The Love that was mine

The Love that was mine

The most important things are the hardest to say, because words diminish them."

- Stephen Edwin King

 

CHAPTER 11

 

 

Yoona was perplexed at Tiffany’’s statement. “I do not understand unnie...”

Tiffany softly smiled at her and sighed. “I’m not the right person to tell you anything Yoona, nobody is, really, except Siwon himself.” She held Yoona’s hand. “...soon...he will open up to you...”

 “Tiffany baby!” Eunhyuk called, he was walking towards Tiffany. The two girls didn’t notice that the first half of the game had ended already. Tiffany immediately stood up and hugged Eunhyuk.

“I see you’ve already met Tiffany” It was Siwon. Yoona didn’t notice him coming. She stared at him, the conversation she had with Tiffany echoed in her mind.

“What? Is there something on my face?” Siwon asked.

Yoona looked down. “...no...nothing...”

“Captain, Eunhyuk hyung, second half is about to start.” Kyuhyun called.

Eunhyuk and Siwon left. Tiffany blew a flying kiss towards Eunhyuk. The latter caught it and kissed back. Yoona found the two somewhat amusing.

She stared at Siwon’s profile. He was smiling brightly while talking to his bestfriend, Eunhyuk. As if sensing her gaze, Siwon turned his head and looked back at her, and waved.

She thought about what Tiffany had said.

...even after that incident...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The event that had happened yesterday, wherein Yoona was harassed by wild girls, became the topic of the whole school. Apparently the girls told everyone who would pay attention everything that had taken place. “don’t you see? She’s making Siwon oppa a bad person.” They would conclude. However, upon hearing the story, the other students thought that what the girls did was terrible, and that whatever treatment Siwon had given them was acceptable. Some students then reported the girls to the disciplinary committee, where they were punished by suspension for a week.

From being the object of distaste, everyone now admired Yoona. Everyone revered the way she carried herself, she didn’t resort to physical fight, different from what other girls would have done. The student’s admiration and respect for Siwon had increased as well, for the way he had protected Yoona. Much like Superman, and her Lois Lane.

But Yoona didn’t give an ounce of care. Her mind is still occupied by the news Tiffany had told her yesterday. She would scold herself for thinking too much about it, when it’s not even her business. And it will never be her business, it’s not like they were going to be friends forever....

A pang of sadness unexpectedly crossed Yoona’s heart as she realized that in a few days, their deal would come to an end. She wouldn’t admit it, but she was so used to Siwon’s presence by now that she had almost forgotten about the deal. Its ironic how she had detested it before and how she would like to be his friend for more than a month now....

She shook her head.That’s ridiculous Yoona, you’ve only known him for almost a month. Weren’t you dying to get out of this deal?

“A penny for your thoughts”  

Yoona’s heart jumped. She was so shocked she instinctively put her hand on her chest. Siwon laughed.

“You rascal. When will you stop doing that?” she punched his arm a few times.

“Ow! Ow!”

Yoona stopped punching him; she resolved to toss him dark looks.

Siwon chuckled. “My my, you have a very impressive strength for a girl.”

Yoona did not answer.

“I’m sorry Yoona-shii, don’t be mad. You were so occupied with whatever it is that you were thinking you didn’t even notice me walking by your side. So I did that. So childish of me I know.” He then looked at her with huge, puppy eyes.

Yoona couldn’t help it. She sniggered. “What an ugly dog.”

“Ouch, those words pierced some arrows through my heart.” And he acted like an arrow really did hit him.

“Whatever. What are you doing here anyway?”She asked.

Siwon shook his head. “You were really busy with your thoughts. It’s lunch break already.”

“Oh” was her only response.

“I’ve come here, as I usually do Im Yoona-shii, to ask you to eat lunch with me.” he breathed out.

Yoona sniffed “stop the litany, let’s go now.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They sat at a table beside the glass wall, overlooking the school ground. It was the seat Yoona had chosen the first time they ate together. Siwon, as always, was the one who went to the counter and picked the food. When he returned, Yoona was taken aback at the amount of food he had selected.

“Are you perhaps planning to feed an elephant?” Yoona looked at Siwon, eyes wide.

Siwon laughed. “Well if you consider yourself an elephant, maybe so.”

Yoona reached out and punched him again.

“Okay! Okay!” Siwon raised his two hands, “you punch like a man”

“You’re irritating me!”

Siwon laughed. “I ordered a large bunch of food because I will not be in school tomorrow.”

Yoona looked at him. So he really will be absent. “And what is that got to do with food?”

“Well, I will not be with you at lunch tomorrow, so this food now serves as a lunch date for today and for tomorrow. I don’t want to miss lunch breaks with you, but due to unavoidable circumstances...” He sighed.

The two of them fell silent.

Before Yoona could stop herself, she looked at Siwon and asked the question that has been bothering her since yesterday. “Why would you be absent tomorrow?” she almost smacked herself for blurting that question out.

Siwon avoided her eyes. A moment passed before he answered. “...I have... some matters to attend to...” It was the first time Yoona witnessed Siwon’s uneasiness.

“Is that so?” Yoona picked her spoon and fork. “Then we really have to finish these.” She then started to eat the food in front of her.