Chapter 01

Twenty

 It was pitch black in the room.

I try to blindly find my phone as I tried to lift my heavy eyelids.

“6.15 a.m.” my phone lit up. I quickly get up from bed to get ready physically and of course, mentally, for class. It’s the start of the second semester after 2 months of holiday after all. And for a not-so-sociable person, preparing mentally is VERY important. So far, college life has been pretty interesting. I meet a lot of new friends and some even became the person you can tell anything to. Although, somehow I feel anxious, I feel like this semester will be different. A good kind of different? I don’t know.

20 years old, wearing an oversized sweater with ripped shorts, putting on light makeup, spraying sweet powdery scent perfume and ready to go to class.

Arriving to college, I head to the printing area to prepare the lecture notes. When I arrived, the printing station is packed with students. It is the first day after all. I thought to myself and start to queue. In the middle of queuing, I saw this guy that reminds me of someone. He really looks like him. I thought. The difference is just that this guy is the more mature and “intimidating” version of him – my childhood friend, Bobby. I used to play with Bobby when I was 7. His mom and my mom used to be neighborhood friends. My sisters and I would always meet him during the weekends. But I’m closest to him because we are the same age.  And I still remember how his eyes would turn into crescent-moon shape and how his wide smile was plastered across his face. He would always tease me and make me laugh from his playfulness and silliness.

Lost in thoughts, I keep staring at him without realizing him staring straight back at me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I quickly look away and try to act like I’m busy with my phone. After what seemingly a long time, I look up from my phone to check if he is still staring at me. And he still does.

 

Oh. I stare back at him for good 3 seconds before his eyes widen – as if he is starting to recognize my face. I quickly look down at my phone again, feeling the heat slowly creeping from my neck towards my ears and face. God my anti-social side is acting up again. I somehow hated being a shy person. It’s just hard to talk to someone and I blushed even though there is nothing going on. And to top it off, I cannot stop my blush from showing. The more I think about it, the more I can’t stop my blushing.

“Park Hyo Kyung?”

My heart dropped when my name rolled off his tongue, in a voice I don’t recognize. Panic settles in.

“It’s me Bobby!” he said with a slight twinkle in his eyes hoping for me to recognize him back.

It’s him. Then, fond memories started to flood back. I remembered sharing a cup of ice cream together; debating on who gets the last bite. I remembered playing video games at his house until my mother called me to go back home. I remembered laughing at his silly antics. Until one day he was just gone, like none of it ever happened. He left without saying goodbye. When I asked my mother about it, she always avoids the question – which makes things more suspicious. And as I grew up, I forgot about it. But I would be lying if I said I was fine with all that. The thought ended abruptly, as I felt a wave of disappointment all over again.

“Oh! Hi…” I muttered awkwardly, trying to fake a smile.

“You look the same!” He commented.

Well you look different, I thought. “Really?” I replied, trying to be cool. “You look the same too.”

“You’ve grown up well.” He said softly.

Right on cue, my phone buzzes and relieve washes over me as I saw my best friend’s name, Bo Ram, lit up my phone.

“I have to go. It’s good to see you.” I smile thinly, taking the opportunity to leave this awkward union.

I walked quickly as if being there any longer will burn my skin. Then I heard him shout “See you later!” while waving his hands at me, gaining attention.

I glance behind; trying to give the friendliest smile I could muster and notice that people were staring at my direction. I blushed at the unwanted attention. I hope not, I prayed.