The Love that was mine

The Love that was mine


"Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart."

- Marcus Aurelius Antoninus 

 

CHAPTER 22

 

 

Ten consecutive wins and Siwon’s team had already reached the championship game.

They had again proven themselves that they were a team to beat upon winning the qualifying game for finals. Everyone from the school, students and faculties alike were very excited at the upcoming championship game. Whenever one of the team members’ passes by, students would wish them luck and give them encouraging words. The school corridors and classrooms were almost full of banners supporting the team.

With success comes fame as well. The members were becoming the object of adoration amongst the female species. The boys’ lockers were filled with letters and various gifts every day. Students, especially the girls, would bashfully offer them food and flowers. They would politely accept them. Sungmin would actually go out of his way and thanked them with his cutesy manner, making the girls swoon.

But perhaps the craziest fan gift ever given was the one received by Eunhyuk. It was wrapped with a pink heart-filled paper. When he opened it nonchalantly, Eunhyuks’ face became tomato-red. He tried to hide the gift, so as the members would not see it, but Kyuhyun was quick, he snatched it from Eunhyuk. All of them who saw what it was laughed so hard, their eyes teary with mirth. Kyuhyun was pounding the floor with his fist, as he could not control his laughter.

The pink-wrapped gift contained a very skimpy black , complete with laces and Eunhyuk’s embroidered photo at the front portion.

“Hyung, I didn’t know that you could be that handsome in a girl’s undergarment. “ Kyu teased in between laughs.

Yoona could not suppress her laughter as well when Tiffany told her the whole story. When she had calmed down, she asked Tiffany,

“Unnie, where is it now? The infamous underwear?”

Tiffany’s face was smug. “I burned it to ashes.”

Yoona choked. “Oh...did you find out the person who sent it?”

Tiffany’s eyes sparkled devilishly. “yes I did. She was from another school, the one our team had fought a few weeks back.”

“Is that so?” Seeing her unnie’s face, Yoona asked. “You didn’t do anything to her, did you?”

“What? No.” Tiffany then smiled sweetly. “I just told her that if she ever does something like that again, I will banish her from South Korea, together with her whole family.”

Yoona’s eyes widened. “you threatened her unnie?”

It was Tiffany’s turn to laugh. “It was a joke Yoona. I just sent her the ashes, with a note that says, you are the most disgusting kid I’ve ever known.

“Kid?”

“She was still in her first year of middle school, Yoona.”

The boys were also gaining recognition from the ladies of other schools. Girls from other institution would flock outside the schools’ gate, craning their necks, hoping to see a glimpse of any of the boys, and their captain, Siwon. When walking in the streets, the boys would find themselves taking pictures with girls they do not even know. A situation which always happens to Siwon.

One time, when Siwon and Yoona were out on the streets, trying to find some place to eat after an afternoon of watching a movie, a pretty girl with revealing clothes approached them.

“ah excuse me, are you Choi Siwon?”

“yes.” Siwon replied.

“Wow. You’re really handsome up-close.” The girl was staring at him with awe. “I saw your last game. You made our school’s captain cry when your team defeated them. I’m a fan.” And she smiled seductively.

“thank you.” Siwon smiled politely.

The girl opened her bag and retrieved her camera. “would you mind?” she asked.

“no problem.” Siwon obliged.

 The girl looked at Yoona, then at her hand which was holding Siwon’s arm. Yoona saw how the girl’s expression turned sour. Siwon did not seem to notice. She offered her camera “would you mind taking the picture?”

Yes I would. “I don’t mind.” she then took the camera and positioned herself in front, facing both the girl and Siwon.  She lifted the camera and spoke, “say cheese, one, two, three...”

The girl snuggled closer to Siwon and put her hand to his waist, her face on his chest. Siwon was disoriented at the girl’s promiscuous behaviour.

Without the girls’ notice, Yoona had zoomed the image until all that could be seen on the screen was Siwon’s face. She clicked the button.

“another one please?” the girl requested.

Yoona compelled, and took another zoomed-in photo. She chuckled at her own mischief. She returned the camera back to the girl, then went to Siwon’s side. The latter automatically held her hand.

The girl put the camera back to her bag, without even checking whether the photos were correctly snapped.

“would you like to join me for dinner Siwon oppa?” the girl asked.

She’s fast. Yoona thought.

Siwon smiled. “I’m sorry but I have other plans.”

The girl caught on. “Oh, don’t worry about your friend here. I’m sure she could find her way back home right? She’s not a kid anymore.”

As sudden as a bolt of lightning, Siwon’s amiable face turned into resentment. In a tone that made the girl cringed, he spoke.

“I’m declining because I don’t like girls who are as impolite as you are. You better watch your words lady.” And with that, Siwon, together with Yoona, walked away, leaving the girl speechless.

That kind of situation would occur for at least three times a week. Girls would either want a photo or an autograph of Siwon. Some would act the same way as “the girl” did whenever they see Yoona, but most of them were kind-hearted enough to just back off. Same thing had happened to the other boys as well, though not as often as Siwons’. These weird and unusual encounters became their primary topic when the group, together with Yoona and Tiffany, went out to celebrate Kyuhyun’s birthday.

“Yesterday, I was chased by a dog.” Kyuhyun spoke in a frightened voice.

“What happened?” Tiffany asked.

“well, there was this girl who asked my phone number. She was holding the leash of a bulldog. Imagine the fright I felt when the dog started to bark at me.” He shivered. “The girl ordered it to shut up, and to my relief, the dog followed. The girl asked me again. I politely declined since I do not know her. so she instead asked if she could take a photo with me, I agreed. When she rummaged through her bag to find her camera, she accidentally dropped the dog’s leash. It was then that all hell broke loose. I ran as if my life depended on it. The dog chased me, while its owner was chasing it. We looked like contestants of a marathon, with me as the leading participant.”

“Why are you afraid of dogs, sunbae?” Yoona inquired.

It was Siwon who answered. “A dog bit him when he was about seven years old.”

“What happened then?” Eunhyuk asked.

“the girl shouted ‘STOP’, to which the dog obeyed. Really, I was out of breath running like mad when all it took to make the dog stop was its owners’ command. The girl apologized to me nonstop.”

“at least you weren’t chased by a man.” Sungmin spoke and sighed dramatically.

“What makes that frightening than a dog?” Kyuhyun asked.

Sungmin paused for effect. “At least you weren’t chased by a man who wanted to ask your hand for marriage.”

“WHAT?!” the boys shouted. It was then followed by loud laughter.

“Yeah. I was horrified I immediately went to my car and drove fast.”

The groups’ random talk was interrupted by a phone ringing. Leeteuk took out his phone and excused himself. He stood up and went a distance away from their table.

He was smiling when he returned. “Sorry guys but I have to go. Happy birthday Kyu.”

“Where are you going?” Sungmin asked.

“somewhere.” He then walked out and bid farewell.

“Something’s off with Leeteuk lately.” Siwon said when Leeteuk had left.

“Yeah. I think he’s hiding something.” Eunhyuk agreed.

“What made you say so, sunbae?”

“well, he always leaves first, like what he did just now, and he always calls someone during our free time.”

“plus, he’s  in a good mood. I even caught him singing a love song.” Kyu added.

“Maybe he’s courting someone.” Tiffany concluded.

“but I thought he’s already engaged with Sora?” Yoona was getting a bit confused.

Siwon responded. “Yeah. I asked him about the dinner the two families had organized, but he merely said that it went fine.”

Yoona felt sympathy for Sora. She had become her friend after the gift-incident. Sora was bubbly, kind, sincere and innocent. Yoona had discovered, base on the girl’s behaviour that she was indeed in love with Leeteuk.

“Poor Sora. She’s head over heels with him. This piece of information will surely break her heart.” Yoona sighed.

“I do hope that this affair will not end in vain. We can’t blame Leeteuk though for falling in love with someone else. You really can’t do anything when it hit you.” Tiffany smiled and put her head at Eunhyuk’s shoulder. The latter kissed her temple.

“Bleech...! Don’t turn lovey-dovey in front of me please! It’s gross!” Kyu’s face was full of disgust.

“You will eat your words soon Cho Kyuhyun.” Eunhyuk said, ignoring Kyu’s puking drama. He then looked at Siwon. “Don’t you agree with Tiffany, Siwon?”

Yoona was still contemplating at Sora’s misfortune that she did not notice Siwon’s soft gaze solely directed at her.

“Yes, I agree.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The mystery surrounding Leeteuk’s behaviour was unveiled one afternoon.

The team had arrived at the school gym, went to the locker room and changed their uniforms to casual t-shirts and shorts. Yoona and Tiffany was sitting at the bench, talking about some random things. The team had returned back to the gym, shooting and dribbling before commencing their usual practice.

“Where’s Leeteuk? He’s late.” Their captain, Siwon, asked the whole bunch.

No one answered. Then, out of the blue, they heard this screeching noise coming from the entrance gate. All of the people on the gym turned their heads towards it. A hand pushed the gate open, and then Leeteuk’s whole figure immerged.

“Sorry I’m late.” The hand which he used to open the gate was now holding his bag steady, while his other hand was clasping a tiny set of fingers.

“What an unexpected surprise.” Tiffany uttered, half astonished, half amused.

Yoona’s eyes travelled from Leeteuk’s hand up to the face of the person behind him, the owner of the little fingers. She was so dumbfounded that her hand covered her awestruck mouth.

The person behind Leeteuk was none other than Kang Sora, and she was blushing from her forehead down to the very tip of her chin.

Leeteuk walked towards the court, with Sora behind him. Yoona and Tiffany stood up and went near them. Everyone was silent, waiting for Leeteuk to speak. He then put his arm around Sora.

“Everyone, this is Sora...Sora, this is everyone.”

Sora bowed her head. “I-It’s n-nice to finally meet all of you” she was looking at the ground.

“nice to meet you too.” Kyuhyun replied. “So this is what you were hiding hyu---“ Sungmin smacked him on the back.

“Sorry, he choked himself upon seeing your beautiful face. I’m Sungmin.” Sungmin showed his “Casanova” smile.

“hey, hey, Sungmin, don’t act like that towards my fiancé, she’s mine.” Leeteuk protested in a very protective manner.

“fiancé?” Tiffany asked, wide-eyed.

“yes” Leeteuk responded in a serious tone.

Yoona saw Soras’ uncomfortable stance. She was becoming redder by the minute. Yoona looked at Siwon, and signalled him to make his mates go back to practice. hHe understood.

Siwon clapped his hands three times, “okay, let’s go back to practice.”

All of them followed and resumed their last position. Leeteuk faced Sora, and touched her cheek. “will you be alright?” he asked.

Sora nodded.

Yoona stepped forward. “Don’t worry sunbae, Tiffany unnie and I will take good care of her.” If not for Soras’ embarrassed expression, Yoona would laugh at her own statement of assurance. It was like she had spoken the words of a bodyguard.

“don’t worry oppa, I’ll be fine” Sora whispered.

Leeteuk gave her a kiss on the cheek, and then ran towards the direction of the locker room.

Sora turned to face Tiffany and Yoona, who was still a bit speechless. She covered her face with both of her hands. “What should I do, I feel like my heart is going to explode Yoona..”

Yoona smiled. “are you that happy Sora?”

Sora answered her with a very sweet smile.

Yoona held her hand. “I’m so glad.”

“you have to tell us the whole story Sora, I’m Tiffany by the way.” Tiffany offered her hand.

Sora shook it happily. “nice to finally meet you unnie.”

“you know what? This calls for a celebration.” Tiffany’s eyes gleamed. “Let’s go and have some desert, my treat.”

Before Yoona and Sora could respond, Tiffany had already caught the attention of the boys. “We’re going to have some time out okay?”

Siwon and Leeteuk reacted simultaneously.

“where are you taking Sora?”

“where do you plan to take Yoona, Tiffany?”

Tiffany rolled her eyes. “My God. Do I look like I’m going to take them somewhere dangerous? I’m not a kidnapper you know.”

“so where are you taking her?” Leeteuk wouldn’t budge.

Tiffany rolled her eyes again. “relax. I’m taking them to Kona Beans okay?” and with that, she dragged both Yoona and Sora out of the school gym.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“so Sora, tell us the whole story.” Tiffany asked eagerly.

The three of them were at Kona beans, sitting at a table near the counter. True to her words, Tiffany treated them with a wide variety of deserts. Yoona wondered how they could actually finish everything.

“should I start from the beginning?” Soras’ face was flushed.

“that would be awesome.” Tiffant replied. Sora and Tiffany had warmed up to each other pretty easily. Yoona wasn’t surprised though. Both were friendly and nice.

Sora breathed out. “The summer before my freshman year, I found out that my father had decided to arrange my marriage with the son of owner of Park Hospitals. I was really angry at my father; he already knew that I hate that kind of agreement. It was the first time that I defied my fathers’ wish. I tried to talk him out of it, but tough luck. I tried to convince my mother, but she has the same sentiments as my dad.  so in order to make my father listen to me, I locked myself in my room and refused to eat.”

“really? You didn’t eat?” Yoona asked.

Sora smiled mischievously. “well, I sneaked out of my room in the middle of the night, when everyone was asleep. I stole food from the kitchen and hid them beneath my bed. So while my father was worried sick about me, I was watching a movie, eating my favourite cake.”

Tiffany laughed. “naughty girl.”

“anyways, when my father could no longer take it, he went to my room and told me that he would no longer force me to marry that guy. Then he handed me this brown envelope and left. I was curious, so I retrieved the one photo the envelope contained. Leeteuk oppa was smiling on the photo, his dimple showing. As simple as it was, I fell in love.”

“love at first sight of his photograph.” Tiffany laughed.

“really unnie, it just hit me. when my father found out about my blossoming feeling, he was very happy, and that he would inform the father of Leeteuk oppa immediately. The funny thing was, oppa doesn’t know about the arrangement yet. My father was actually waiting for my reaction before confirming anything. I so wanted to meet him, and since he does not yet knows that I existed, I enrolled in the school in which he was studying.”

“the first time I saw him in person was memorable. I was walking in the corridor, when I looked up, I saw that he was walking towards me. my mind went blank, I was just staring at his face, I didn’t notice the puddle of water on the floor. I slipped in front of him.” Sora’s face was red upon recalling the memory.

“he helped me, and I fell in love even more. That day onwards, my eyes were all for him, but I couldn’t possibly tell him how I feel, because I get really clumsy when he’s near.”

“I was informed that you and Teuk’s parents had arranged a dinner date for the two of you. What happened?” Tiffany asked.

“well...I told you that I get really clumsy when he’s near right? I was so nervous I went straight to the bathroom after five minutes of meeting him. when I went back to our table, I bumped the incoming waiter, causing him to lost his balance and pour all of the tray’s contents at oppa’s lap.”

“what?” the two girls uttered.

“yeah...I thought that he would hate me for sure. I kept on apologising, bowing my head low. To my surprise, he held my hand and made me sit back to my chair. He was smiling, and then he said to me that...that...” Sora’s face had again turned red.

“what is it?” Yoona asked.

“he said...’I like you. We should go out again soon, not because of our parents’ orders, but because of our own free will.’”

Tiffany chuckled. “that sly dog.”

“we were in constant communication after that. We went out. A few weeks later, he asked me if I could be officially his girlfriend, and I said yes.” Soras’ eyes gleamed.

“that was fast.” Tiffany commented. “but base on Leeteuk’s recent behaviour, I do think that he’s being real. I’m so happy for the two of you.”

Yoona still could not believe how fast everything had happened between Sora and Leeteuk. Tiffany saw her worried expression. “It’s okay Yoona. I’m sure Leeteuk will take good care of our Sora. You know, Eunhyuk and I didn’t experience the normal courting process. He just asked me to be his girlfriend, I agreed. We love each other dearly, even after four years of being together.”

“oh, oppa’s coming, he said that basketball practice had ended.” Sora was holding her phone, smiling.

Tiffany had her phone out as well, reading a message. “yeah, Eunhyuk’s coming too."

A ringing sound from her pocket made Yoona jumped. She took her phone out and answered it.

“hi there little kitten.” It was Siwon.

Yoona smiled. “yes oppa?” she emphasized the last word.

Siwon chuckled. “practice is over. I’m coming to pick you up”

“okay. I think aunt’s looking for me already.”

“oh, no. I’ve asked permission from your aunt. You’re not going home yet.”

Yoona frowned. “where are we going?”

“I’ll fill you in when I get there. don’t miss me that much okay?”

“some guts you have. Don’t come near me or I’ll kick your .” Yoona teased.

Siwon was laughing on the other line. “fierce....wait for me okay?”

“okay” Yoona replied. She was still smiling when she pressed the end button.

Leeteuk appeared ten minutes later, kissed Sora on the cheek and sat beside her. Eunhyuk followed and sat beside Tiffany. Siwon was the last to arrive.

Yoona saw how the other costumers, especially the girls, turned their heads towards Siwon’s direction. But he did not seem to care, his eyes were all for Yoona. When he reached their table, he sat beside her and pinched her cheek. Yoona playfully smacked his hand.

“miss me?” he teased.

Yoona rolled her eyes. “I don’t”

“of course you do, your face lit up when you saw me.”

“yah!” Yoona punched him.

“okay! Okay! I’m just kidding...” Siwon laughed and pinched Yoona’s nose. “shall we go?” he stood up and offered his hand.

Yoona accepted it, and stood up.

“where are you two going?” Tiffany asked.

“yeah. Where are we going?” Yoona looked at Siwon as well, her face furrowed.

Siwon smiled in a way that made Yoona all the more curious.

“It’s a secret.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's kinda long...but I hope everyone likes it :D

I did include a little  of Leeteuk-Sora moments...I like them...kekeke...

sorry if some words were kinds repetitive...

I'll update soon...I really enjoy making this story...