The love that was mine

The Love that was mine

Where there is love there is life.
-Mahatma Gandhi 

 

CHAPTER 36

 

2 years later.

“CONGRATULATIONS GRADUATES!”

The stadium boomed with cheers, colored hats flying everywhere. The commencement exercise had ended, and families came rushing down to greet their sons/ daughters for graduating. The air was filled with laughter and tears, photographs and videos, students tossing the valedictorian in the air.

Yoona watched everything unfold before her, greeting back those who greeted her, taking a few pictures with students from other classes, taking selcas with Kang Sora.

“Congratulations ladies!” Leeteuk grab hold of Sora, spinning her around then hugging her. Yoona smiled as the two exchanged loving looks.

“EWWW GROSS!” a teasing yet equally familiar voice made her spin, her smile already creeping on her face. Eunhyuk had this disgusted look on his face, and were mirrored by his friends, Sungmin and Kyuhyun. Tiffany was slightly laughing. “*cough*public display of affection *cough*”

Leeteuk made a face in response.

“Stop it Eunhyuk.” Tiffany playfully smacked him on the arm. She then took a step and hugged Yoona. “Congratulations Yoona!”

Yoona returned the hug just as warm “Thanks unni. I thought you were busy with college and stuff, so I did not expect you to come.”

Tiffany broke the embrace first. “Nah. I would never let this opportunity slip.”

“yeah. We wouldn’t miss it for the world. Congratulations Yoona.” Eunhyuk spoke and ruffled her hair.

Kyuhyun took a step . “Congratulations Yoona! You’re glowing today. If only that idiot hyung could come—OW!”

He took a tentative step backwards, face contorted with pain as Eunhyuk had smacked him in the gut before he could finish his sentence. “HYUNG!”

“shut up kid!” Eunhyuk grimaced. He looked at Yoona, but she betrayed no emotion. “I’m sorry”

“what are you sorry for sunbae? It’s okay.” She smiled, more like she forced to do so. At the slight mention of Siwon, albeit indirectly, had made her chest tighten. But she had managed to suppress it though, as what she had done for the past years.

Yet Tiffany was watching her closely. She knew that Tiffany was the only one who could see through her, but the latter didn’t do anything to make her feel better. And Yoona was thankful, thankful that she didn’t do anything, because the last thing she wanted to do was cry.

“shall we head downtown and grab a bite?” Tiffany asked enthusiastically.

“I think I shall pass unni. It’s been a long day. Maybe next time?” she tried to sound as excited as she could. The sound of a get-together was good, but she didn’t want to risk hearing anything about Siwon just yet, because even if her friends would try to navigate the topic away from him, she knew that it would eventually slip out. Today was supposed to be a special day; she didn’t want to spoil it by a topic left unspoken.

“well, if that’s what you want.” Tiffany smiled, understanding etched across her face. She smiled back, grateful to have a friend who could understand her even with a mask on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A breeze flew past Yoona, making her hair dance in the setting sunlight. She watched as trees swing left and right, as birds took flight from the distant grass.

She was seated at a bench in the park, across the tree where the cats, Mr.Cat and Honey, took refuge. Their dwelling was empty, as she had predicted, for it was the time for them to look for food. She knew this much, because she had been visiting them for the last couple of years.

After the graduation, her aunt took her to a restaurant, where they had their graduation party, only the two of them. When they arrived home afterwards, she had this sudden urge to go somewhere, and she ended up here. As if her feet had known all along where she wanted to go.

She looked around and savored the quietness of the place. It didn’t change much. The trees were still there,  towering and green, swinging at the mercy of the breeze. She was glad to have known this place, for years have passed and a lot of things have changed, but the park, and everything in it, remained the same.

It still was how she remembered it to be, when Siwon first brought her here.

She hung her head low as she felt the nagging pain in her chest again. Years had passed but the pain did not subside, yet she had managed to control it, because she did not want to make people around her worry. But it didn’t make anything less painful.

She had managed to survive without Siwon by her side with sheer belief alone. Belief that he will return back to her, as what he had written at his last letter. But sometimes, sometimes she wonders, if he will still come back. And it hurts.

She misses him. God. She misses him so much.

“meooowwww”

She heard a cat purr, and a tickling sensation on her legs made her look down. Mr. Cat was rubbing his furry head on her skin, making her slightly giggle. She was about to scoop it on her hands when it suddenly ran away. “hey…Mr. Cat..”

She stood up and followed the cat, who were a few steps before her.

She was inching near the cat, when it suddenly stopped before a pair of brown, leather shoes.

Yoona slowly ran her gaze upwards, to a pair of jeans, blue shirt, muscled arms, strong collarbones, neck, prominent chin, and then to a pair of black, smiling eyes. She felt her heart lurch forward, as if it was about to open her chest.

Siwon.

She just stood there, transfixed, her emotions in turmoil. Was she dreaming? Was it her imagination?

As if to answer her question, the man before her spoke. “I’ve returned.” He said, his voice husky and manly. The same baritone voice Yoona perfectly remembered.

And that where it hit her. Siwon was really before her, smiling, amused at her expression. Siwon.. my Siwon..

“hey.. are you just going to stand there with that awestruck expression on your face?” he continued to smile cheekily. The very smile she missed so much.

She took a tentative step, Siwon’s arms ready to take her in, but instead of embracing him, she clutched her hand in a raging fist and punched Siwon’s face. He staggered backwards.

“what was that ---“

“YOU! I LOATHE YOU! I HATE YOU SO MUCH!”

Siwon blinked, staring at the panting Yoona, dumbfounded. He saw how she was close to tears now. He took a step towards her and engulfed her in a bone-crushing embrace. “I’m sorry…”

Yoona tried to resist, her fist punching Siwon continuously as she poured everything out, including her tears. “why? Why did you leave me like that? You promised me. You promised that you wouldn’t leave me, that you will only leave when I ask you to. But I didn’t. so why?”

Siwon looked at her face. “I still do not want to see you cry. Please, love, stop crying.”

Yet his words only made her sob harder. Siwon hugged her again, caressing her hair, kissing her forehead. God. How she missed this.

“I was selfish, I know. I only thought of my own, disregarding your feelings. But at that moment, I knew I had to do it. Because if you had seen the things I had been through, it will crush you, and that is the last thing I want to do.”

He looked at her again, his eyes full of emotion Yoona couldn’t name.

“but the last two years without you felt like a torture, much more painful and suffocating than the therapies. But I endured everything because I know that you were waiting, because I wanted to come back, to hold you like this, and to love you again.”

He linked his forehead with hers, feeling his breath on her face. She cupped his face with her two hands, and leaned close, until her lips met his.

It was a kiss so passionate that Yoona had to cling to his neck because her knees were giving away. Siwon pulled her closer by the waist, as if something might take her away if he doesn’t hold on to her tighter.

Gasping for air when they part, Siwon spoke hoarsely. “God. I missed you so much.”

“I missed you too.” She said, all the while touching the part where she had punched him. She showered it with little kisses. “I’m sorry for punching you.”

He chuckled. “It’s okay. As long as I get to be kissed, it’s a small price to pay.”

She laughed. “you’re as mischievous as ever.”

“some things never change.” He smiled.

She touched his cheek, feeling the warmth seeping out from his skin. “don’t ever leave me again.”

“I won’t. I promise.” He answered back, kissing the palm of her hand.

As Yoona gazed at his eyes she knew, that their forever was about to start...

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

really. thank you for the support everyone! I had started this fic a year ago, and I enjoyed making it. 

I really appreciate the comments.

i know this fic is not perfect but you guys still read it. 

THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!

:DDD