Chapter 25

Twenty

Kei were giving extra blanket pillow to Bobby as he set it in the sofa in our living room where he will be sleeping in the next few days. Despite Kei’s initial refusal to Bobby’s idea, she gave in to his constant persuasion. His reasons made sense to her as she finally let out sigh in defeat and gave him an ‘okay’.

‘What? Why? I asked after hearing what Bobby had said.

‘Exactly! Why would you stay here for a few days?’ Kei added, looking at him disapprovingly.

‘I can help you take care of her. Two is better than one right? When you go out, I can be with her. I have nothing to do anyways. C’mon Kei. You know what I’m saying is right?’ he answered looking at Kei, not bothering to look at me as if he knew I will give in to his idea anyway.

Kei kept quiet, seemingly considering his idea.

‘Please. I really will take care of her.’ Bobby continued to persuade her.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I spent the next day at home, trying to get used to using crutches. Bobby would always stand beside me when I was walking and if I stumble he would grab my arm. Sometimes I could feel Kei’s suspicious look at Bobby’s treatment towards me.

Towards the end of the day, we watched horror movie. And the three of us screamed a lot of times, I lost count. Kei and I sometimes watch horror movies together. So tonight we thought it would be fun to watch it together. Bobby was not up for it at first, but after the word ‘coward’ escaped from Kei’s mouth, he suddenly agrees to watch. I always find Kei’s and Bobby’s exchange hilarious, they’re always clashing with each other in a funny way.

After the movie, Kei stood up and said “Well, I’m going to my room. You guys have fun” she gave me a wink.

The minute she left, I can feel my nervousness coming as I was reminded of the night in the hospital. Loud silence filled the room and I tried to break the silence by clearing my thought, “maybe i should go to sleep too”

Hearing that, Bobby quickly grabbed my wrist before I can try to stand up, “Wait. Stay here longer”. I was flustered just by his slight touch, yet he was not bothered by it even slightly. Then again, he must have a lot of contact with women all these time. I hushed my thoughts before it start to get into my head.

My mind was finding on what i should say, and I decided, “The movie was scary huh” Lame.

He chuckled, “it was. I never screamed like that for a while” I nodded in return.

The room went silent again. I should’ve just gone to my room.

Suddenly i felt a weight on my shoulder and he said “Let me borrow your shoulder for a while.”

“Something bothering you?” I asked

He is quiet, as if thinking of how to answer my question, before answering, “I’m just thinking about my relationship with my dad”

I softened at hearing what actually is bothering him this whole time. I jerked, causing his head on my shoulder to shoot up in surprise. I cupped his face and said, "You're nicer than you think you are. Do you know that?

His eyes widened at the sudden action, "No."

"You are" I said, again.

"I'm not though"

"Well, I'm telling you, you are." I said it for the third time, my face serious.

He stare at me for several seconds, before chuckling, making me dumbfounded as I failed to find anything funny.

"Are you trying to make me feel better?" he said smiling from ear to ear. And before I was able to argue, he said "You surprise me sometimes, you know"

I quickly pull my hands away from his face, as I realised that I had been cupping his face this whole time. Feeling a blush creeping slowly to my cheeks, I heard him say a soft 'thank you' under his breath.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Before going to my room, I was about to take water when he offered me to take it. But refused as I want to get use to using my crutches. So I end up taking the water myself, but I can feel his steady gaze on my every movement, as if he will catch me if I’m to fall any second.

I was holding the water while struggling to walk at the same time. And from the corner of my eyes I saw Bobby coming towards me. He squat down in front of me, “get on” he said.

I blinked, dumb founded. He added, “Your reward. For doing so well today. And for lending me your shoulder. And, of course, for trying to cheer me up. Gotta give credit for that”

I laughed, “What are you talking about?”

“Just get on!” he urged and I saw the corners of his ears turned red.

I drop my crutches and hop behind his back, still holding my water. I can the heat creeping from my neck, and I knew my ears are mimicking his.

Upon entering my room, he put me down gently on my bed. He initiated a fist bump and said “Goodnight” before leaving my room.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It has been a week after my cast had been removed; Bobby was with me throughout the times when my cast was removed and the check-ups after that.

 

We were in the kitchen, preparing to have breakfast when i found him staring at nothing, eyes empty. I catch him being like this a few times these past days. And I can’t help but wonder what is going on inside his head. I was worried that the fight with his dad affected him a lot but he chose not to talk about it.

I take him back to reality when I said, “You know you can tell me anything right?” while looking at him, worried.

His eyes softened when it met mine and he nodded. His face that was empty was now filled with a warm smile. We stare at each other for what seemed like eternity. I broke the stare when he took a step closer to me. I hesitantly looked up to him and I saw swirls of emotion that made my breath hitched in my throat. His slanted eyes glistened from the light penetrating from the window behind me. I stand there, frozen, didn’t dare to move an inch. All i could hear was my deafening sound of my heart beating.

Bobby moves his head closer as he rested his forehead against mine. I can feel breath, as shaky and unsure as mine.