Chapter 22

Twenty

This is the first time I stepped out of the house this week, and I can already feel the wind on my skin. Taking a glimpse of the sunlight, I can already feel I needed this. This may be a good idea after all. With that, I have slight excitement over today’s outing with Kei.

“Hey! How about we go to the flower festival before cycling?” she exclaimed

“Sure! And thanks by the way” I nudged her while smiling

“Psh. Come on let’s just go!” she waved her arms denying before locking her arms with me.

We finally arrived at the flower festival. There was a circular lawn with path with bed of shrubs around it. The trees are lined up perfectly in their own wooden boxes. In the center there was a pond as large as a small lake with flowering lily pads and a wooden bridge, crossing the middle, where we can look down on the flowers floating above the pond. The flower beds were a riot of rich colors of iridescent blues, pinks and greens, blade like leaves filling up the area. I sighed from the beautiful view of the festival. At least he’s out of my mind for a while.

While we are busy taking pictures, Kei’s phone rings. She picked up and I can tell it’s Hanbin from her expression. She looked happy when she talked to him but she quickly went away when she noticed that I was looking, as if she’s worried I will think of Bobby. I did, actually. I thought how nice it would be if I was still in talking-terms with him. But I shook my head at the thought, wanting to fully distract myself on this outing.

After we finished exploring, we head to the park where we cycle. The weather today is perfect for cycling; Kei picked the right time as expected. As we started to cycle, the sun feels as a hearth-side shawl, comforting, yet as I pedal onwards, the breeze is as welcoming as the sunset air. My eyes are bathed in the passing scenes, seeing the natural hues laid brightly in the open sky. Along the way, I saw a couple, holding hands and laughing while taking lazy strolls. That could not be us. My heart clenches and panged at the thought. And suddenly my thoughts are racing back to all the things that happened a few weeks ago. Time passed but the aching is still as fresh as new. Busy on my thoughts, then out of nowhere there was a tree blocking my way. I was pedaling without paying attention to where I was going. I changed my direction quickly and I didn’t notice that I was now going downhill. I jammed on my brakes to try slowing my bike down, but it was no use. My wheels locked up but the bike kept on moving downhill. I was lost in at trance and after that it all happened too quickly, it was a blur. I heard screeching from my bike and the last thing I heard was a loud thud. I can feel the pain from my leg crippling my mind before I lost consciousness.

 

I opened my eyes to the white tiled ceiling and a stagnant smell of clean cloth mixed with disinfectant. I scanned the room to see its walls are painted with clean cream color and the floor is simply grey. There is a window, where I can see the outside view. Sinking my surroundings, I recalled the bike incident and I realized I’m in the hospital.

“Hyo Kyung? Are you awake?” Kei’s voice snapped me into reality, not noticing she was beside me all this time.

I tried to sit up, as she helped me and get me water.

“Are you okay? Are you feeling dizzy?” she asked, expression full of worry and I just shake my head.

“You had a bike accident and you passed out. I think you hit your head. The doctor also said that you are exhausted from lack of sleep. And you also didn’t eat properly these past week”, she sighed.

“I’m so out of it. Sorry for getting you into all this trouble,” I felt guilty and when I wanted to move my legs, I can feel stiffness from my right leg. And I noticed that my right leg was covered in a cast.

“You’re stupid. Why are you saying sorry even in this situation,” she scolded me before adding, “the doctor said your bone is slightly fractured. Going to wear that for a while” she pointed at the cast.

In the middle of our conversation, the door to my hospital room suddenly bursts open earning a startle from me. My heart stopped and my breath hitched at my throat from the sight. It feels so long ago since I last saw him. It’s him. Bobby. I can see his panting, as if he’s been running all the way. Beads of sweat running down the side of his face and worry are plastered across his face. And when I look closely, I thought I can see fear in his eyes, before it quickly disappears when his eyes met mine, replaced with relieve.

He took long strides as Kei and I watched him, and he reached my bedside, he pulled me into a tight hug. I was engulfed by sudden the sudden warmth that I have been craving for these past week. It’s comforting and I wished he would never let go. But I can still feel the slight aching from the small part of my heart.