Chapter 1

In Your Arms
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I stared at my coffee as the steam elevates within my sight. My eyes played outside from the window; the snow starting to fill the streets, dim western lights, the few people with their umbrellas, and of course, the trees as it catches the flakes. I decided to take a sip and feel it warm up my senses. It felt good. I never liked the cold weather, but I’ll take it if it means that I get to feel this warmth, this calmness. For me, this is perfect.

I picked up the novel sitting on the table, determined to finish its remaining chapters when suddenly someone joined my peaceful bubble.

“Hey, I’m disappointed. You didn’t even invite me.” Lisa said in a hoarse, half-sleeping voice.

She rubbed her right eye, waiting for my answer.

“I assumed you were sleeping.” I said, almost sounding like an excuse.

“But you could’ve just woke me up like I always do to you.”

I just smiled lightly, as I’ve expected that answer beforehand.

Her stare was consistently locked on my coffee, and I saw her eyes shifted a little lower when she realized that I didn’t continue our conversation.

“Do you want to spend time alone?” She said, still not looking at me.

“Maybe. Kind of.” I said bluntly.

Her sluggish mood turned somber. Why is this kid so adorable? I thought to myself, smiling.

“But I don’t mind spending alone time with you.” I said as I wait for her to meet my gaze.

And she did. She beamed at me like she’s winning at life.

We ate, talked, laughed, and spent that time as carefree as we could. It was effortless; her warmth was. I have never felt this comfort with anyone. I have never been myself to this extent.

It was at that very moment when I realized that I’ve really fallen for someone I shouldn’t fall for, for someone I couldn’t just run away from, for someone I should let go the moment I held dearly. I’ve denied it a thousand times, saying that it was purely admiration and my over-protective nature to care. But signs were inevitable; jealousy and longing for her in between minutes were almost unbearable. These plain thoughts were the reason why I wanted to be alone for a while.

 

In between Lisa’s story-telling, my phone rang. It was Jennie.

“Hey, you’re still up?” I answered.

“Yeah. I can’t sleep. I got too worried when you suddenly decided to head back to our apartment. Your ride was three hours long, why aren’t you taking a rest?” She said softly.

“I just slept throughout my ride, its fine. It’s you who should take a rest Jen.”

“I-is Lisa with you?” I felt her curiosity rather than just a question.

“Yeah, we just finished our snack. You want to talk to her?” I answered carefully.

“No, I’m tired. I’ll go sleep, you should too. Tell Lisa I’ll just call tomorrow.”

“Okay. Goodnight Jen.”

“Goodnight.”

“She said she’ll call tomorrow. She’s too tired.” I said to Lisa who then nodded with a soft smile.

“Jennie must’ve been worried. I’m sorry for making you come back here a day early.” Lisa said while trying to avoid my gaze.

I laughed. “Are you crazy? How can I leave

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter