Chapter 27

Twenty

I approached the familiar figure. Trusting my gut feeling that something did happen, I asked to the point, “What happen?”

Hearing my voice, he reached my wrist and pulled it without looking towards my direction, as if he knew my voice so well that he didn’t need to confirm it.

“Sit”, he said and I did what he told me to do.

We sat in silence and when I was about to ask the same question, he started “My dad came to campus today.”

I turned my head a little bit too fast, shocked by what I heard. I stared at him, signaling him to continue.

“We talked for a while. He asked me to meet him again. I-” he paused. “I said I don’t want to.”

The regret in his voice obvious. And I asked, “is it the truth?”, earning a rapid head-turn from him. “Do you actually feel that way?”

“No”, he said in a quiet voice.

“That’s great then. You’re already on the right track” I said trying to find his eyes. And just then I see a slight twinkle and hope in his eyes that had been dead and empty a few minutes ago.

“But how-” he stopped in his sentence, trying to figure out how to put his thoughts into words, “how do i-” it’s funny how he’s so tough looking from the outside, but actually there’s this side of him, always trying to figure things out. Just like everyone else. Just like me.

I knew what he was trying to say so I cut him, “text him? Or maybe call him?”

He sighed at my suggestion.

“I can be here while you call him?” I tried.

He let out a smile that melts my whole being. “Thanks” he said

I extended out my fist towards him, initiating a fist bump. He returned the gesture with his signature cheeky grin.

“Whatever you do, I’ll be here.”

“I know” he said

“Usually people would say it back” I nudged him and he let out a cheery laughter. At least he’s laughing now.

“Do you want to come if I’m meeting my dad?”

I stared at him in shock of what he said and he stared back, waiting for my answer.

“Is your dad going to be comfortable with me there? Is it okay? I-I mean if you want me to” i shrugged but deep inside I was contemplating if it’s going to be fine if I go.

------

Today is the meeting day, and I ended up agreeing to come with him. Up until this point, I was still unsure if I had made the right decision. But it’s only one thing that keeps me convinced. To be with him when he needed it.

Bobby and I had arrived in a restaurant and waiting for his dad to come. Nervousness radiating from him, his shoulder slightly slouching and leg shaking. And I would say “Hey, it’s going to be okay”. But deep inside, I felt the same way. Scenes of how today might go wrong flashed through my head countless time last night, and even now. I take a deep breath to calm myself down while making sure Bobby didn’t notice it. Just then, the bell near the entrance chimes and a man around his 50s entered with a face who looked like the guy beside me. My stomach churned and I started to hear my heart beating. I take a deep breath once again.

Bobby’s father seemed surprise to see me but it quickly turned to a glad smile, so welcoming that I felt relieved.

The lunch was tense. His dad kept asking questions to him, but he will always give brief answers.

“I was happy you called me the other day” his dad said and Bobby just nodded, avoiding his eyes as much as possible. I felt bad because I can see that his dad is trying so hard. But at the same time, I knew how hard it must be for Bobby.

“How’s your school?” his dad tried to make small conversations for the umpteenth times.

“It’s fine” he give a curt reply.

“Time flies huh. Now you’ve already entered university”

Bobby nodded again without saying anything and I can see his grip on his fork tightened.

“How’s your mom doing?” I gulped as I heard his dad asked, sensing that this question might lead to something bad.

“She’s great actually. Better than when you’re still with us I can say,” Bobby said sarcastically. My hands moved and rested it on his legs under the table, signaling him to calm down. Then he looked at me, eyes soften. And I gave him a look that says ‘Calm down. You’re doing great’, even though I didn’t know if he get it.

Then he took a deep breath, before saying “I’m sorry, it’s hard to control myself in front of you. I-”

“I know, son. And it’s okay. I understand.” his dad let out a small smile, so small that I could’ve missed it. He continued, “I’m more than thankful and happy that we’re able to eat together like this. I was wrong back then. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. I know it doesn’t change the past but I want just want to apologize to you.”

I looked down, not wanting to interrupt and invade their meaningful exchange.

“I’m sorry too for being rude to you.” he replied in brief, but his tone changed. It became soft and somehow gentle.

----

After lunch, Bobby’s father and I waited outside the restaurant for Bobby who’s going to the restroom.

“It was nice to see you Hyo Kyung. I’m sorry that you need to hear all that just now” his dad gave a fatherly smile.

“Ahh, no it’s okay. I should be the one who apologize for being there. It should be a private talk between the both of you”

“No, Bobby is able to stay calm because of you. Thank you” he said.

Because of me? He then added, “I can see it in his eyes, today and that time too, in the funeral. I was young once too, you know” he chuckled, his smiling face resembling Bobby.

Right at that time, Bobby tap me in the shoulder before I could dwell on what his dad has told me. Then we said our goodbyes and before separating, his dad asked “will I be able to meet you again?”

“Yeah” Bobby answered.

Then his dad opened his arms, asking for a hug. And Bobby tensed, not knowing what to do.

I looked at his dad then at Bobby. I pat his back, giving him an encouraging smile. He then take a step forward and gives his dad a hug.

I smile at the scene before me and my eyes could not help but water, blurring my vision. Thankfully, I was successful in blinking the tears away.

During the hug, I could see that his dad whispered something to his ears.