for the hundredth time this morning. I was confused as to why I was upset by his words. As I was busy with my thoughts, the door to my caravan opened, revealing Kei.

“Let’s get breakfast!” she called out. I sighed, noticing my hesitation she asked, “You okay?”

I kept quiet and she disappeared for a while, before coming in with Bo Ram in her hands and demanded, “Tell us what happened”

I grunted and replied, “Actually, I don’t know.” I buried my face in my palms and when I look up; Kei and Bo Ram signal me to continue. I take a deep breath and spill everything that’s in my mind, “Yesterday I heard Bobby and the guys talk about me. T-They asked him if he like me. But he said that I’m just a friend,” I sighed and mumbled “and I don’t know why I’m so affected by it. Like, what did I expect him to say? We ARE friends after all.”

After i finished my rambling, Kei and Bo Ram exchanged knowing glances. And I asked suspiciously, “What?”

Bo Ram was about to open before Kei nudge her, signaling her to shut . “Well missy, you need to figure that out yourself. We can’t help you with that.”

Before I was able to sound out my protest, they dragged me out. I was pretty much too busy being in my own thought during breakfast. I was thinking about what Bobby had said and now plus what Kei and Bo Ram said this morning. What do they mean I need to figure out myself? There’s nothing to figure out.

I was chewing my food when Bobby came out of his caravan and he automatically take the seat behind me and pat my back, “Hey” I shuddered at his touch and give him a fake smile while avoiding his eyes. Without me realizing it, I keep my distance from him and give him the cold shoulder. I can’t seem to control my actions towards him.

After Bobby started eating, I gave him back his jacket, “Thanks” and I stood up, walking away. Just several steps away, Bobby jogs and stops me, “where are you going?”

“Um. Y-you know…. morning walk?” I answered him with an unsure voice. Why can’t I lie smoothly, face-palming mentally.

“Let me go with you then.”

“No, it’s okay. I want to explore myself. You should go back to your breakfast”, I gestured towards the table. Just in time, Kei came and grabbed Bobby’s collar and drag him away, “Have fun!”

For the rest of the day, I avoided Bobby whenever I can. And I can feel that he slowly tries to approach me lesser, as if he knows that I wanted some space. But somehow, I’m stuck in between being relieved and sad that he stopped trying. When I thought of that, I shook my head, confused by my own feelings.

On the way back home, I put on both earphones and turned my body towards the window, hoping he would not sit beside me but he ended up siting with me anyway. I close my eyes to avoid him from making conversation and I dozed off without realizing. Halfway through, I stirred and slowly opened my eyes to see Bobby’s jacket covering me and I realize that my head has been resting on his shoulder this whole time. I turned my head to find sharp black eyes staring right back at me. He said in a soft voice, “slept well?” I feel my heart soften, I nodded in reply and I was so drawn in his soft gaze that I never realize that my face was too close. I had been staring for too long. The heat, that I’m now used to, started creeping in and I jerked back.

The next few days, Bobby and I haven’t spoken to each other. Every time my phone buzzes, I hoped it’s him but sighed with disappointment when I realize it’s not. I wished he would try harder. But a question popped in my head, try what?

Today I just spent my day at home, having my much needed me-time. It was late when I checked my phone and Kei is still not at home. She’s probably still at the bar. Just then, my phone buzzes and I saw Hanbin’s name. Worried, I picked up.

“You need to get here. I’m at Ted’s cavern. Bobby is-” Before he could finish his sentence, I heard Kei’s yelling in the background. “Why did you call her?!” then the call ended.

Thinking something must have happened, I quickly grabbed my coat and head out. Once I’ve entered the bar, I felt an uncomfortable feeling in the pit of my stomach. It was then I realize that I was wearing still wearing my pajamas with my coat. I shake off my insecurities and quickly squeeze through the unfamiliar crowd looking for them.

Then, I saw Kei grabbing a girl’s by the arm and pulling her off someone whose head was already on the table. It’s him. Bobby. I felt a pang on my heart followed by a wrenching pain at the sight before my eyes. I take a deep breath, trying to ease the pain and take timid steps towards them.

Kei’s friend, Lara, notices me and nudges Kei. The next thing I knew, eyes were on me and Kei’s eyes widened like a deer caught in headlights.

“” Kei cursed.