the Love that was mine

The Love that was mine

 

Let the world stop turning, Let the sun stop burning, Let them tell me love's not worth going through. If it all falls apart, I will know deep in my heart, The only dream that mattered had come true ...In this life I was loved by you."

Bette Midler

 

CHAPTER 33

 

 

“this sir, is called the infinity ring. It is quite famous among couples sir. It symbolizes infinite love. Made with the finest silver.” said the middle aged lady whom Siwon had approached at Tiffany & Co.

He was trying to browse among the jewelries, scanning here and about. But as he is not into jewelries, unlike his mother, he found it hard to choose among many. So he approached the lady, which was a good decision, as she was very patient and helpful.

He scanned the “infinity ring”. Although the design was quite simple, there is something on it that attracts him. Maybe it was because of its name. Infinite. Forever. “I’ll take it.”

The lady put the ring into a small, blue box, where it rested elegantly. He took a swift look at it and smiled, imagining how Yoona would react at this surprise, how beautiful her fingers would look like, when she puts it in.

“here it is sir.” The lady handed him the package.

“thank you.” he took it and went out of the store, then immediately went to his car at the parking lot. He carefully placed the package into his pocket, then went inside his car, started the ignition, and drove towards the main road.

How long has it been since Yoona confessed to him? how many weeks had passed since he let go of his fear and let her know what he truly feels? Days had passed in an instant. But it seemed that everything had happened just yesterday. Every passing day spent with Yoona, no matter how quickly it seemed, was pure bliss. He was very happy with her, and she is with him.

He took a swerve on the road, towards the school. It was Saturday. Graduation rehearsals will start at 1 o’clock in the afternoon. He glanced at his watch. It was already half past twelve. He had actually spent two hours at the store.

When he reached the parking lot of the school, he saw Eunhyuk’s car a few yards away. It parked beside a red convertible, which belongs to Leeteuk. Siwon drove past him and stopped beside a blue Range Rover. He turned the ignition off and went out of the car.

“oh for heaven’s sake! What is wrong with you?!”

Siwon stopped midtracks as he saw Tiffany , fuming and obviously angry. It seemed that it was she who had shouted. Eunhyuk was leaning on his car, red in the face and equally angry. They were in for an argument, about what, he clearly had no idea.

“hey guys!” Siwon interrupted. He walked towards Tiffany and put his arm around her shoulders. “what is this commotion?” he asked lightly

“This Old geezer was jealous of an old friend of mine whom i met when the two of us ate at a restaurant.” Tiffany explained.

“I can’t believe you.” Eunhyuk retorted. “I’m not jealous okay? i just don’t like that friend of yours.”

“what is there not to like? Wasn’t he being nice to you? Even after you treated him like crap?”

“why should I like someone who looks at my girlfriend like somekind of a hunter’s prey?”

“what are you talking about?”

“are you blind?! He was staring at you like you were or something. I didn’t like it. and when we said our goodbyes, and he hugged you, his hand were travelling lower and lower until it was a mere inch from touching your ! That’s why I immeadiately broke that hug off and pulled you towards the car!”

Tiffany was speechless. “I didn’t know. You should have explained to me earlier—“

“oh for the love of God! can’t you give it a rest? Why do you always want to win whenever we have arguments?” Eunhyuk raised his voice.

Tiffany was about to verbally fight back when Siwon interrupted. “HEY! You two. Knock it off!”

The couple went silent for a few seconds until Enhyuk moved towards Tiffany and hugged her. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have raised my voice.”

“No. I should be the one who should say sorry.” Tiffany hugged him back tighter.

Siwon chuckled a bit. The two of them was a constant amusement for him, as they fight like a married couple, but makes up like fresh lovers. They fit well with each other, too well, that the other seemed to be lacking without the other one. At the thought, Siwon touched the package inside his pocket.

“shall we go?” Siwon asked. “we are running late for the rehearsals.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You...complete me...

You had me at hello...you had me at hello...

“Renee Zellweger is really pretty.” uttered Yoona, who was lying comfortably at Siwon’s lap. They were at the latter’s bedroom, enjoying there 3rd movie of the day.

“yeah, and Tom Cruise is pretty handsome too.” Siwon said with innocent eyes. She looked at him and laughed. “are you gay?”

Siwon chuckled.

Yoona sat up and stretched her arms wide. The credits had rolled on the massive screen, ending yet another beautiful movie. Siwon stood up and walked towards the comfort room. “it’s my turn right? Lincoln would be nice. Would you mind?”

“no . its fine.” Yoona heard the comfort room door closed. They decided to alternately choose which movie to watch. While she was into light, chick flicks, Siwon was into action and historical movies. Typical for him she supposed.

She rummaged at his collection of movies, but couldn’t find the DVD. She then walked towards his chest of drawers beside the bed. The first one she opened was full of papers and receipts of some sort. She closed it then proceeded to the next one, which contained a single notebook, a pen, and a small package with a little red ribbon on top.

Curious, she stopped looking through his stuff and was about to take the package out, when a hand immediately took it away from her. She almost shouted. Siwon was standing beside her, face contorted with relief. What was in the package?

“what is it?” Yoona asked, all the more curious at Siwon’s obvious relief.

“n-nothing.”

“you’re not good with secrets you know. What is it?”

“it’s nothing. I’ll give it to you when the right moment comes.”

“it’s for me?” she asked, a little bit shocked.

“nah... i slipped. I shouldn’t have told you that. It’s supposed to be a surprise.” He mumbled. “well yeah...it’s for you.”

“then can i have it?” she stood up and tried to unsuccessfully snatched the package away. Siwon had shifted his hand up. With his height, Yoona couldn’t possibly reach for it. “Okay..okay...i wouldn’t force you.”

Siwon slowly lowered his arm, letting his guard down. Yoona immediately grabbed it from him. “Aha!”

“no—wait—“ he tried to stop Yoona, but she ran as far as she could. Siwon’s room was massive, so there was plenty of space to ran off. He heaved a long sigh.

Yoona slowly took a small box from the package. Heart pounding, she opened the lid. There she saw a ring, the most beautiful she had ever seen. It took all her breath away.

“i was planning to give it to you a few days from now. you know, i was waiting for the perfect moment. I had this grand image in my head, at a fancy restaurant, with soft music coming out from a violin. And we would dance and surprise you with it—“

He stopped when Yoona flung towards him. He caught her and hugged her close. “you’re such a romantic, cheesy guy. Waiting for the perfect moment? Why should you wait? When every moment spend with you is perfect.” She slide down from him and broke the embrace. She looked at her and smiled. “Now, my love, will you do me the honor of putting this on my finger?”

Siwon laughed. He took her hand and slowly put the ring. Just as he had imagined it, the ring fitted perfectly on her finger, like it was made exclusively for her. He brought her hand up and kissed it.

Yoona sniffed. She doesn’t know why her eyes were b with tears. She was just...happy. Very.

Siwon stared at her, his forehead creased with worry. There were tears in her eyes, but it wasn’t because she was in pain. It was rather the opposite, it was of tenderness. She wiped the tears off and smiled broadly.

“God, you are so beautiful.” He leaned close and kissed her tenderly...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“did you invite Siwon?” Yoona’s aunt asked.

She turned her head. “Yes I did.”

The two of them were busy cooking food in the kitchen, preparing for the night’s dinner. There was no occasion. Her aunt just knocked on her room early in the morning, announcing her plans. She was still a bit drowsy when she got up. It was the weekends, and she spent last night talking to Siwon on the phone.

Yoona sliced a pair of pepper and put it on the pan. It sizzled. “what made you decide to do thid anyway?”

“i was really busy this week. I wasn’t able to accompany you for dinner. I invited Siwon to come over because...well...i haven’t really invited him to dinner. The more the merrier.” Her Aunt smiled. “what time did you say he is to arrive?”

“i told him we’ll be ready by seven. Is it alright?”

“hmmm.” The lady looked at the window. The sun had already sunk, and dusk was about to take over. “it’s alright. We are about to finish everything anyway.”

When Yoona and her Aunt finished everything, the two went to their rooms and took a bath. When Yoona was done, she put on a blue dress and combed her hair. She glanced at the window, and saw that it was already dark. It was also raining. She walked towards it, cellphone on her hand, dialling Siwon’s number.

“hey my love.” Siwon answered sweetly.

Yoona smiled. “hey. Where are you now?”

“I’m in my car, about to start the ignition. I’ll be there in no time.”

“good. Or else you will miss my superb cooking.”

Siwon laughed. “I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

“i’m sure you wouldn’t” she laughed softly. “gotta go. I won’t keep you on the phone. It’s dangerous while driving.”

“okay. ummm...Yoona?”

“Yes?”

“I love you. Always remember that.”

Yoona smiled. “I love you too. so much. Do not forget that too.”

“I won’t. I’ll always keep that in my heart. Forever. Goodbye my love.”

“Goodbye.” She turned the call off.

I love you. Always remember that. His voice echoed in her mind as she touched the ring on her finger. The rain became louder and harder as she stood there, smiling happily.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Siwon drove into the night, ignoring the heavy downfall of rain. The road was quite deserted, so it was easy for him to swerve past buildings and trees.

A soulfoul song came out from his radio and hummed along with it. a few minutes had passed. He took a glance at the sky. It was utterly dark, and the downpour became heavier as minutes passed by. He smiled. the rain reminded him of the time where he had run and followed Yoona, and gave her an umbrella. How hollow she looked back then. Lifeless. It was a long time ago. She was past that now, and he could see that she was happy.  With him.

He stopped as the traffic light turned red. Though deserted, he’s a law-abiding citizen, he dare not sped up. Plus, the road was slippery. And it could be undauntingly dangerous.

As the traffic light turned green, he manaouvered the car forward. When he was at the center of the crossing, he heard a loud, screeching noise, accompanied by a beeping sound. He looked sideways.

To his horror, a large truck came thrashing down his direction. He tried to change gears, but too late, the trucks’ headlight blinded him. he couldn’t do anything. He screamed, but it was buried by a loud BANG! As metal to metal came in contact with each other to form a most severe collision.

Siwon’s car toppled upside down, the passenger side deformed.

The rain splattered more than ever, as Siwon’s seatbelt came loose, letting him slide towards the road, with shreds of broken glasses all over him, his head covered with blood.

He lay motionless, as everything flashed before his eyes. His brother, Kangta, who had protected him from the goons, his brother’s death, in exchange for his own life, his father, who took the bullets in order for him to live, his mother...his sweet, kind, gentle mother...crushed at their deaths. He remembered how happy they were before that, the family photoshoot, late night snacks, the campings, the laughters and occasional tears.

Memories after memories came flooding back. Eunhyuk, his bestfriend...their banters and silly misdemeanours...from being kids...to boys...until they became men. Tiffany...her contorted face whenever she gets angry...her cries whenever the two of them bullies her when they were kids...how sorry he was after making her cry...he remembered everyone that has been part of his life...the family doctor, the priest on the church, his teachers...classmates...basketball mates...Kyuhyun...Leeteuk...Sungmin...

Another memory came, of a clear blue sky, where he was walking on school grounds. He bumped a girl. She who had become the most significant human being in his world. She whom he had sworn to protect and love with all his heart and soul. Yoona. my dear Yoona. He thought. He remembered her lifeless eyes, her cute scowls, her laughter, her tears...the time they confessed to each other...their first kiss...the blissful hugs...how beautiful she is in his eyes...how beautiful she looked while crying and smiling at the same time, when he gave her the ring...how her voice sounded so sweet even on the phone...saying how she loves him too...

My sweet...sweet...Yoona...forgive me...

Tears came flooding from his eyes...washed away by the rains’ constant downpour. He layed still, as everything slowly became pitch black.

My Yoona...I Love You...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“He’s late.” Yoona announced frantically.

“yeah. He’s an hour late.” her aunt seconded. Seing Yoona’s worried face; she added “don’t worry too much. Maybe he just came across a traffic jam.”

Yoona sat up, trying to calm herself. Siwon was never late. She tried to call him a number of times, but he couldn’t be reached. She was trying to kill the unsetteling feeling growing inside her. Where are you?

She sat down again and took a glass of water, but it came loose in her grasp, as her hands were shaking. It spiralled down on the floor, and with a loud crashing sound, it broke. She crouched down and picked the pieces.  

“Be careful” uttered her aunt.

She did not respond, as she collected the pieces yet again. But because her hands were shaking more uncontrollably now, a broken piece pierced right through her skin. “Ow”

“are you alright? Did you cut yourself?” her aunt asked.

“yeah.” She answered. Her voice shaking, her heart beating nervously. She doesn’t believe in omens, but what just happened made her all the more anxious.

She dropped the glasses on the trashcan and examined her hand. the cut was situated on the finger in which the ring was placed, and it had colored the ring with crimson red. She took the ring off, as she suspected that the cut had bore through, and she was right. She washed the ring first, and then put it aside.

She reached for the soap, but as she did so, her elbow knocked the ring off. It descended towards the floor. Ignoring her wound, she crouched down again. She was about to pick it up when the phone inside the pocket of her dress rang.

Startled a bit, she took it out of her pocket, hoping it was Siwon. But it was Tiffany.

“Hey unni.”

A silence so disconcerting was Tiffany’s reply. She also heard a stifled sob. Yoona’s heart was beating rapidly now. “unni....”

“Yoona...Yoona....Siwon....”

Yoona’s eyes flooded with tears upon hearing the news...Siwon...Siwon...

She dropped the phone. She felt utterly weak, like she was robbed with her own life, like she was dying. A memory flashed in her mind, the conversation on the phone....

“okay. ummm...Yoona?”

“Yes?”

“I love you. Always remember that.”

 “I love you too. so much. Do not forget that too.”

“I won’t. I’ll always keep that in my heart. Forever. Goodbye my love.”

Her gaze drifted towards the ring. With her hand shaking, she picked it up. The light from the ceiling illuminated it. Pain so unbearable engulfed her. It was like she was torn in pieces, every bit of her own flesh tingled with grieving. She saw, inside the ring a single word engraved in black.

FOREVER

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

its been so many months since i last updated. I'm really sorry T_T